What's new

1st Time Buying Expensive Soaps: Buy Refills Only or with Jar

...For many years, I lathered a puck of Williams in a re-purposed plastic top to a can of Noxzema foam!
(It fit perfectly!)...
Regret I cannot find the photo of your plastic Noxzema lid amongst your many illustrious photogenic contributions to this site.
Please re-post!

The Occitane is probably the only one I bought because of the bowl (did not like the soap there is now frankensoap covid 2021 in it)
And I have bought those small 40ml containers to share with a buddy in a standardized format for stacking.
The big ones I empty are repurposed too

I tend to frankensoap leftovers and or give them away.

Attachments

• 086F5E25-0A5A-4F13-B6EF-E1A08A88011F.jpeg
    086F5E25-0A5A-4F13-B6EF-E1A08A88011F.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 10
  • 9B1455BA-42CD-4596-BA9B-EE3BEF9D365E.jpeg
    9B1455BA-42CD-4596-BA9B-EE3BEF9D365E.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
I mean in my opinion, unless you love the soap or the container it is a waste of money. Muhle shave soap is $10 on its own but $50 with the ceramic bowl. Most soap refills are at most half the price of the soap+container combo. I don't plan on buying replacements of anything since there is too much to try, so I'll pretty much always buy refill or packageless soap.

Regret I cannot find the photo of your plastic Noxzema lid amongst your many illustrious photogenic contributions to this site.
Please re-post!

thx for nice words, but that was long before i started on my shave photo kick!
most shave foam cans are 2 1/2 in dia and the williams puck is 2 3/8" dia.
perfect match!

I mean in my opinion, unless you love the soap or the container it is a waste of money. Muhle shave soap is $10 on its own but $50 with the ceramic bowl. Most soap refills are at most half the price of the soap+container combo. I don't plan on buying replacements of anything since there is too much to try, so I'll pretty much always buy refill or packageless soap.
The irony is, the one shaving soap maker I have found that does it right is plain ol' humble VDH. Not only does the puck come in a minimalist clear plastic container with a flip up lid that you can leave it in (that doesn't work so great imo but is good enough in a pinch or for travel), but the size and shape is a perfect fit for the standard inexpensive ceramic apothecary mug sold by VDH and other brands. You just drop it in. The high end soaps with elegant looking but impractical containers could learn from them.

The irony is, the one shaving soap maker I have found that does it right is plain ol' humble VDH. Not only does the puck come in a minimalist clear plastic container with a flip up lid that you can leave it in (that doesn't work so great imo but is good enough in a pinch or for travel), but the size and shape is a perfect fit for the standard inexpensive ceramic apothecary mug sold by VDH and other brands. You just drop it in. The high end soaps with elegant looking but impractical containers could learn from them.
The Occitane is probably the only one I bought because of the bowl (did not like the soap there is now frankensoap covid 2021 in it)
And I have bought those small 40ml containers to share with a buddy in a standardized format for stacking.
The big ones I empty are repurposed too
Vergulde Hand has been selling it’s soap in thin round cheap butter containers as long as I know. Lol and overhere (holland) it is cheap soap at 2 euro a 75g. Shaves more than decent also.

Vergulde Hand has been selling it’s soap in thin round cheap butter containers as long as I know. Lol and overhere (holland) it is cheap soap at 2 euro a 75g. Shaves more than decent also.
Hard to find in the US and heavy shipping charge to order from Holland, though.

I mean in my opinion, unless you love the soap or the container it is a waste of money. Muhle shave soap is $10 on its own but $50 with the ceramic bowl.

And here just yesterday I was thinking to myself how much I like that lovely little Muhle ceramic jar and lid! I spent a lot less than $50 on it, but still a lot more than necessary if I was mostly after the soap. IF it doesn't fall and shatter, I hope to use this container for the couple of decades I've got left (fingers crossed), maybe holding some of the other small format soaps I've yet to try once the Muhle puck is used up. At which point I think I'll more than get my money's worth. Nice hardware really does enhance my shaving experience.

I believe it may only be available in Holland. I couldn't even find it in Germany a few years ago.
The plastic tubs do a good job of protecting the soap, and its scent, which I've read from European shaving sites is quite nice.
Vergulde Hand.jpg

However, its performance gets mixed reviews at best.
"weil sie zu schnell trocknet und zusammenfällt" = the lather dries too quickly and collapses...is a common complaint.
Many also state a preference for Palmolive cream to Vergulde's, which is its most direct competition there.

Still, its local value cannot be denied, at under 3 Euros. If I was in Holland, I'd pick some up just to try it, but it doesn't warrant the cost of international shipping for me.

It's glycerin-based with a "classic" soap scent, hypoallergenic, safe for sensitive skin, and cheap, in Holland at least.
Its ingredients are: POTASSIUM PALMATE, SODIUM PALMATE, POTASSIUM STEARATE, POTASSIUM PALM KERNELATE, SODIUM STEARATE, SODIUM PALM KERNELATE, GLYCERIN, AQUA, KAOLIEN, PALM KERNEL ACID, PARFUM, BHT, PENTASODIUM PENTETATE, TETRASODIUM ETIDRONATE, BENZYL SALICYLATE, LINANOOL , LIMONENE, HEXYL CINNAMAL, COUMARIN, CI 77891

The maker's web-site lists soap, cream, stick, aerosol gel and foam, as well as after-shave lotion and balm, alum block, even a shaving brush. The soap is also available in an "Extra Fresh" variant with eucalyptus oil for sensitive skin.

