What's new

2 Band Question

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I just got my first Silvertip, a custom Shavemac D01 with 944 handle. Definitely has good backbone compared to the other pure badger brushes I've used, but it still comes nowhere near a boar for backbone. I'm thinking of adding a 2 Band sometime to see how much more backbone I get.

My question is in regards to things I've read. I can't seem to find a concensus. Some say that the 2 Band is scritchy, others say that it's no scritchier and that it just feels like it might be because it has more backbone. Is it really that scritchy?

And as another quick question, how much more backbone is there? Could a 2 Band compete with a boar in backbone?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
IMO, a 2 band brush can have a bit of scritch or gel like tips depending on the maker. Backbone is a function of density, knot size and how deep it is set. But yes, 2 band can have as much backbone as a boar. My shavemac D01 2 band is really stiff, but with soft tips. Stiffer than any boar I have tried.

IMO, a 2 band brush can have a bit of scritch or gel like tips depending on the maker. Backbone is a function of density, knot size and how deep it is set. But yes, 2 band can have as much backbone as a boar. My shavemac D01 2 band is really stiff, but with soft tips. Stiffer than any boar I have tried.

+1 Personally, if you get a Shavemac D-01 2-band set at 24mm or more X 50mm or less, you won't find anything comparable in backbone!

No expert here, but I think this varies wildly by manufacturer and line. My Vintage Blades 2 band is "scritchy" with plenty of back bone and little flow through. The Thater 4125 2 band is softer than my Simpson 3 band, with good back bone and flow through is excellent.

I've tried Vintage Blades and TGN 2-band brushes. Both of them had good backbone, not as stiff as boar, but more than silvertip. The tips on both brushes felt kind of crusty and scritchy when dry but super soft when wet. The TGN was a denser knot.

If you are wanting incredible backbone I would look no further then a shavemac D01 2 band. I own several boars that do not even come close in terms of backbone. Mine measures 25.8 x 46. I love the brush but wish the loft was higher. I ordered a 24 x 48 but it came out a little off. If I had it to do over again I would have ordered a 24 x 52. Just keep in mind shavemacs are known for their knots coming out a little larger than ordered.

Dimensions matter a lot. I just ordered a Shavemac D01 in 3 band last night after reading a fair amount of suggestion that the 2 band might be scrithier than I want. I have sort of a limited selection of boars (One of which has no backbone to speak of, and another that I think is "medium") but I have a couple 2 bands that do have lots of backbone (TGN FInest, Rooney Heritage). that said, I also have a 3 band Rooney with plenty of backbone. An awful lot of that is the density as well as dimensions. My 2 bands are a little short in loft for their height (24x48 and 26x50).

Shavemac D01 2-band has the most backbone of any badger brush except Rooney Finest (in my experience). I would not recommend going with a low loft if you buy this brush. I would probably go with as high of a loft as possible for your knot size.

Seems like it's all subjective to me. "Scritchy", itchy, scratchy...whatever. You put the same wool sweater on two different folk and one'll say it's itchy and the other'll say it's lovely. You'll never really know without trying it yourself. Same holds true here IMO.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
As a quick note, I got exactly what I wanted out of my 3 Band D01. I was actually after a soft and luxurious brush that wasn't floppy and that was versatile, so I went with a bulb at 24/54. I went with 54 because 56 was the standard offering if I ordered a regular 944 and 52 is what I would want for a pure face lathering brush. I went in the middle for the sake of having a nice brush right in the middle.

Now I'm just not sure if I want to get a dedicated 2 Band face lathering brush or just stick with my Semogue 610 for that. Designing my own brush is just plain fun, too.

I purchased a D01 2-band fan at 24/50 a few weeks ago and it is now my favorite knot. Mine is not scritchy. It is dense and soft with incredible backbone. I use it to bowl lather mostly but it's also worked well for face lathering.

Top Bottom