What's new

1st Shave with the Rex Envoy

I ordered the Rex Envoy on Black Friday and have been waiting to give it a try while I was testing out another new razor. Last night was the big "day". 36 hours beard growth. I paired it with Razor Emporium's Barbershop shaving soap and got a BBS shave in 2 passes with minimal spot clean ups. It felt very smooth but closer than any of the 22 other razors I've used. I ended up with some irritation on my neck which started to burn about 10 minutes after the shave so I returned to the den to splash on some Proraso Green and it ended up great. Still close to BBS as I sit here and type this out.

I don't know if it's a daily driver but I highly recommend this razor!

Serious question..... Why would you highly recommend a razor that gave your neck irritation after a two pass shave? Do you normally experience irritation with your shaves?

I haven’t tried the Envoy yet, but the Ambassador is the only razor that I’ve ever experienced razor burn with. It was just as you described, a burning irritation on my neck mainly. I was bummed because I really wanted to like the Rex, but I just couldn’t get an irritation-free shave with it, even on the low settings.

I’m wondering if what you experienced is the norm for you with all your razors, or if the irritation was possibly caused by that particular razor.

Last edited:
The burn was likely user error more than the fault of the razor. Also, I deviated from my routine and didn’t use any aftershave or balm immediately after the shave as it was right before bed time. The burn didn’t arrive until I was waiting for my wife to get ready for bed. Post aftershave, the burn was gone. The Envoy gave what might be the best shave I’ve ever had and thus the recommendation.

Nice to get a razor that works well out of the box!! (It usually takes me awhile to ’dial in’ new hardware.)

Congrats! :a14: :a14:

Thanks. It gave me a shave that felt noticeably different than any previous one. It felt really smooth but more efficient than I've ever experienced. It just felt like a great shave should. I still need to work on the neck area obviously but even that felt great as I was shaving. The burn didn't show up for 10 or so minutes post-shave. I've tried other razors that were just too aggressive for my skin but I was able to feel that during the shaving process. I'll also be trying different blades till I find the best combo.

Thanks. It gave me a shave that felt noticeably different than any previous one. It felt really smooth but more efficient than I've ever experienced. It just felt like a great shave should. I still need to work on the neck area obviously but even that felt great as I was shaving. The burn didn't show up for 10 or so minutes post-shave. I've tried other razors that were just too aggressive for my skin but I was able to feel that during the shaving process. I'll also be trying different blades till I find the best combo.

Good move! Getting the optimal blade/blades for a particular razor can make a huge difference. :thumbup:

Another excellent razor. I am about 6 shaves into mine and it's quite efficient. The handle knurling is the best I have come across. Super grippy. It's on the smaller size, so getting used to that. I don't have the ambassador, but wouldn't want much more in the way of aggression, so think that this fills a nice spot in the market in the efficient but smooth category.

On a side note, I also ordered some aftershave, which broke in shipping. My shipping box was drenched (good smell though). Razor emporium immediately sent out a replacement. Quick and direct service to make things right. Good job

I forgot to comment on the handle knurling. Like you said, Taniwha, it is the grippiest handle I've ever felt.

I'm on the fence with the Ambassador. I agree that I don't need a more aggressive razor but there's something pulling me towards the adjustable anyway. They say the Envoy is like the Ambassador on level 3 so there's always levels 1 & 2 I'm missing out on!

I forgot to comment on the handle knurling. Like you said, Taniwha, it is the grippiest handle I've ever felt.

I'm on the fence with the Ambassador. I agree that I don't need a more aggressive razor but there's something pulling me towards the adjustable anyway. They say the Envoy is like the Ambassador on level 3 so there's always levels 1 & 2 I'm missing out on!
You can set the Ambassador anywhere between 1 and 6

You can set the Ambassador anywhere between 1 and 6

Sure but if the Envoy is like 3 on the Ambassador and that's as aggressive as I'm comfortable getting I'll never go between 3 and 6. That leaves 1 & 2 open to me on the Ambassador.

I like my Ambassador on 2.5 so, just a bit less than your 3. That is the great thing about adjustables, you can fine tune the shave.

I had my second shave with the Envoy this morning and corrected my technique on the neck. No irritation at all this time so the first was definitely user error. Really nice shave overall.

I just ordered one today. I’ve been loving my ambassador the last year or so I’ve had it. Might as well try it out.

Since it’s basically the same razor except non adjustable, and a 3 piece set at 3. I don’t see why not, feel free to join.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I sometimes get irritation on my neck. I can get it with several razors I own and at other times I don't. It seems to me it comes down to the slickness of the soap due to the fact that the same razor can give me burn or not.

I own three DE razors. Feather AS-D2, Schone, and Carbon Shaving CX. I can get a superb shave with any, but the Feather is by far the easiest. The other two require more concentration and more slickness to do the same job.

In that vein, I can certainly see the OP recommending a razor that burned him. It was shave number one. I've been guilty myself but I suspect that if we all put in the time, any razor we've ever owned if our only one could give us a fantastic shave.

Thank you for sharing! I have been searching the forum for reviews on the Envoy this evening, as well as the Ambassador. Leaning more towards the Envoy....

Top Bottom