What's new

1st Slant shave today

I tried out a Slant today for the 1st time, after using closed comb DE's for about a year and a half now. I have to say that it was ok.
The 1st noticeable difference was that there was less effort required on each stroke than there was before. I think I used a little too much pressure as I was used to using regular DE's, because the weepers came out, and I rarely get any.

I think I just need to work on my technique with the Slant a little more and maybe my results will match those of a closed comb DE.

Just my 2 cents regarding Slants.

I ve been considering purchasing a slant, is the technique that much different? Or is it mainly just the pressure?

I have been shaving with a 39c in rotation for about 6-8 months. Almost one year experience total.

I do not notice a difference in technique, except, as you say, you have to dial down the pressure completely. If you do, the 39c rewards you with a wonderfully close and comfortable shave.
Cheers.

I would love to see everyone, at least, try a slant. They really require no significant change in technique, are easy to use, and are really not aggressive. You can also use any good blade.

I enjoy the shaves I get from slants, I use them the same as I would any DE razor, find the right angle and shave with an easy grip to insure light pressure, I don't twist the head different, just hold razor against my face and shave in the direction of the handle not the angle of the slant, let the slant do the work for you.

I've been shaving daily with a Slant for nearly two years now. I don't do anything differently with it that I wouldn't do with any other DE. It's a very efficient, close shaver.

Thanks all. I'm going to give it a few more tries to get comfy with it, and hope it works out. So far, it was like my 1st shave with a regular DE...hacked up my neck with weepers, and the aftershave burned this time. I'll soldier on though!

a slant gives a truly effortless shave - well worth the effort. the fables of them being bloodletters are acts of fiction. use a mild blade and prep as you normally would then just let the razor do the rest.

while getting used to the slant stick with WTG and XTG until you get in the groove.

My mission this month is to start shaving with an open comb for the first time, maybe next month I'll try the slant. Any recommendations other than the 39 mentioned in the posts above? Does a #16 artistocrat count?...really want one of those. :drool:

My mission this month is to start shaving with an open comb for the first time, maybe next month I'll try the slant. Any recommendations other than the 39 mentioned in the posts above? Does a #16 artistocrat count?...really want one of those. :drool:
Gillette New long comb is a great first step into open combs. Almost sold it right away- ouch! Put it away and when I came back, technique was better and it is one of my favs now. (I am NOT talking about New Improved or Standard. Whoa they ATE my face. Altho I have been curious to go back and see if it was the razor or my lousy technique there too!)
Cheers

Good for you with the slant. The slant is usually my go to DE now after quite some time with the Merkur 1904 as my go to. The 1904 is now my backup DE.

The slant does not require any different technique. I put off using one for several months and then bought a 39. What was all the fuss about? Absolutely nothing. If you have the angle/pressure thing down, then nothing changes.

Ok, shave #2 with my new Slant and all is perfect! No nicks, and BBS! Just wish I could put my Bulldog handle on my Merkur slant! :(

Ok, shave #2 with my new Slant and all is perfect! No nicks, and BBS! Just wish I could put my Bulldog handle on my Merkur slant! :(

I was in the same boat as you. First shave with my 39C was a bit rough but after that it got much better. It was all attributed to pressure as many in this thread have already mentioned. It is always a great feeling when you achieve expected results.

Top Bottom