What's new

2 GEM Razor score

Got both of these babies for 10$ on teh bay.

full

full

full

They're both in GREAT condition. REALLY clean. too bad I don't have any SEs here or I'd have to test one (or both) out. Any recommendations on SE razor blades?

Last edited by a moderator:
Run over to a Walgreens and pick up a pack of GEM Personnas...you could get shaving quickest that way!! :biggrin:

You could also pick up a quck pack at CVS, but haven't tried them yet.

You can get Ted Pella blades (I here they are the same as the GEM blades), but you have to buy 200 blades, shipping charges are a little pricey, and you must sign for them when they arrive :mad3:

Treet has SE blades also, but I have no experience with them.

Good luck...those look like great shavers. I have a 1912 similar to your razor on the right in your pictures...it is the closest shave I have gotten from any razor yet...beats any Gillette or Merkur I've tried yet!

Nice, Probably gonna go with the personnas. Any tips on using this style versus a DE? Is the angle different?

Yes.

Overall, GEMs use a much shallower shaving angle (meaning the head of the razor is closer to being flat against your face). Some versions of the GEM Micromatic were designed so that you shave with the razor directly flat on your face...GEM juniors, 1912, etc. are used with a very shallow angle, but not completely flat on your cheek.

My suggestion is that you do good prep and the first couple of times you use the GEMs, do it when you have extra time so you can really focus on angle, and apply VERY little pressure (similar to DE shaving).

Take your time, and I think you'll love it...BBS with very little effort...just pay attention!!!

Good luck and let us know how the shaves go.

I'll pass on the best tip I got when learning how to properly employ a SE razor.

It's a straight on a stick with a guard. Shallow angle and almost no pressure are key.

These are what you are looking for at Walgreens:
proxy.php

To the best of my knowledge they are the same as "Ted Pellas": http://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/dissect.htm#anchor1606431, item number 121-3. This is two packages of 100 blades each. It is true that shipping is expensive and inconvenient (FedEx, signed-for delivery)

To the best of my knowledge these are also the same thing as the Pellas: http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/preparation/blades.aspx. See "D. Single Edge, Gem PTFE Coated", item number 71970. This is a package of 100 blades. They have a number of shipping options, bringing their per-blade price (on 100 blades) a bit closer to the Pella pricing and no hanging around to sign for them (unless you want to).

Thanks for the tips guys, got some blades today.

I also picked up a straight today and was totally distracted by it. I'm definitely gonna try out the 1912 on my next shave so reports will have to wait until then.

Top Bottom