What's new

1st use of a Feather Blade .....

Tried my first Feather today, and tho it provided a nice smooth shave , it was really no better than my favorite(s) Bolzano, Suplex or Personna Meds.
Used it in my Muhle R89 ..... doubt I will be replacing any of the others in my rotation.

Perfect example of YMMV.

Feathers are very nice, but not for everyone. At least now you know, and you have your own better blades. :wink2: :w00t:

Tried my first Feather today, and tho it provided a nice smooth shave , it was really no better than my favorite(s) Bolzano, Suplex or Personna Meds.
Used it in my Muhle R89 ..... doubt I will be replacing any of the others in my rotation.

Let us know how your second, third, or fourth shave goes. I can get 4 shaves with the Bolzano and up to seven with the meds - but only two with the Feathers.

I generally get 3 good shaves with a Feather. 4th try still works, but only if I want somewhere between a SAS and a CCS. It's still my favorite blade so far, and I can get the closest thing to a perfect BBS shave with a fresh one.

Amazing difference in sharpness on the 2nd shave, though.

I used the Feather for first time yesterday with a two day growth and it was very smooth in my DE89L. this morning I used the Feather and ended up with 5 weepers and a burn that is still hanging on. I ditched the blade into the bank and will try something else tomorrow. I really wanted this blade to work for me but it did not!
Frank

I used the Feather for first time yesterday with a two day growth and it was very smooth in my DE89L. this morning I used the Feather and ended up with 5 weepers and a burn that is still hanging on. I ditched the blade into the bank and will try something else tomorrow. I really wanted this blade to work for me but it did not!
Frank

Did you use the same prep and soap as yesterday? Only thing different was the blade from yesterday to today? I get 4-5 + good day's shaving out of a feather.

I got my Merkur progress yesterday and I really wanted to try it (I mean I REALLY wanted to try it)... BUT... since I was evaluating a new soap (had used the soap the previous day and was very disappointed) I decided to keep everything else the same as the previous day to make sure I really didn't like the soap. Turns out I DO like the soap and it was the brush that caused the problem. The brush I first used was too soft and would not load enough of the hard soap to make a good lather. I gave up on it after 2 strokes with the razor and uberlathered what I had so that I could continue my shave.. Now that is bad when you can only take 2 strokes with the razor and then have to bugger up the soap lather to be able to continue shaving...

I used the same from yesterday with the blade going for second shave this morning. I did add a few more drops of the glycerin to play with it, but that should not have mattered. If anything, the glycerin should have helped I think!

Yes the additional glycerine should have added more "cush/slide".. I've read other members say they had good luck using feathers in the Jagger you have. It just goes to show you that every combination blade/razor/beard can be different for different people.

Sorry to hear about the bad shave... If they have some Voskhod teflon at the blade bank you might try one of those. I find that blade to be the smoothest of the group that I have come to like.

I am afraid of trying any more new blades now. My face is being pealed away trying the Gillette 7 O'Clock yellow's green's, Wilky's, Schick and whatever else I have been trying so far. I have been sticking it out, but I think I need to give up. The only one I have not tried in my group is the Mekur that I got in the trade. I will try it and see. I cannot shave for a couple days though.

Are you doing a single pass shave, or a three pass shave?

A three pass shave, WTG, XTG and ATG (carefully), plus some touch-ups. In the sixth shave the Feather seems to be less "sharp" (OBVIOUSLY!!) but even so, more than a decent shave!! From time to time I get some nick, but it's definitely my fault! One should have a quantum of respect with ANY blade.

FYI now I'm using Cella (love it!) but have also used EJ Seabuckthorn soap. Brush, EJ Silvertip, EJ Super. Kind of EJ guy, I know.

I am afraid of trying any more new blades now. My face is being pealed away trying the Gillette 7 O'Clock yellow's green's, Wilky's, Schick and whatever else I have been trying so far. I have been sticking it out, but I think I need to give up. The only one I have not tried in my group is the Mekur that I got in the trade. I will try it and see. I cannot shave for a couple days though.

​No problem

Let us know how your second, third, or fourth shave goes. I can get 4 shaves with the Bolzano and up to seven with the meds - but only two with the Feathers.

I usually only try for three with any blade, and most are two passes and touch-ups.

Did you use the same prep and soap as yesterday? Only thing different was the blade from yesterday to today? I get 4-5 + good day's shaving out of a feather.

I got my Merkur progress yesterday and I really wanted to try it

Which razor are you using the Feathers in?

I use them in a Vision 2000 and Futur. These 2 razors are about all I use anymore (though I did get a progress in the mail yesterday). I do have to tweak the blade exposure as the blade gets older, if I want to stretch them... If they are loaded, I am in mid shave, and I can't remember how many days they have gone I can usually finish my shave by raising the exposure setting, then dump the blade once I am finished. I hate replacing blades mid shave (wet hands, lather and water starts to get cold, etc)

Which razor are you using the Feathers in?

Feathers work well for me when used with a less-aggressive razor such as an EJ DE89 or Gillette Super Speed. I get about four three-pass shaves out of them...I could probably stretch them for another shave or two, but why bother?

I only went two shaves with my DE89L before ditching the Feather blade. My face is now feeling better, and I can tell I got a very close shave. I just do not care for the razor burn from the Feather. Feathers are good blades, just not for me I guess.

I tried my first ever feather today in my 34G! I have only been using Derby extras so far, and the feather felt a lot sharper. I was really careful with the shave so I didn't nick myself once, but it did take some time. The first thing I noticed was that I couldn't feel the blade on my face as much as with the Derby. It also seemed like I could keep a slightly sharper angle and still make the blade bite. I must say I like it so far, but I can't really decide before I get comfortable with it and can start doing some quick passes or try to achieve BBS.

Top Bottom