What's new

2 Gillettes in a flea mall find

Those razors cleaned up reasonably well to be able to be put into use; join the Superspeed Saturday club for instance. A light application of metal polish or Brasso may get a better result on the cap and brass doors respectively.
I don't think plating the Tech would be worthwhile but the Superspeed may be worthy of consideration.

What would make the Tech less worthwhile than the Superspeed?

I wouldn't get either replated. I think you can find pristine Techs for less than the cost of replating. The Tech, by the way, is a Prewar tech, it's a smooth shaver! If you decide to replate, I suggest going to Razorplate.com or Backroadsgold. Many years of many terrible customer problems with Razor Emporium, search B & B & you'll find out for yourself. Not only poor plating & refurbishing, stay away from buying any refurbished razors from them also. They overcharge by 3x - 4x. Highway robbery.

Sent an email to Razorplate last night, and BRG is down for the time being..
I didn't know about the problems with Razor Emporium. Hopefully my dad's Super Speed gets back from them soon.
When I sent it in to them, I didn't know anything... Now i don't know much... but I have been learning.
How can you tell it's pre-war Tech?

If you have some Flitz or Maas or Simichrome and a microfiber cloth, you might be able to get the Tech a lot cleaner with just a bit of elbow grease.

Both those razors look like they were 'rode hard and put away wet,' as the old saying goes.

After talking with Chris at RazorPlate (he took time out of his vacation to reply to my emails), and reading the Rustboy thread, I've decided to have Chris re-plate them.
The '53 Super Speed will go to my daughter, who wants to try doing her legs with it. If she doesn't care for it, It will come back to me.
The Tech will stay with me, and will be used.
Yea, it costs more to get them refinished that they are 'worth', monetarily, but saving them and enjoying them is a worthy endeavor.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
After talking with Chris at RazorPlate (he took time out of his vacation to reply to my emails), and reading the Rustboy thread, I've decided to have Chris re-plate them.
The '53 Super Speed will go to my daughter, who wants to try doing her legs with it. If she doesn't care for it, It will come back to me.
Yea, it costs more to get them refinished that they are 'worth', monetarily, but saving them and enjoying them is a worthy endeavor.
That’s the kind of guy Chris is. Great decision!

As I was reading through the thread I was going to jump in and recommend Chris @ Razorplate, but I see you already discovered him. He does fine work and is a good guy to work with. Chris has worked on a couple razors for me and they turned out great. Can't wait to see pictures of your finished razor.

The flea mall finds are finally back! USPS held them hostage for 2 day.
Chris did an excellent job, and went over the process with me in detail, and I learned a lot about the Korean War era razors and the issues with re-plating them. I have to say, they turned out really well.
The flaws you can see in the nickel are not an issue with Chris' work. It's from the neglect, and Chris was up front about it. The nickel is smooth as glass. The only real 'flaws' that really pop out are the 'bubbles' on the base plate of the Super Speed, but the corrosion on the ferrous base plate was neutralized, and this is just what was there due to the corrosion.
To me, the price was worth it, and these razors should be good to use many decades after I'm gone.
I really wish that I could be restored to look half as good at over 80 as the Tech, or at 67 like the Super Speed. at 50, I'm in far worse shape than these razors are now.

Package.JPG.png

IMG_5050.JPG

IMG_5052.JPG

IMG_5054.JPG

IMG_5055.JPG

IMG_5059.JPG

IMG_5060.JPG

IMG_5062.JPG

IMG_5053.JPG

IMG_5056.JPG

Love how they turned out. The Tech is a favorite shaver of mine.

I will get my first shave with it here shortly. Gonna throw a Shark blade in if for Shark Week, and see if my face becomes chum or not...
After this shave, I'm going to put the original handle up, and it has no damage (seen the pics of cracked ball ends :( ) and use a repro handle. Maybe I'll start looking for a more 'custom' handle for it...

Top Bottom