What's new

1st shave stick... Now what?

So I have my hands on my first shave stick, Arko. I have used it once, a different experience for sure. It was also my first go with Arko as well and it is a different soap then Stirling which my normal.

With Stirling I leave the lid off for a day then cap it til next use.

What do I do if I don't use the Arko for a week. The foil isn't long to wrap it back up. I tore that too far down. Rookie mistake?

Right now it is just sitting in the cabinet like I left it from yesterday's shave.

Can I leave it like that?

Sorry if this seems so simple to you.

KM

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Not simple! If you DON'T like smell, let it air out.

I absolutely LOVE the smell of Arko, and I have found that the cheapest way to preserve that goodness is to put the Arko Man stick in a used pharmacy pill bottle that is big enough to hold him!

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I think Arko is great and has a clean soapy smell. I’m using the puck and have a stick waiting in the wings, although I imagine it will be some time before I tear into it. The only other stick I have is Speick, and I store it in a small tin between uses unwrapped. Used it this morning and performed as expected.

I honestly didn't have a real issue with the smell, it was more the "care" of the stick between shaves.

The smell to me is just a clean soap smell. I have actually smelt the urinal cake smell for just a split second once. No one else has said that when I had them smell it in the house.

So I need to find a shave stick container for this thing is what I am reading. Thanks for the info folks.

Thanks

KM

Unless you’re taking the stick on the road with you, there’s no procedure for drying it while at home. Simply use it and place is wherever you like in between shaves and that’s it!

if you take it on the road, you’ll need somewhere to store it so it doesn’t get all over everything. Many use an empty pill bottle or one of those twist up containers. I don’t like twist up containers myself, cheap and the sticks I love already come with a container so don’t have the need.

Now if you like the shave stick format, there’s a few other excellent sticks that come with a travel container already. All three are excellent soaps too, I use them all regularly:

La Toja
Speick
Tabac

I just leave my Arko stick in the Den by my stand that holds a razor and a brush.

Have kept it in the foil and used twist up containers. As BudgetShaveGuy mentioned it doesn't make any difference to the soap or how it performs.

It's another reason why it stays in my rotation. It's a low maintenance soap.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I throw my shave stick into this tin that I nabbed for $1. Easy to stack with with other soaps in my drawer. I imagine I’ll add Arko once it’s opened. As others have said, unnecessary, but it’s working for me.
D35218D8-3AE6-4368-891A-2DD27B13FEA3.jpeg

Well it appears a positive of this soap in this format is the simplicity of use and care between uses.

I do notice my skin feels drier and tighter when using this soap.

I used it for the second time today and it just doesn't feel like I am hydrating the soap enough. I will add more water the next time it comes out.

Thanks again.

KM

Well it appears a positive of this soap in this format is the simplicity of use and care between uses.

I do notice my skin feels drier and tighter when using this soap.

I used it for the second time today and it just doesn't feel like I am hydrating the soap enough. I will add more water the next time it comes out.

Thanks again.

KM

Arko is a thirsty one. It used to dry me out early on when I was overloading it. A thin film is plenty.

You don't need much product, it's very hard to drown it!

See if you can find a prescription pill bottle that will hold your stick. Drill a few holes in the top to let the air circulate. If you want to get fancy, you can cut a hole in the bottom, slip a coin in the bottle then put your stick on the coin. Now, you can push up on the coin to expose the soap while you apply it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I grate most of my shave sticks into pucks and use them like normal tubs of soaps. Doing this works for me and then I just place the lid on the pucked soap and no worries.

Unless you’re taking the stick on the road with you, there’s no procedure for drying it while at home. Simply use it and place is wherever you like in between shaves and that’s it!

if you take it on the road, you’ll need somewhere to store it so it doesn’t get all over everything. Many use an empty pill bottle or one of those twist up containers. I don’t like twist up containers myself, cheap and the sticks I love already come with a container so don’t have the need.

Now if you like the shave stick format, there’s a few other excellent sticks that come with a travel container already. All three are excellent soaps too, I use them all regularly:

La Toja
Speick
Tabac

Great recommendations!! I especially like La Toja, great performance with a very mild scent!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

When I face-lather with Arko/Tabac I start off with painting strokes. Add a little water to the brush then paint, paint, paint until you've got an even cream. More water, more painting, working the water in evenly each time. Repeat until it feels like the soap is starting to get too runny to stay on your face. Finally, add a few more drops of water, splay the brush and scrub vigorously to whip up a lather.

I grate most of my shave sticks into pucks and use them like normal tubs of soaps. Doing this works for me and then I just place the lid on the pucked soap and no worries.

I just started doing this as well. I don't like face lathering so in order to use the sticks I have laying around, I cut them up and press into an empty soap container. Works great.

When I was trying to face lather, I would just leave the stick as is after use and put it away. Never wrapped it or did anything....never seemed to have any negative affects as far as I can tell.

...When I was trying to face lather, I would just leave the stick as is after use and put it away. Never wrapped it or did anything....never seemed to have any negative affects as far as I can tell.
It doesn't seem to cause any problems leaving the sticks out, it seems they were made with that kind of use in mind. Traveling is where the container really comes in handy. Even then, the La Toja container can come open on you, so it's best to put it in a ziplock bag or something similar. The prescription pill bottle is secure so that works well. You can also re-purpose empty push-up containers of deodorant.

Top Bottom