What's new

1st time equipment buys for Newbie

I have been really happy with the Razorock stuff, and I dont think you need much to get started.

Preshave, if any? - None
Razor? - Razorock SLOC - $17 - Comes with 5 Derby blades also.
Blade? - A few tucks, no 100 blade purchases to start. One of the Astra blades would be a good first blade.
Brush? - Razorock synthetic - I like the barber handle - $13
Bowls? A necessity or not? - Nope, face lather to start.
Aftershave? Balms, lotions, splashes? - None. If someone is already using this stuff, they can continue to use it after getting in to DE. If they want to add this stuff at a later time, then its an easy add on.

I would add a respectable soap to the above, plenty to choose from for $5 to $10.

So, my list is Razor, blades, brush, soap. If they want to do any pre or post steps, thats easy enough to add on as they learn and get more in to it.

This kit needs to be:
  • New stuff
  • Decent quality
  • Works well
  • Easy to buy
  • Inexpensive
Solution: order from Amazon, free shipping, total cost $38.
starter.png

Expandable thumbnail view:

starter.png

I got a kit with all needed from amazon, they used to sell kits that had Merkurs, brush, soap, bowl and some blades. They were very well priced (like $5-10 more than just the razor (obviously the brush soap and bowl were cheap, but usable for a newbie).
Now that I know more, I think people can build their kits based on some of the previous posts, or buy them from Maggards or Italian Barber....both great sellers.... and there are other great sellers.... I actually bought from many, many sellers and ALL have been great experiences (USA, UK and Germany).

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Cheapest and most accessible where I live.

Van der Hagen TTO $17
Barbasol Can + Cremo of your choice as a pre-shave $10

Both available at my local supermarket/wallyworld. No need for a brush. Adding the Cremo makes it a tad more luxurious and, well, it works. Biggest problem are the blades that come with the VDH razor. They are crap. I will stand by a sampler pack from eBay, but that will take a minute. The only DE blades I have found readily available to purchase locally are Wilkinson Swords at Bed Bath and Beyond.

After they are hooked send them on a Marshall's/Burlington/TJ Maxx run.

Check mate.

I began a little over a year ago, and I think I would recommend doing what I did...

Before buying anything more than what I already used, I read B&B on specific hardware and software, and also other sources. Sharpologist, YouTube shaving videos, and so forth. That gave me enough info to know that there were mild and not mild razors, and that I would probably be better off beginning with a mild one. I also figure out you could get some vintage hardware for much less than modern high-end stuff, and it would shave as well (sometimes better). I also realized some B&B members would make such things available on BST, which is where I bought a lot of my first gear. Learning and getting involved that way also helped bring me into the B&B community and introduced me to the fun of the "hunt." The former has helped me become a better shaver and the latter has made me an equal partner to my wife in using counter space in our bathroom :eek2:.

Learning to shave was only part of the equation for me...I'm not sure it would have lasted long enough for me to become a competent and committed wet shaver without the community and the hobby aspects.

I really think that what would be recommended would correspond with your budget. If you go dirt cheap the rudiments would be there but there would be gains in comfort and quality based on what you could reasonable afford. Lots of vendors do kits ranging from 15 bucks on up. If I could go back and do it all over again I would probably do something like:

Vintage Gillette Super Speed
Russian blade sampler
Omega boar brush
Haslinger schafmilch soap
Vintage store bowl
Osma alum block
some sort of aftershave (haven't fallen in love with anything yet)

That said my experience is very limited.

Preshave, if any? None $0
Razor? Vintage Gillette Tech or SuperSpeed $15
Blade? Persona blue $13 for 100
Brush? Wee Scot - a fantastic, but small, badger brush for the price. $27
Bowls? A necessity or not? Face lather. THBS, a Wal-Mart salsa bowl is under $2
Aftershave? Balms, lotions, splashes? Pick your poison. I like Ogallala Bay Rum. Make sure it is an alcohol base as this disinfects. $varies

Last edited:
I'd wholeheartedly recommend what I started with a few months ago:

Edwin Jagger DE89
Derby Extra blades (I used one this morning in my Muhle Rocca R96 and got a surprisingly good shave)
Proraso Green pre-shave (I used it this morning)
Proraso Green shaving cream (I used it this morning)
Clubman Pinaud aftershave (I used it this morning)

I really think most of the standard/basic products are extremely tough to beat.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Just my opinion:

Razor: FaTip Piccolo SE (start with the Gentile SB plate and grow into the OC plate) for $30 or RR SLOC for $20
Blades: Personna Israeli Platinum Red
Brush: OMEGA 011842 Premium Pure Bristle $28
Soap: Tabac

A set to learn on and grow with for a very long time.

YMMV :)

I would recommend gear accepted by the majority. i.e Merkur 34c or DE89.

Soaps like Proraso or -why not- D.R Harris or Mitchell's... which I guess are not privilege of the experienced people.

Blades... a sample of many at first. Many, such as Astra or Feather or Kai or Wilkinson...all of them, to find his own.

