What's new

2 1/2 Pass Shave

Have been trying this lately, works for me. I'll call it the 2 1/2 pass. Work up a good lather and apply. 1st pass, with the grain, a few strokes (little to no pressure) the immediately stroke ear to nose across the same area. Do this all over, everywhere. There is enough residual lather/moisture. Re lather, then the last pass against the grain, if needed immediately dampen the trouble areas a buff a little. Yes it's a 3 pass with 2 lathers, but faster than a standard 3 pass. End up with the same results and save a little time.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Have been trying this lately, works for me. I'll call it the 2 1/2 pass. Work up a good lather and apply. 1st pass, with the grain, a few strokes (little to no pressure) the immediately stroke ear to nose across the same area. Do this all over, everywhere. There is enough residual lather/moisture. Re lather, then the last pass against the grain, if needed immediately dampen the trouble areas a buff a little. Yes it's a 3 pass with 2 lathers, but faster than a standard 3 pass. End up with the same results and save a little time.
I kinda was doin' this until I decided to go for the warmer face look this winter. Not sure if I'll keep it up, but I have been amazed at how much warmer a beard makes your incredibly handsome face when you are pumping gas.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Good technique and that is basically also how I do my shaves with the 2 1/2 passes(WTG + ATG + pickups), some times I will do 3 1/2 passes if I'm trying a very mild razor(very rarely). Less passes can be easier on the skin also!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Are you the same when showing "affection" to your partner?

If my intimacy was restricted to dragging one of my partner’s feet on pasted balsa and bare leather and then touch the heel, toe, and ridge of that foot on my neck and face, well, YES!! Of course I’d try being more efficient on purpose.

I prefer 3 lathers and 3 passes plus a little blade buffing. Got to use up that soap. The extra lather time is ~20 seconds and minimal chance of irritation.

Hi Cwright, Your approach has some similarity to my typical 2+ pass shave. Two full passes with some touch up in a few areas as needed.

See the thread linked below, there isn't really a standard "one size fits all" shaving method. A large number of B&Bers customize to what works best for them. The "3 pass" DE shave is a relatively recent invention, possibly thanks to the internet. Historical shaving instructions talked about a single pass shave with a two pass option if you needed/wanted it really close. Even barber school instructions talk about the one or two pass shave noting that a third pass is almost never done. Of course YMMV and each of us needs to determine what works best per our preferences and beard characteristics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom