What's new

1st time Oily skin in Life

I've been DE shaving about a month using, EJ DE89L, VDH soaps, Badger or Boar brush, Clubman AS.

Everything was going great until the last week when all of sudden skin seems oily all over I'm 57 and to have a Pimple and oily skin.
Ideas?

I had a similar experience. In particular, it was related to my impatience. I began doing three pass shaves trying for BBS from the get go. My skin suffered, and so did I. I cut back to 1 pass, and the problem disappeared. After a couple weeks, I added the second pass, then two weeks later the third. Now, for my daily shaves, I usually do only two passes (WTG & ATG + touch ups). I save long, luxurious three pass shaves for weekends or special occassions when I can take the time and focus on technique and pressure, and my skin is a lot healthier for it.

On the other hand, it might be one of the products you're using, although you don't mention a pre-shave. I use the Clubman too, but I add a tiny drop of glycerin and a big drop of aloe in my palm, then mix it with the Clubman and a little water, then apply to my face. The Clubman might have too much alcohol (when used alone) for your skin. The skin responds by making more oil to keep the skin moist and supple. Try doing the mix thing with at least the aloe and water added to the Clubman before you apply it. YMMV!

Last edited:
I too think that you are using something that is stripping you skin of oils, and your body is trying to compensate for that.
Try an AS balm that doesn't have a lot of alcohol, or maybe a light face moisturizing cream.

I thought alcohol based AS removes the excess oils?..I have oily skin via genetics..I find balms are more oily than my AS with alcohol..plus I use a straight ;-)

Tru dat! It does remove the oils... temporarily. Then the body responds by manufacturing more to compensate, especially when you start using a new or different product.

BTW, I use the Nivea balm for sensitive skin, and it has always been good to me. Nivea also makes a variety of other balms and "man" lotions with fragrances and special additives for health skin. I use some of them too, but the sensitive version is my all time favorite. I put on the balm after shaving, I clean the brush and razor, THEN I put on my Clubman or another AS. Used on top of the balm, there is almost no "burn" feeling from the alcohol, but like I said, I do mix any AS I use with moisturizing aloe and glycerin.

Last edited:
Tru dat! It does remove the oils... temporarily. Then the body responds by manufacturing more to compensate, especially when you start using a new or different product.

I agree. It also goes the other way as well, I was recommended by an AOS representative (also claimed to be a esthetician) that their balm, not their gel was right for my skin type. Upon applying I thought it was a bit thick and greasy for me. Sure enough I was gifted with my first pimple in years. Personally, I have to look for a good aftershave that is not drying or too heavy thick. Luckily someone who likes this balm got a 2x used bottle PIFed.

Top Bottom