An Omega 48 is excellent and cheap brush.

...and in the end Alum. Any alum.

I’d go with a vintage razor first - something relatively cheap but good quality - just to make sure you don’t spend too much on something that will just get thrown aside.

-Gillette SuperSpeed - this is also mild enough that it won’t scare them away because of nicks. My big mistake during an aborted attempt at WS years and years ago was starting with a Merkur Progress and getting turned off because of the cuts. I hadn’t figured out that razor’s m.o. yet and didn’t stick around long enouth to find out.
-Amazon sample blade kit.
-Inexpensive badger or synth brush. I like boars, but not sure it would make a great first impression for someone just starting out.
-Prorasso green shave cream
-Nivea balm
-Aftershave samples from Maggards. A nice cheap way to explore some scents.

Wow. I've been absent from B&B for a while due to being busy at work, (Shhhhh, I am at work now, don't tell the boss), so I am ecstatically overwhelmed by the response. I thank y'all so much. The little bit of time I have had to check into the suggestions given, has been a fantastic information gathering experience for myself as much as anything. I love the Walmart Salsa Bowl suggestion, so cool. Sincere thanks to everybody and keep on posting because ya have an opinion, go ahead and give it.

Sincerely,
Mr. McBuzzBang

-Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face- Mike Tyson

If it was for a pretty good friend, I would probably loan a mild and medium razor (Merkur 34 and/or an adjustable), gift a Proraso soap/cream, basic Omega boar brush, and a blade sampler, suggest they get a balm, and be willing to provide information/support.

Here’s what bot for my 85yo father, an ex-electric shaver. Total $68. He’s actually having a blast and calls me every week to tell me what he’s learned and how much he is enjoying the shaves. He’s 85! I’ve since bought him a feather popular, Razorock Tech II, B&M spice soap, Cella soap, and some aftershave. (He thinks his new Yaqi tuxedo brush is to pretty to use...)

*Perfecto Stainless Steel Shaving Bowl
*Rockwell Razors R1 Double Edge Safety Razor in White Chrome
*Miusco Badger Hair Wet Shaving Brush and Shaving Stand Set, Chrome
*Astra-Derby-Shark-Voskhod-Treet 50 Quality Double Edge Razor Blades Sampler

*Lather & Wood Shaving Soap - Barbershop

Here is what I bought my brother for his upcoming 40th birthday if you need ideas:
  • Vintage Gillette Ball-End Tech - gold
  • Gold stand from Amazon
  • Proraso Red Cream Tube
  • Sample Pack of blades off of Amazon
  • Razorock synth brush - 24mm
  • Pinaud Clubman Aftershave
  • Alum block
I usually don't buy him anything so I spent more than I normally would have. It will be interesting to see if this takes or not. Everything looks pretty fancy.

Pre-shave: warm water and an exfoliant if you'd like.

Razor: Merkur 34c or Gillette tech on EBay

Blades: Astra SP on amazon

Brush: Yaqi synthetic or Omega boar

Bowl: if desired, a salsa bowl from Walmart will suffice.

Soap: Stirling. They have samples and scents for everyone

Aftershave: witch hazel with tea tree added and you can get a matching aftershave splash/balm from Stirling.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
So I had an interruption and my entire post did not go up. Here it is in it's entirety below.

The other day I met my wife and her coworkers for afterwork brewski's and I was asked about what fragrance I was wearing. I was only wearing Mr. Fine's Platinum Aftershave and I said so. This lead to a conversation that started by my wife saying, "he does all that old-fashioned shaving stuff". Eventually the conversation ended up with several guys asking me for advice on how to start the old-timey shaving, what to buy, where to buy, etc. I suggested razors, razor blades, brushes, soaps, vendors, and obviously Badger & Blade. But it got me to thinking, which is usually a dangerous thing, but nonetheless I did start thinking about what this Badger & Blade knowledge base and intellectual resource would say in my spot. Specifically, start up equipment necessities. I say this because I myself am relatively new (2 Yrs.) to the wet shaving thing and hardly feel an authority on the subject and that's why I am here at Badger & Blade in the first place, to pick up info from you.

I know that many vendors offer nice startup sets, however they usually are pushing their own stuff. So I come to you, my fellow peeps, if you had to advise somebody on what to buy for a basic beginning setup, what would it be? Also, I want to mention I am asking we only stick to the necessities and not the procedure. Below are some basics I thought of, but I am obviously open to suggestions. Please be mindful of the price, buying an initial setup can be a bit of an investment if you are not sleeping on piles of money. Therefore I don't need suggestions about soaps made from Unicorn tears or liquids blessed by monks in the Himalayas. Just stick to solid and cheap advice. For those of us who have children, maybe think of it this way. What would be in their first time shaving gift basket?

Preshave, if any?
Razor?
Blade?
Brush?
Bowls? A necessity or not?
Aftershave? Balms, lotions, splashes?

Sincerely,
MrBuzzBang

-Always run flat out, never lift-
Bandaids

Top Bottom