What's new

1st Time Buying Expensive Soaps: Buy Refills Only or with Jar

Hi Everyone, looking to step up to some better soaps but not break the bank. I noticed you can buy, say MWF, in the ceramic bowl for $35 or a refill for $13. What are your thoughts on just buying the refills (Tabac, SV, MWF, etc) to save some money? Suggestions on why this isn't the way to go?? Thanks.

I would say save the money on the container and put it toward another puck. You can get empty containers from Maggard Razors for as little as $1.50 each. Just my 2 cents...
I did not know Maggards sold containers. Was thinking just using a zip lock but this is a better option. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: bjm
I have some jars and wooden bowls. I intend to purchase refill pucks in the future. That is until I have so many loose pucks that I need jars to hold them. And I fear that I may get to that point.

I wasn’t sure if I’d like MWF enough to justify the cost of getting it with the ceramic jar, so I opted for just the puck. Turns out I love it and now I regret not having its proper receptacle. And it will probably take me years before I finish it, since I have so many other favorite soaps.

On the other hand, I’m glad I went cheap with Tabac and purchased just the stick. That’s not one I’ll feel the need to replace when and if I ever finish it.

Hi Everyone, looking to step up to some better soaps but not break the bank. I noticed you can buy, say MWF, in the ceramic bowl for $35 or a refill for $13. What are your thoughts on just buying the refills (Tabac, SV, MWF, etc) to save some money? Suggestions on why this isn't the way to go?? Thanks.
I always just buy refills and save some money. I can live without a cool jar.

I never buy the containers, it's the soap I want and any old container will do. I often use food stogage ones I get from the supermarket as they are airtight. If however you find that MWF is the only soap you will ever use, then spash for the container as it looks nice.
However ... a nice container promotes a certain pride of ownership, just sitting there on the counter waiting for shave time. For some people that's a big part of owning something nice. Like keeping cookies in a nice jar or drinking beer out of that special glass.

Welcome to B&B, Sir SkinnyPants89!

Don't fret about fancy jars or bowls quite yet!
For many years, I lathered a puck of Williams in a re-purposed plastic top to a can of Noxzema foam!
(It fit perfectly!)
Focus on your shave, technique, prep, etc.
Just enjoy!
You have lots of time ahead of you to explore the niceties!

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I got an MWF refill puck that lives in an airtight container that used to hold dried fruit. My Edwin Jagger soaps are in plastic lunch containers. I got a Tabac stick instead of the puck in a jar. All in all I can't count how much money I've saved buying refills, but I do know that the money I've saved buys an awful lot of expensive soap refills. The original containers may look great, but you can't shave with them.
P.S. I have a Fine Classic Lavender refill puck arriving soon😁

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I think if you’ve got a mug or container go for it especially if you can save some money. Sv soaps come in just the puck. I found it fits perfectly in the timeless bowl. I use that like a slightly larger mug.

Reactions: bjm
I have some jars and wooden bowls. I intend to purchase refill pucks in the future. That is until I have so many loose pucks that I need jars to hold them. And I fear that I may get to that point.

If you stick around here long enough it's only a matter of time until SAD (soap aquisition disorder) strikes! It hit me early and hard. But it's all good, now I have enough soap to last for years :biggrin1:

As to the original question, if funds are right I would go just with pucks and simple plastic containers from the big box store. If not and a container strikes you as interesting, spring for the container.

I wasn’t sure if I’d like MWF enough to justify the cost of getting it with the ceramic jar, so I opted for just the puck. Turns out I love it and now I regret not having its proper receptacle. And it will probably take me years before I finish it, since I have so many other favorite soaps.

On the other hand, I’m glad I went cheap with Tabac and purchased just the stick. That’s not one I’ll feel the need to replace when and if I ever finish it.

Keep an eye out on the buy/sell/trade board. I've seen them on there over the years.

Or just post that you are looking to buy a Mitchell's bowl.

As mentioned some members have a lot of shave bowls and mugs that are now not getting used. Maybe someone here has one that they are willing to part with.

Silly, but serious question.
Are you going to photograph your shaves? If so, spend the extra money for the pretty container.

if you’re not photographing , and you don’t care about aesthetics, go for the cheaper choice. I used glass Pyrex containers for 12 years.

I bough a Parker wood shave soap bowl off ebay... the thing reeks of lacquer. Don’t make same mistake I did.

If refills are available I usually just buy them and then put them into some aluminium screw top tins I got from the big A. The only exceptions are if I like the look of the container (the Arran stone's and the Tabac glass jar).

I noticed you mentioned SV, they are a strange one as the soaps they sell in their tins (which I think look really nice) are not the same soaps they sell as refills (the bases are the same but the scents are different).

Anything can act as a container...it's just a gimmick to look nice(r). Buy Tabac refill and press it into some generic bowl, for the difference of 10$ buy...I don't know...Haslinger puck :D

Top Bottom