What's new

1st Shaversary (Ralf Aust, Parker, Proraso)

Well, it has been a great first year. I ordered a Ralf Aust for my birthday in December of 2019 and committed to
starting wet shaving in 2020. I live in Japan where resources are limited but I managed to grab some
Proraso green and a Parker badger brush (I realized later that I overpaid for the brush considering
the price and quality but that is part of the journey). I watched lots of videos, everything from
Nick Shaves and Charles Roberts to Anthony "The Stallion" Esposito and Chimensch (still my all-time favorite).
I went through a DE period and bought some beautiful old Gillettes as well as a dirt-cheap
Feather razor. I got obsessed with Rooney Heritage brushes and tried to get one in each handle
shape (in Super, I cannot afford Finest). Then I went down a Japanese SR rabbit hole searching for
deals on Tanifuji's, Kamijo's and Iwasaki's (still have not found a decent Tamahagane Iwasaki in my
price range). I tried to kept my soaps down to about a dozen and grabbed some tubs of Valobra before they
stopped making it as well as an Irisch Moos stick (I am still looking for NOS tallow Penhaligon English Fern).
I have made a few videos and I have turned a few friends onto wet shaving.

Throughout all the razor burn, nicks and cuts, I have really enjoyed learning the process.
I want to thank all of you for your advice, comments, PM's and support. I have nineteen
years to go to get to Chimensch level shaving. I am looking forward to learning more with
each and every shave. Today, I am breaking out my first gear and shaving with the Ralf
Aust, Parker and Proraso Green.

Thank you again, guys.

thumbnail_IMG_1061.jpg

A similar timeline and first razor to myself. The topic is much deeper than you would first imagine.

I may not have helped at all, but in reading your post, congrats! If you can, I’d recommend you get creams/soaps from Ariana and Evans/The Club. They all make great lather and leave your face feeling amazingly smooth, all for a great price!:)

Wonderfully written post. Congratulations on your journey! You have certainly gone down a few rabbit holes, but what's great about going down those holes is we learn more about shaving & what we like. I wish you well for your second year sir.

Top Bottom