What's new

2 days growth

Anybody else feel that a shave after 2 days of growth, or more, seems to be much more satisfying then shaving everyday? I don't know if letting my beard grow that extra day gives me a feeling of having more to mow down with my razor, but every time I let it go for 2 days my shaves end up being much more smooth and comfortable.

I'll second that Clay. Mowing through an extra day's growth with my slant or an open-comb NEW and a fresh Feather is oh-so satisfying...

V

VR6ofpain

I agree and disagree on this. I agree in that going from 2 days growth to virtually a BBS is extremely satisfying, but at the same time I hate going a day without shaving now. I used to do it all the time, sometimes going a few days, but ever since I started DE shaving I shave daily. The few times that I don't have enough time in the morning for even a quick 2-pass shave, I hate the feeling I get with all the stubble on my face. I mean the hairs have grown out long enough to start poking the skin on my neck and it is extremely uncomfortable.

This leads me to another observation. I think shaving with a DE leaves "sharper" stubble. This may be the cause of this irritation when I go a day without shaving. My neck actually gets all red from the irritation. It is horrible.

It is a good thing that I love shaving daily now, because when I miss a shave I regret it. Now I plan ahead, when I know I won't have time to shave in the morning, I do a quick 2-pass at night before bed. I'd go BBS, but 2 full shaves in one days seems to be tough on my neck.

I agree that shaving after a day's rest is both infinitely more satisfying and less irritating than shaving every day. I think the extra stubble helps to provide one additional layer against any potential razor burn. Although, I do hate to skip a day. Hmm, what a dilemma! :rolleyes:

I'm in total agreement that shaving every other day results in a closer & more comfortable shave. I find that the morning after a good, close shave, there ain't that much stubble on my face to shave. If I try, I have a much higher chance of irritation and burn. Dilemma indeed.

jim

Seems like many of you face the same problem I have with all this. A second day shave just feels soooooo good, but I sure like to shave these days. I really have to force myself to skip a day. I guess a situation like this is a win-win. If I shave every day, I enjoy it, and if I skip a day, that shave is ultra satisfying.

Anybody else feel that a shave after 2 days of growth, or more, seems to be much more satisfying then shaving everyday? I don't know if letting my beard grow that extra day gives me a feeling of having more to mow down with my razor, but every time I let it go for 2 days my shaves end up being much more smooth and comfortable.

+1

But I hardly ever do that.

==Tom

With cartridge razors I had to wait for two days growth, part of the appeal of DE has been that I can get better results daily.

I'll be an outlier here.

To me the second day shave while certainly nice in showing the more extreme contrast from unshaven to shaved is really tough in every other regard.

If (and it is oh so rare now) I skip a shave, the second day shave is done with extreme care as I find it irritating--not right away but about 2 hours later. For a skipped day shave I will use new blades and used my two razor technique (slant with Feather with the grain and HD with Merkur across/against the grain). At present for my daily shaves I use a B and B razor with Red IPs (three days of shaves then new blade). If I shave daily, it is closer, more comfortable, easier, and everything good.

I used to believe that skipping a day a week was a good thing--I now disagree.

Absolutely, I've always had this experience. Often, I enjoy a long, more drawn-out Sunday evening shave, since by that point I normally hadn't shaved since Friday morning (unless I had an important event over the weekend). That Sunday night shave feels really good for some reason. So yes, I can relate.

-Mason

+1

I think it's a delicate balance - I probably get my best shaves when skipping a day, but I also feel that if I skip more than one day in a row, things start to get a little more difficult and I'm more likely to get tugging when I do eventually shave. 36-48 hours seems to work best for me, but I still usually shave 5 days a week for work and take off one day over the weekend.

I always assumed it was because the longer stubble from the skipped day allows the hair to get softer and easier to cut. The longer hair itself might be softer and the longer hair also allows more water to penetrate and moisten the stubble. Sometimes I feel my stubble after 24 hours is just too short and isn't going to get real soft no matter how much prep I do.

Top Bottom