What's new

2 Gillette techs, different shaves and a puzzle

Gentleman, 2 Brazilian techs recently bought, a ball end B1 and a fat handle no date.

Both post war round slots, both brass, 60g and 46g respectively.

I’ve noticed though, that the fat handle somehow seems different, not quite efficient, maybe a little more angle sensitive and harsher, not a lot, but noticeable.

When going ATG with the fat handle, it doesn’t seem to cut clean like the ball end, sometimes it even tugs a little, feeling more aggressive but at the same time less efficient. They even sound different. Ball end sounds more rigid, more muted. Fat handle even on the right angle feels like it needs pressure to cut. It’s difficult to explain the exact feeling but I hope you get the idea.

Here’s the puzzle. I’ve tried to look at both and noticed some obvious differences.

First, the fat handle top cap is slimmer than the ball end. I’ve tried to search this, but couldn’t find any info. Is this a manufacturing year thing?

Second, the bottom plate curves are more rounded on the ball end, and more angular on the fat handle.

I’ve tried to look them closely, trying to find out if there’s a gap or exposure variable, but wasn’t able to find just by looking.

Do you think the plate small different profiles can in fact change the shave so much?

What you be your guess by looking at the photos below?

How would that change the shave? Ball end more aggressive? Less aggressive? exposure? Gap?

Are there any clues that can be discussed by the pics below?

BALL END
777AD72B-0037-4D09-9A0C-99BB7E608F64.jpeg
99370B45-6ACB-4489-A944-E0F8AFFCAA52.jpeg

FAT HANDLE
6A3C01E5-FBEF-4937-B21B-EF8AC4C0A8D1.jpeg

SIDE BY SIDE

9082BD83-A17B-4B1B-872E-8DE46F03E5AC.jpeg
A071CE17-C266-4BBA-A7F5-6E4C3AE834E4.jpeg
4905D904-56AE-4A2C-9B16-938C3702E3B2.jpeg

Thank you
Alex

I would bet on the cap being the difference in shave. Try swapping them, also.
I will for sure, as well as the handle. One at a time obviously.

A little weight could also be the difference.

It’s so weird that two almost identical razors can shave and even sound different when cutting.

I’m not a razor angle measurement scientist kind of guy, so I was trying to figure if that slimmer top cap could be the reason for a noticeable difference during the shave.
I would bet on the cap being the difference in shave. Try swapping them, also.
I will for sure, as well as the handle. One at a time obviously.
Handles make a HUGE difference to the shave (with their different weights, lengths, diameters, and shapes).

For a true comparison (IMO) use the same handle on each.

Handles make a HUGE difference to the shave (with their different weights, lengths, diameters, and shapes).

For a true comparison (IMO) use the same handle on each.
They do indeed. That was my first thought, but since I noticed that profile difference I started asking myself if that could be it.

But I’ll certainly try with the same handle.

The fat handle having a larger space inside will make a difference in sound, i would think.

Looking at your pic, drawing a line from olate to head, i dont think i see much difference in exposure. Gap you would have to measure yoursef. But i dont think they are much different.

Just a guess.

The fat handle having a larger space inside will make a difference in sound, i would think.

Looking at your pic, drawing a line from olate to head, i dont think i see much difference in exposure. Gap you would have to measure yoursef. But i dont think they are much different.

Just a guess.
I can’t see gap or exposure difference as well.

But there’s just something… I’ll keep experimenting…

Swap the caps- curious to see what the difference is. (If you did already and I missed reading that part, I didn't have my coffee yet this morning lmaoo)

I haven't swapped caps through my tech collection (yet...) but I've swapped different tech caps with my Gillette NEW and the shave with the NEW changed drastically, and frankly wasn't as desirable without its stock original top cap. Fun to play around with though, and certainly concluded that top cap can make a difference.

Swap the caps- curious to see what the difference is. (If you did already and I missed reading that part, I didn't have my coffee yet this morning lmaoo)

I haven't swapped caps through my tech collection (yet...) but I've swapped different tech caps with my Gillette NEW and the shave with the NEW changed drastically, and frankly wasn't as desirable without its stock original top cap. Fun to play around with though, and certainly concluded that top cap can make a difference.
I haven’t done that but I will for sure. I’m giving my face a rest after going a little overboard on my last shave with the fat handle, trying to up its effectiveness. Huge no no. Ended up a little raw.

Agree. A top cap in my opinion can indeed change the shave.

In my case, I think that slimmer cap is somehow affecting the cutting angle, of course all of this is subtle, as everything in shaving.

I had same experience with a US made ball-end and fat handle Techs (oval slots). Needed to use a Kai blade in the fat handle version to get a decent shave because it was so mild. Bladefeel was different on them, so I think there's more to this mystery than handle weight.

The Fat handle is slightly lighter. The heavier ball-end handle smooths out the shave a bit.

The thicker cap may reduce blade exposure slightly. This would be most noticeable on the ATG pass.

Swapping parts around may help you figure this one out.

I had same experience with a US made ball-end and fat handle Techs (oval slots). Needed to use a Kai blade in the fat handle version to get a decent shave because it was so mild. Bladefeel was different on them, so I think there's more to this mystery than handle weight.
Interesting, I’ll try a KAI.

I think it’s more than the handle too. I know it affects the shave, but there’s a feeling that something else might be the cause as well.
The Fat handle is slightly lighter. The heavier ball-end handle smooths out the shave a bit.

The thicker cap may reduce blade exposure slightly. This would be most noticeable on the ATG pass.

Swapping parts around may help you figure this one out.
This! Cap and exposure. That was what I was trying to figure out.

It is indeed more noticeable on the ATG pass.

If this is the case, it would explain the fat handle being a little weird ATG, not aggressive, but less smooth, angle sensitive, and tugging more.

I have around 12-15 techs. The only one that I really notice a slight difference in performance in is my postwar contract tech

Any of them have that slimmer top cap like the one above?

Thanks!
All of mine appear to have the thick cap except for my aluminum tech from the 70s. The only reason that cap is different is there was a redesign of the cap in the early sixties (I think). I’m not 100% sure on the exact year

All of mine appear to have the thick cap except for my aluminum tech from the 70s. The only reason that cap is different is there was a redesign of the cap in the early sixties (I think). I’m not 100% sure on the exact year
The aluminum are indeed a different design.

I’ve seen some pictures of brass caps like mine, with that slimmer profile. Most of them were really old, like pre war techs.

I haven’t found a pattern yet.

Similar experience here. I have two early post war techs, one ball, one fat handled. It may be my imagination, but I have always thought I get a slightly better shave with the skinny ball handled. That razor is in near pristine condition, the other very good, but otherwise I can’t tell a difference. ( I have measured the caps and plates with calipers.) So I attribute it to handle and weight differences (I am used to the lighter skinny one), and possible imperceptible tarnish or crud buildup or plating degeneration.

Top Bottom