What's new

2.5 passes vs. 3

This morning I tried an experiment to reduce the recurring irritation in my neck. I am generally a daily 3 pass shaver with what I would consider fairly coarse hair. A patch of this hair grows at a 90 degree angle on my neck, which results in irritation if I go ATG. So I skipped the ATG pass on the neck. The result? Less irritation with little visual difference in shave quality other than fewer razor bumps, and maybe some stubble if you look closely enough. Has anyone else experienced this?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Being a straight razor shaver, I don't get skin irritation from shaving. I do however normally limit my passes to two (WTG + XTG) plus touch up where needed so as not to shave too close. I found with three passes (WTG + XTG + ATG) left me with nothing to shave 24 hours later. After all, isn't the aim of shaving to get as many passes in per week as you can?

Yes. I can get close enough to BBS that only I know it isn't without shaving ATG much at all. My normal shave is 2 passes and a clean-up along the jawline. Zero irritation or discomfort before, during and after, unless I make a mistake.

I do almost the same. One pass WTG and one XTG then go over the jawline again. Works great for me.

Finding what works for you is important. No need to go ATG is you're happy with the results of 2.5 passes and doesn't leave irritation.

For me, I do 3 passes; WTG, XTG, XTG. I hardly ever go ATG, I find it provides BBS but can cause irritation. I'd rather have a good shave with no irritation, I don't need BBS; I'll be shaving again the next day :)

You see a lot of discussion about BBS and close shaves in the forums for wet shaving. When I was learning wet shaving, I focused and aimed for BBS every shave. Then one day, I was in a hurry and only had time for two passes, I realized nobody at work noticed any difference and the comfortable shave was better than irritated BBS. Of course, some shavers can get BBS all day long with no irritation - that variety of experiences is what makes wet shaving a fun journey and hobby.

I end up with something like 2.5 passes. I do a WTG, and then a pass half XTG and ATG (leaning more toward ATG). Lastly I do some clean up in areas where hair has odd growth directions, or in tight spots. This gives me a DFS, BBS even on most of my face. I shave with a straight pretty much exclusively. Irritation isn’t an issue unless I’ve chased BBS 3 days in a row. Even then only on one spot on my neck.

Being a straight razor shaver, I don't get skin irritation from shaving. I do however normally limit my passes to two (WTG + XTG) plus touch up where needed so as not to shave too close. I found with three passes (WTG + XTG + ATG) left me with nothing to shave 24 hours later. After all, isn't the aim of shaving to get as many passes in per week as you can?

Same here, primarily a straight razor user.
I too use 2½ passes, the ½ pass essentially to touch up the tight radii on the jawline.

I do consider however the WTG, XTG and ATG at this stage more of a theoretical concept.
Beard growth at my chin and just in front of my ears is straight down and below the ear area it changes to almost horizontal.

I also found that when shaving, a small amount of horizontal (across the grain, if you like) movement on all passes improves the result.
To visualize, imagine slicing a loaf of bread. The cutting direction on a loaf is downwards, but to get optimum results when slicing the bread knife also needs to move across.

It needs some practice, because, when careless, the straight razor moving across may draw some blood.

So for me it is WTG followed by ATG - both with a certain amount of XTG - plus touch-up.

B.

Whatever works is just fine!

My guess is that you are one of the best shaved lads in your workplace. :a29:

I end up with something like 2.5 passes. I do a WTG, and then a pass half XTG and ATG (leaning more toward ATG). Lastly I do some clean up in areas where hair has odd growth directions, or in tight spots. This gives me a DFS, BBS even on most of my face. I shave with a straight pretty much exclusively. Irritation isn’t an issue unless I’ve chased BBS 3 days in a row. Even then only on one spot on my neck.
+1- I normally do a 2 plus pass shave; the only irritation I get is if I go ATG too much with a DE. Usually not with a SE, AC or SR.

I hadn't really analyzed it much recently, as I've been basically shaving the same for a long time. Here's my normal pass order: Pass 1- north to south first above the jawline, then below the jawline and down my neck; Pass 2 is in three parts- (a) east to west (right to left for me) strokes across my face just above my jawline, (b) south to north on my neck and under my jawline, and (c) finally south to north on my cheeks and sideburn area above the (a) east west strokes; Pass 2 1/2 is just clean up where needed.

My beard tends to grow mostly from left to right on my face above my jawline, so my right to left strokes may be XTG some and ATG some. I do skin stretch, a habit learned from SR shaving, no matter the razor I'm using. I do a light rinse and feel between lather applications to gauge progress. I tend to do fewer longer strokes, than shorter strokes, depending upon how I am stretching at a particular point.

My shaving has adapted over time as my face, as well as the rest of me, has grown older, less taut, and sags more. My normal shaves are wonderful and satisfying. I have also had to grow more careful after my doctor suggested a daily aspirin regimen about five years ago.

One whole side of my neck would always get crazy irritated and often got nicks when I went ATG on it, so I substituted another XTG pass for that part of my neck when I went ATG on the rest of my face. I've been doing that now for almost 10 years, and I've never regretted it. Sometimes I press my luck and do a light ATG pass just under my jawline, but I never do ATG on most of that side of my neck anymore.

I do skin stretch, a habit learned from SR shaving, no matter the razor I'm using.

+1...I never did get used to straights, but I did import the skin stretching back into my DE technique, and it's massively reduced irritation and while also making my shaves smoother. I have kind of a fat face, so maybe it has to do with that, but one way or another, the difference has been massive.

XTG & ATG with cleanup. I’ve been doing that for several months.

Yes, I agree. As I wrote elsewhere, just today actually, I think the three-pass shave is a purely academic exercise (as is the concept of BBS, but I haven't formulated my complete argument on that yet.) Seems to cover all the bases in theory but effective shaving is more complicated. I do a combination of across and against the grain and do touchups by feel. The result is a very effective shave and much less irritation.

Top Bottom