What's new

1st year of DE: some thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first year of DE shaving is now 'in the can'. I have learned much from all the wonderful people at B&B, and express my thanks to all who have contributed. A few reflections:

1. I'm a 'soap guy'. I tried several creams the past year, but I keep coming back to soaps. I've settled on Tabac. I even like the scent!

2. Razors. Wow, did RAD hit me hard! Tried a bunch and finally sold off the ones that did nothing for me. My favorites are my Dad's '64 SS and my father-in-law's '61 gold Slim Adjustable. If I had to pick just one for the rest of my life it would be...wait for it... a Tech! I love that little razor!

3. Blades. Went through a couple of sample packs and decided on Derbys. Enough said.

4. After shave. Been using Skin Bracer for 40 years. I see no reason to change.

5. Brush. Badger all the way. My daily brush is an HJM made in Germany, and I travel with a Tweezerman.

There you have it. Nothing fancy but it gets the job done. Even though I have been wet shaving since the early 70's (Old Spice mug and soap), I gave up my DE about the same time, falling prey to Gillette's marketing.....

It is good to be back.

Congrats on one year down. Have your **ADs tapered off at the end of a year? I sincerely hope mine do.

Some of the greybeards on this site suggest that eventually they do...but I can't see the light at the end of the blackhole moneypit tunnel that is wetshaving...LOL

Ok, gotta go shave now with my $80 dollar silvertip with my $65 dollar Penhaligon's soap, finish up with any one of 20 aftershaves and then some $100 cologne...

Nice post. Hoping for the same results in a year. So far so good for me. Once again congrats on finding your way back.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
You have had quite a productive year it seems and have established a nice set up with items that not only do the job but that you enjoy! A very well done and thoughtful post.

i'm not quite a year yet on the de/se journey but once i got my merkur 38c and rooney 3/1 and lifetime supply o derby extras i havn't felt or needed to really buy anything new i guess that the whole rad/sad/scad hasn't really affected me though someday i might try some of the more expensive soaps and creams but as for now as long as the products i have will keep performing i have no need for anything else though who knows after a few years i might aquire a new razor or something, who knows.....

Akuri...you must be "the one!" I've only found a few on here that dont have one acquisition disorder or the other...

Of course, the minute you post a thread about how wetshaving costs a ton you'll stir some members up into a frothy lather!

You have had quite a productive year it seems and have established a nice set up with items that not only do the job but that you enjoy! A very well done and thoughtful post.

Thank you kindly. Although I never stopped using a brush and soap, I wish I had never stopped using a DE back in the 70's. Now that I'm back, I feel like I wasted 30+ years trying to find the shave I gave up!!!:mad2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom