What's new

1st time re-knotting a brush w/22mm SHD bulb

I picked up the Maggard Bronze handle synthetic last year because I loved the look of the handle.
B49A367B-CC65-4AAE-AF06-A5E191589070.jpeg
The handle is/was great, but I was not a huge fan of the knot. So I figured I’d try re-knotting the handle. I started by cutting the bristles as low as I could.
BBE317F4-AA5C-4EA5-BA08-99DC29522AC8.jpeg84BD5DB4-1EC6-4CBD-AC87-C8676299271F.jpeg I made a heck of a mess in the process. Scissors and pliers to get the bristles out as best I could. From there I attempted to use a cheap dremel tool to get the epoxy out and I fried the tiny motor in the old dremel tool. Ended up putting the handle in a vise, carefully wrapped in a can coozie, (gotta use what you got on hand when you’re in a sabbatical!) I was able to drill out the epoxy with some help from my Father in Law. And ended up here:DCA15EB0-E8DA-4A6F-8E3E-36879C601EC8.jpegB3232B2A-4A50-4091-820E-AFD06F3845D1.jpeg13.5-14mm deep hole, no Forster bit or drill press so we did the best we could. From here I used silicone to set the new knot in place, which I of course did not let set long enough the first time so I had to re-silicone it and leave it be for a couple days. Not the most technical brush re-knot but I’m happy with how it turned out! Before first lather:
CF16000C-BEF7-4964-BA7A-258AB9700EAD.jpeg

Bloom after first lather:
D157F249-0B3D-446C-AAAF-196C4B42B842.jpeg

And after second use:
1B6F1F09-C0D9-4277-9E68-74CFC07E453A.jpeg

The Maggard SHD knot is fantastic! Such a huge wall of luxuriously soft badger hair to lather up with! And if I ever decide I need more backbone I should be able to take the knot out and drill a deeper hole. If I ever want to re-knot a brush handle I will more than likely be going with the Maggard SHD knot again! Have a great day y’all!

Nice Job... Is it real bronze though? If so, This would have been a prime candidate for steaming the knot out though to make things easier. Heck, I'd have just let the thing sit at a rolling boil for a half hour and then poured what was left of the knot out. You're not gonna hurt bronze.

Very nice. You did an excellent job replacing the knot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thanks so much! It’s my first real badger knot, I’m very happy with it!
Nice Job... Is it real bronze though? If so, This would have been a prime candidate for steaming the knot out though to make things easier. Heck, I'd have just let the thing sit at a rolling boil for a half hour and then poured what was left of the knot out. You're not gonna hurt bronze.
Unfortunately it is not real bronze but a bronze colored resin. That would be awesome if I could find a legit bronze handle though!

Nice. One thing that would be good would be a photo with another object beside it to give an idea of the brushes relative size. It looks large for a 22mm.
Great idea! Left to right Omega Pro 49 26mm boar, Maggard 22mm SHD bulb, Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm tuxedo.
D3D9C13E-03BE-42C0-836D-3161B2705D3C.jpeg
AC792B20-8C95-4E1E-82B5-A94F14282ED2.jpeg
8FD6B296-6343-4A7D-BE00-FDCC50779F5B.jpeg
It’s a big 22mm knot for sure! The base of the knot is definitely smaller than the bloomed opening, unfortunately I forgot to measure the base before I set the knot. The diameter at the opening of the handle is 24mm+- for human error.
FD91BDCB-A442-412D-A7B2-2A310E4FE5C0.jpeg

Great job on the knot swap. I love my Maggard SHD. Don't remember off hand if it's a 26 or 28mm.
Thank you kindly! These knots are impressive! Well worth the money imho! That must be a monster of a knot at either size, but especially if its the 28mm! 🤩
Looks really nice. Are you ready to try another one?
Thank you! And, absolutely! Already decided that if I get bored of the plissoft knot in my RR 400 matte black that I’ll be putting a SHD knot into it. I’ve also been looking at empty handles to put a knot in as well. Only 11 more months till the sabbatical is over and I can work on another one!😬👍😁

Thank you kindly! These knots are impressive! Well worth the money imho! That must be a monster of a knot at either size, but especially if its the 28mm! 🤩

Thank you! And, absolutely! Already decided that if I get bored of the plissoft knot in my RR 400 matte black that I’ll be putting a SHD knot into it. I’ve also been looking at empty handles to put a knot in as well. Only 11 more months till the sabbatical is over and I can work on another one!😬👍😁

I found the box the knot came in to confirm 28mm. I set it fairly low to keep it extra dense. I love that brush but if I do another I will probably set the knot a little higher to get more splay. If you want to see the brush I'm referring to I can post it but I didn't want to hijack your post.

I found the box the knot came in to confirm 28mm. I set it fairly low to keep it extra dense. I love that brush but if I do another I will probably set the knot a little higher to get more splay. If you want to see the brush I'm referring to I can post it but I didn't want to hijack your post.
Wow that’s got to be awesome! And please do share, I’d love to see it! Not worries about that at all. More the merrier! If you by chance are able to do a side by side with another brush as well that would be great for comparison sake.

Wow that’s got to be awesome! And please do share, I’d love to see it! Not worries about that at all. More the merrier! If you by chance are able to do a side by side with another brush as well that would be great for comparison sake.

Here is a picture right after I made it.

20191222_090723_HDR~2.jpg

And a recent shave post picture to see how it's bloomed a little. When I get home I'll get some shots with another brush or two.

20210118_064903~2.jpg

Wow! 🤩 That’s amazing! That’s got to be fun to use! Looks like it must be a wall of badger and a lather monster! That handle is fantastic looking too! Thank you for sharing!

Wow! 🤩 That’s amazing! That’s got to be fun to use! Looks like it must be a wall of badger and a lather monster! That handle is fantastic looking too! Thank you for sharing!

Thank you, yes indeed it is and thank you.
I made the handle blank out of black Linen and aluminum shavings in resin then turned and finished it. The resin made the black Linen turn to a very dark blue. Happy accidents.

Thank you, yes indeed it is and thank you.
I made the handle blank out of black Linen and aluminum shavings in resin then turned and finished it. The resin made the black Linen turn to a very dark blue. Happy accidents.
Too cool!

Here is the 28mm SHD next to a RazoRock Bruce and an @Graydog brush with a 26mm Maggard 2 band for comparison. When I get a little more time I can measure the loft and bloom of the to badgers.

20210125_064029.jpg

Edit: sorry about the plaid on an angle behind the brushes. It throws of perspective a little.

Top Bottom