By the way, it is one of the world's oldest soap-makers, founded in 1554.
The plastic tub's been around for donkey's ears, but one needn't be at death's door to remember the previous packaging, which was still being used just into the 1970's I believe.
Vergulde bx.jpg

the stick... from DE VERGULDE HAND shaving soap stick 75g - YourShaving - https://www.yourshaving.com/en/shaving-soaps/1272-de-vergulde-hand-shaving-soap-stick-75g.html

DE VERGULDE HAND shaving soap stick 75g
5,79 € Tax incl.
5,79 € Tax excl.

with

• Shipping costs for Europe by Correos (Spain mail services) tracked and signed for
  • up to 100g: 4,20 euros
  • up to 500g: 6,20 euros
  • up to 1 kg: 8,50 euros
  • up to 2 kg: 13,50 euros
Shipping free to France in orders from 95 euros VAT included
Deliveries to the USA are sent via Correos with tracking number which are charged by weight & costs will be displayed at checkout. Delivery within 5-7 working days
Shipping cost to USA
  • up to 100g: 6,50 euros
  • up to 500g: 7,5 euros
  • up to 1 kg: 13,00 euros
  • up to 2 kg: 22,00 euros
Shipping cost to Canada
  • up to 100g: 6,55 euros
  • up to 500g: 10,00 euros
  • up to 1 kg: 13,00 euros
  • up to 2 kg: 21,00 euros

I believe it may only be available in Holland. I couldn't even find it in Germany a few years ago.
The plastic tubs do a good job of protecting the soap, and its scent, which I've read from European shaving sites is quite nice.
View attachment 1228779

However, its performance gets mixed reviews at best.
"weil sie zu schnell trocknet und zusammenfällt" = the lather dries too quickly and collapses...is a common complaint.
Many also state a preference for Palmolive cream to Vergulde's, which is its most direct competition there.

Still, its local value cannot be denied, at under 3 Euros. If I was in Holland, I'd pick some up just to try it, but it doesn't warrant the cost of international shipping for me.

It's glycerin-based with a "classic" soap scent, hypoallergenic, safe for sensitive skin, and cheap, in Holland at least.
Its ingredients are: POTASSIUM PALMATE, SODIUM PALMATE, POTASSIUM STEARATE, POTASSIUM PALM KERNELATE, SODIUM STEARATE, SODIUM PALM KERNELATE, GLYCERIN, AQUA, KAOLIEN, PALM KERNEL ACID, PARFUM, BHT, PENTASODIUM PENTETATE, TETRASODIUM ETIDRONATE, BENZYL SALICYLATE, LINANOOL , LIMONENE, HEXYL CINNAMAL, COUMARIN, CI 77891

The maker's web-site lists soap, cream, stick, aerosol gel and foam, as well as after-shave lotion and balm, alum block, even a shaving brush. The soap is also available in an "Extra Fresh" variant with eucalyptus oil for sensitive skin.

By the way, it is one of the world's oldest soap-makers, founded in 1554.
The plastic tub's been around for donkey's ears, but one needn't be at death's door to remember the previous packaging, which was still being used just into the 1970's I believe.
View attachment 1228782
I would take the newer extra fresh not the old one which is not my thing either (and I am dutch lol)
If you want superb Dutch soap and willing to spend try scheermonnik. Only issue no as or asb yet but it is in the making! Highly recommended!!

...If you want superb Dutch soap and willing to spend try scheermonnik...Highly recommended!!
Scheermonnik (Shaving Monk) is an artisan maker, based in Delft, Holland.
Certain of their soaps (tinned croaps) are presently on sale at Griffith Shaving Good's on-line shop (Rhode Island) for USD$15 (75g tin), reduced from $21, plus $2.99 shipping per order.
Varieties: Delfts Wit, Delftse Donderslag, Puur (unscented), and Soek.

We are truly spoilt for choice in these times!
Perhaps Ivo4u2 can recommend a variety.

ps. I've no connection with Griffith's.

Right! After all, those paperclips aren't going to put themselves away!:001_smile
That's totally the truth! I know that it isn't the same thing as a nice jar or container however for example I keep my empty Proraso soap containers and then if I decide to buy a puck of a different soap then I have a container for it.

The MWF and Tabac jars are really cool. You need to decide if they are worth $20 or so to you.

Personally, I would take a hit for the jar once and buy refills moving forward.
These are the only 2 jars I own. I have grated other soaps in them, so they don’t sit idle too long.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Found some straight sided coffee cups at the dollar store that accommodate Stirling pucks exactly. I think they were a dollar each, so I bought a dozen. Still searching for the perfect lids for them, though. I just peel off the labels from the Stirling wrappers, stick 'em on the cups and I'm good to go.

The only downside is real estate. The cups take up a fair amount of room, and I can't stack 'em. Hmmm. Maybe I'll just hang them by cup hooks. (Just thought of that.) Indeed, that's what I'll do!

Top Bottom