What's new

2 big prpropane tanks

Just got back from mooseing these two 100# tanks home.

One more step closer to a gas fired coffee roaster.

01717_2UsiDfyV7WZ_0CI0pO_600x450.jpg

Gonna put my little Behmor to shame. What roaster are you getting?

Just in the looking stage.

Proximity is going to be the deciding factor.

3 to 6 pound size.

There is a 2 kelo nearby and a 1 kelo further away.

Surprising how many commercial Roasters are out there looking for me.

Holy cow, those are some big tanks :eek2: My piddle little 2kg machine had 75 (2.1kg of greens) plus a dozen or so break in and training roasts on a 40# tank (twice the size of a normal bbq). The tank wasn't empty but I was wondering how long I could go and didn't want to run out so I had the propane guy top it off when he filled my 500 gal tank for the house. I think I had about 25-35% left.

My normal roast is a 30 min warmup (I bounce off the upper temp limit at least three times) and then I do a 13-15 minute roast. Every once in awhile I will weigh out a second set of greens and only do a 3-4 minute warmup with the second batch. I do my pre-heat at half flow.... I don't remember the units but "full on" is about 3.0 on my gauge and I warm up at 1.5-1.6. My gas flow is 0 when I first drop the beans for 30 seconds then it is full until the beans get to 300F. I then drop the flow 0.2 every 10 degrees until I get to 350F. After first crack I will drop the gas to 1.0 +/- depending on how things are going. I then drop the beans into cooling tray at the first hint of second crack.

I think I will just have the propane guy top off my 40# tank every year when he fills the big tank and unless I do a whole lot more roasting ... I wont have to worry about running out.

Good luck on the roaster search. Don't forget that you will need to have some way of dealing with the smoke/chaff. Also if you do it commercially the installation will be more involved (and inspected). We expect pictures once you haul it home.

Did the gas roaster eventuate Mick?

No...

Too many.... "oh shiny" ....moments

Sold 2 houses. One closed last week, the other closing on Nov 18th.

Glad to see both go. Booming real estate market now for some reason .

Top Bottom