What's new

1st shave with soap (versus cream) in a few years

Gentlemen: My wife and I are going on a cruise later this year. Stateroom sinks are small, so my wife has 'insisted' I not take up too much space with my shave stuff on this trip, so I will need to leave my razor Col Conk stand, scuttle, and tube of C. O. Bigelow cream, at home. I will take one razor, one brush, and an ample supply of blades, however.

I ordered a puck of Col Conk's Bay Rum soap with glycerin to take on our trip. I found a cheap soup mug at Walmart for ($4.86 USD) to use lieu of a mug or scuttle. On 9 July, I shaved using soap--versus cream--for the first time in 3 years. on a 2-day beard growth. I got a BBS quality shave, using a Gillette Super Speed (W2) with a Personna Red blade.

These are pictures of what my shave gear yesterday morning:

View attachment 803106 View attachment 803107 View attachment 803107

Great work! (And keeping LOTH happy is an EXCELLENT APPROACH IMO!)

One suggestion: you really do not need a mug. You might consider getting a 'stick' like container then grating your soap to fill it. Another option is to use your puck like a stick, then face lather.

Why leave the cream at home?. Either face lather it or you could borrow a mug, or soup bowl, from the ships kitchen and lather in it.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I tend to use either a cream, squeezed into a smaller container, or a shave stick while traveling. I can face lather either one. A pill bottle with a hole drilled in the top is a great container for a stick.

Gentlemen: My wife and I are going on a cruise later this year. Stateroom sinks are small, so my wife has 'insisted' I not take up too much space with my shave stuff on this trip, so I will need to leave my razor Col Conk stand, scuttle, and tube of C. O. Bigelow cream, at home. I will take one razor, one brush, and an ample supply of blades, however.

I ordered a puck of Col Conk's Bay Rum soap with glycerin to take on our trip. I found a cheap soup mug at Walmart for ($4.86 USD) to use lieu of a mug or scuttle. On 9 July, I shaved using soap--versus cream--for the first time in 3 years. on a 2-day beard growth. I got a BBS quality shave, using a Gillette Super Speed (W2) with a Personna Red blade.

These are pictures of what my shave gear yesterday morning:

View attachment 803106 View attachment 803107 View attachment 803107

I have been on two cruises in the last 3 years. Both times I took two small containers of shaving soap. One was what was called a shooter from Tiki. It is a small 2 1/2 inch or so tub and the other was a travel size proraso green tub. I have a collapsible rubber bowl but I didn't use it. Just lathered the brush from the puck and then face lathered. Worked out great. Make sure any blades you take are stored in your checked bag if you are flying.

We like going on cruises to escape the Minnesota winter. I usually take a puck of Stirling in the metal containers they sell (although I think they're going to larger plastic containers instead now). I load up my travel brush and face lather.

Top Bottom