What's new

2, 2 1/2, 3 in. Strop! What do you use?

2, 2 1/2, 3 in. Strop! What do you use?

2 inch had been used for a very long time. Is a 3 inch that much better?

Don't you use an X pattern anyway? so why the extra $ for the 3 inch and would the 3 in. be prone to cupping faster than the 2 in.?

3. Because its easier. No, I don't use an X. I do with a 2.5, so I don't see much point in one of those. Easier to do an X on a 2" IMHO.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have a 2" at the moment but will probably buy a 3" eventually so I won't have to do the X pattern!

Thank you for your replies. I am still debating which I will get but it appears I will gravitate toward the 3" TM, but I wish he still carried the beginner strop. If anyone has upgraded and wants to sell the TM beginner, you can PM me. Money is a bit tight as wife is going through Cancer treatment.

Thanks again
Phil

I have the 3. You can purchase Tony's strops without the linen component, which trims the cost a bit. It is really a better deal than the old beginner strop, as it can be upgraded later.

yeah I just got the regular 3" in latigo and it dropped the price a fair bit. Nothing too fancy, but you know it'll work perfectly

Thank you for your replies. I am still debating which I will get but it appears I will gravitate toward the 3" TM, but I wish he still carried the beginner strop. If anyone has upgraded and wants to sell the TM beginner, you can PM me. Money is a bit tight as wife is going through Cancer treatment.

Thanks again
Phil

Cancer treatment :eek:? Sorry to hear that! I have a well used Latigo and canvas with dees. There is one nick to watch out for when stropping and as an assortment of insignificant scratches but it is fully functional and well seasoned. PM me your address and I will lend it to you "long term."

Cancer treatment :eek:? Sorry to hear that! I have a well used Latigo and canvas with dees. There is one nick to watch out for when stropping and as an assortment of insignificant scratches but it is fully functional and well seasoned. PM me your address and I will lend it to you "long term."

That is very gentlemanly of you Henry.

I have a 2", a 2.5" and held in my hands once a 3"

I worry about cupping, which the wider strops seem to be prone to.

Even my 2" shows signs of this. The 3" I looked at had a definite cup shape to it. My 2.5" is a different leather (the others are latigo and this is a suede-like leather) and shows no hint of cupping.

So, my favorites are the 2" latigo (only minor cupping and nice draw) and the 2.5 suede (no cupping at all, but draw seems a little lacking and is somewhat uneven).

Still looking for perfection but tired of spending $60 - $70 bucks for each attempt. I'll wait until I hear of "sure thing".

About X-pattern. It feels natural to me. I'm pretty sure I would use it even on a 3" strop. With the X-pattern you don't need to line things up perfectly so I suspect it would make life easier even with a 3" strop.

Wow Fantastic! PM sent and Thank you

As far as the Cancer treatment, It is terrible, just when she starts to feel somewhat good, It is time for more and then she feels terribly ill. The doc says she will be on the regimen for at least a year. :ohmy:

This little shaving ritual if you will, takes my mind off of it for a bit and I am finding it very enjoyable.

Thanks again
Phil

Phil, I will pray for you and your wife. Stay strong, she will always need it.

Henry, you are a stand up gentleman.

To Henry:

I received the Strop yesterday. It is wonderful.
A very special " Thank You " from both myself and my wife.
She said, " You have a very kind heart and May God bless you in every way. "

Phil and Sandy

Top Bottom