What's new

1st shave with Pinaud Bay Run :(

So I have been anticipating using a Bay Rum for quit some time. It was naturally a no brainier as to try Pinaud's rendition of this scent as for the fact that it comes highly recommended on this board. This morning I tried a splash. No discomfort and enjoyed the aroma. About 45 minutes later my skin became heavily irritated and rashy.:sad:

So as a verdict I believe my skin is allergic to Pinaud's Bay Rum. Really unfortunate. I shall not give up my search for a bay rum to keep in my line up.

I have my eye on Trumper's :smile:

Pinaud Bay Rum turns me bright red for about five minutes, then it's all good. Small price to pay for such an awesome scent.

If it doesn't cause you that much discomfort, use it as much as you can and hopefully your tolerance will increase. I had a reaction like yours the first couple of times I used it, now it doesn't bother me except when I splash it on my chest. Like I said, after a couple of minutes that, too, fades.

I heard someone mention on this board that the Bay Rum scents use clove oil, or some rendition of cloves, and that this is why people have bad experiences with Bay Rum products. Whether this is true or not, I do not know. Bay Rum does not work for me either, and I would be interested to know if the clove oil makes a difference or not.

Good luck in your search for a good, gentle Bay Rum product. When you find it, let us know because I would love to try it as well.

Pinaud does use clove oil in their Bay rum.
It gives it a real kick, I also use Master Bay Rum
great old time scent. The other one i use is Dominica
Original Bay Rum much more medicinal than the others.

I do prefer the master as it does last longer than Pinaud or Dominica

Clove or Bay Rum doesn't give me any type of reaction when used in other products, just Pinaud Bay Rum. I suspect it's another ingredient, or a combination of ingredients.

My irritation is at either side of my sole patch. No where else. It is red and the skin is upraised. Very itchy like a bad insect bite. It's a shame I do really like the scent though. I do want to give Trumper's rendition a try though.

My irritation is at either side of my sole patch. No where else. It is red and the skin is upraised. Very itchy like a bad insect bite. It's a shame I do really like the scent though. I do want to give Trumper's rendition a try though.

Perhaps the problem is one of blade to face, not necessarily the product. Maybe those hairs are a little tougher, and the blade is not cutting them as smoothly.

Maybe but I doubt it. I never Had that irritation before. I changed nothing out of the routine I normally use accept the Bay Rum.

I'm not sure who they get it from (like they do with Proraso) but CO Biggies Bay Rum AS Balm is freakin awesome. It's not too heavy and the scent is very gently. :)

Trumper's is really a cologne formulation, and it's heavy on the clove. I think Pinaud's is more of a cologne, too. That's why, to me at least, people always give the "burn" as one of the selling points:confused:. I don't care for Pinaud's aroma, and Trumper's did nothing for me, either.

The recommendation for CO Bigelow's bay rum balm is a good one. Since you were willing to pay the money for Trumper's, might I suggest St. John's bay rum balm? The scent is in a class by itself. I find it almost addictive.

True bay rum, in my opinion, is more of a tonic/aftershave than a scent obtainable through a cologne. Try some of the lighter varieties like Dominica before you give up on the bay rum. It's been a while since I used Dominica, but I liked to keep it in the refrigerator for a nice, cool, bracing splash after the shave.

Don

Trumper's is really a cologne formulation, and it's heavy on the clove. I think Pinaud's is more of a cologne, too. That's why, to me at least, people always give the "burn" as one of the selling points:confused:. I don't care for Pinaud's aroma, and Trumper's did nothing for me, either.

The recommendation for CO Bigelow's bay rum balm is a good one. Since you were willing to pay the money for Trumper's, might I suggest St. John's bay rum balm? The scent is in a class by itself. I find it almost addictive.

True bay rum, in my opinion, is more of a tonic/aftershave than a scent obtainable through a cologne. Try some of the lighter varieties like Dominica before you give up on the bay rum. It's been a while since I used Dominica, but I liked to keep it in the refrigerator for a nice, cool, bracing splash after the shave.

Don

I will definitely look into the Bigelow bay rum. I will have to order it online as the local retailer here only stocks the shave cream (which I love).

hmm. i find i get the most intense skin irritation and burn from this stuff, which disapears in about a minute, and just never happens if i use a small amount of aloe vera gel right after i apply it.

Yes.

It's an all over body splash that for generations has been used as an effective and extremely popular aftershave.

Gad.

Every Pinaud Bay Rum thread, man...

Just trying to help the poor guy understand why his skin is so heavily irritated and rashy.

Sorta like using witch hazel to wipe your *** and developing a nagging case of pruritis.

If it doesn't say so on the bottle then don't do it.

Okay, fair enough. You're trying to help. Could you tell the hundreds of thousands of us other poor guys why we don't have this issue with Pinaud Bay Rum as an aftershave?

Here's the thing that struck me about his reaction, though - bumpy skin, bad itch.

That doesn't sound like Pinaud's alcohol burn or even fragrance sensitivity. It sounds like an allergic reaction.

Whether Pinaud bay rum is a body splash that fails/succeeds as an aftershave is academic if he has an allergy. An allergy would mess him up whether it was on his face or his chest.

There are lots of other bay rums out there. The OP may find that he has an issue with none of them, all of them, some of them, etc. I would keep looking and avoid Pinaud if I were in the same situation.

On a more personal note, just between the two of us, if you don't want to use Pinaud's Bay rum as an AS because it was originally marketed as a skin tonic, that's fine. But way too many people have used it as an AS for way too long to think it must remain a skin tonic. No one thinks some grooming god will punish them for soothing a shave with the stuff. Nobodys face is gonna melt off if the stuff can be safely splashed on the entire body. The only people who have an issue will a) not like it, b) have a fragrance sensitivity or c) have an allergy.

The ingredients are water, alcohol and fragrance - the same as hundreds of aftershaves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom