What's new

2 months in and I am really getting it figured out

I don't recall how I ended up on B&B and discovering the world of wet shaving. I remember my first reaction was "there are people who post pictures of brushes with shaving cream on them? What kind of world have I wandered into?" A few weeks of lurking and I took the plunge and bought a Viking razor, brush and TOBS sandalwood cream on Amazon. Soon after I got a Merkur 34C. Early on there was a Saturday morning where I did not have a good shave. Bleeding in multiple locations, so much so that my daughter even told me "Dad, you didn't have a good shave". One of my friends stopped by and must have been thinking I was crazy for doing this. And this after I had told how much fun I was having wet shaving and that he should check it out. Well, 2 months in I can most definitely say it's much better. This morning I had a very close to BBS 3 pass shave with my Timeless razor. Minimal irritation and even went ATG on my upper lip to no detriment. Shaving my neck was about the last challenge and I have learned what to do there.
Loving this more and more everyday. Starting to lurk on the straight razor forum now, not sure if I am really up for that. If I could reign in my SAD and BAD that would be nice.

Thanks to all who post on B&B. All the information here has been more that helpful.
Happy shaving!

Last edited:
Glad to hear it's clicking for you. Just gets better. And it's mandatory to try many soaps, brushes, razors, and blades to find what works best for you. At least that's what you can say to justify it to your wife!

Brushes are Maggards and Razorock synthetic, Semogue 610 & SOC. Simpson Colonel. AOS badger. Colonel and 610 are my favorites. Haven't used the SOC yet, it has a lot of backbone. I'll probably tomorrow as I'll have time to really try it out.
Soaps? More than 10 less than 30. The standards that get talked about here. Cella, Tabac, Stirling, Soapy Sudsery, Captain's Choice, Stone Cottage, TOBS, Mike's, Lisa's Herbal and Maggard's. I have wised up and buying more samples and really trying to halt the SAD. Buying samples allows me to try them out and not spend to much $$$. The Timeless and my Rockwell 6C are both great. I don't think I could pick one over the other.
I tell myself I am done. I think I am :)
Don't really need any more brushes, happy with my razors and I'd like to burn up some soaps before acquiring more.
I believe to follow through with not buying another thing I'd need to stop coming to B&B!!

Brushes are Maggards and Razorock synthetic, Semogue 610 & SOC. Simpson Colonel. AOS badger. Colonel and 610 are my favorites. Haven't used the SOC yet, it has a lot of backbone. I'll probably tomorrow as I'll have time to really try it out.
Soaps? More than 10 less than 30. The standards that get talked about here. Cella, Tabac, Stirling, Soapy Sudsery, Captain's Choice, Stone Cottage, TOBS, Mike's, Lisa's Herbal and Maggard's. I have wised up and buying more samples and really trying to halt the SAD. Buying samples allows me to try them out and not spend to much $$$. The Timeless and my Rockwell 6C are both great. I don't think I could pick one over the other.
I tell myself I am done. I think I am :)
Don't really need any more brushes, happy with my razors and I'd like to burn up some soaps before acquiring more.
I believe to follow through with not buying another thing I'd need to stop coming to B&B!!

Have you started looking at the challenge of Straight Razors yet?

I was in the same place as you. Just got into wet shaving. Picked up an EJ DE89 then a Rockwell 6S. Then a few vintage Gillette razors. All was good until I ran across Straight Razor shaving... Now I have 2 Straight razors (a 3rd on the way) and am learning a brand new way of shaving (my 1st real attempt will be tomorrow).
Go over to the straight razor section, HERE, and start reading. See if it peeks your interest.
Here are 2 pictures of the razors I already have at home waiting for me to use...

Kokak, my good sir, your advice re straights is the sort of thing that could put ideas in a young man's mind. Nice work.

Roosty, you made no mention of aftershaves or balms. I hope you are not denying yourself the pleasures thereof...

Last edited:
Kokak, my good sir, your advice re straights is the sort of thing that could put ideas in a young man's mind. Nice work.

Roosty, you made no mention of aftershaves or balms. I hope you are not denying yourself the pleasures thereof...

LOL... I am going down hard and will take as many with me as I can... LOL

Have no worry, I am buying those as well. I am a fan of the Fine aftershaves right now. But of course, I have to try others.

Top Bottom