What's new

1st shave of Coticule

1st shave of a Coticule edge and I can confirm that its very smooth, even the post shave feel was softer. I dont think its sharper than other naturals or synthetic edges but its sure is comfortable. I could not feel the edge on my skin which is partly scary. Its also needs a bit more effort to shave that other edges. Even though it needs more effort and does not feel as sharp the shave quality was great. I think that changes in pressure with a Coticule edge will less likely result in weepers, nicks or cut. I need more time to learn the stone but I think I am going to enjoy this..

I’d like to hear how the more experienced coticule shavers decribe/compare shave feel to other edges.

I think edge comparisons are going to be tough. I ended up with some Coticule edges that make it pretty hard to decide if they are more or less keen than other stones (even Jnats). But I tend to do a little linen stropping after the Stone & then back to the Coticule for a little more weight of the blade strokes then back for a full stropping sequence.
But edges also vary from Coticule to Coticule as well.
Finally I have a couple of razors that do best on Coticules even if I can get them a bit keener off a jnat for example. Some just wind up smoother off a Coticule.

My coticule edge is my favorite thing to shave with. HOWEVER I think coticule edge is best for daily shaving/shaving often. If you have say a week of growth or more then I prefer to use a jnat edge if I can

Maybe I'm just bad with my coticule or maybe coticules differ alot but my smoothest and sharpest edges are off jnats(I usually run it 25 laps on 0.25 diamond balsa and then 0.1 cbn balsa, that takes the edge to an unreal level). The edges of my coticule that I've done are quite rough, the opposite of smooth, but plenty sharp.
Seems to be the opposite of what everyone are saying so I must be doing something wrong lol.

My first coticule edge shaved well enough, and after a week or so I was bumping the sharpness on an abrasive charged strop. At some point I figured it out and my edges were 'there' - but it took a while before I learned the stone and the process.
A coticule can teach how good or bad the bevel really is, the edge geometry is different, so these edges feel and cut different. Shave technique might need to accommodate the edge style, Bart spoke of that at least once, I find it to be true.
There will almost always be more curvature on a coti edge and if the bevel wasn't 110% on the money to begin with it the results might not be desireable. At the end of the day, I get great effortless shaves from Coti edges, they're different, not better or worse. Just different.

I’m curious how you used the coticule and what coticule you’re using. My coticules and their respective shaves all vary greatly depending on these factors which is very different than my synthetics which are pretty straight forward. For example, did you full dilucot? Unicot? Synthetic transfer? How much stropping (both linen and leather)? What’s the blade? Did you finish on slurry, water, soap, oil or under running water?

To respond to your original question, I’m forever chasing the tail of the dragon but in general coticules provide me with a comfortable edge that has a lot more feedback than most others. Depending on some of the methods mentioned above, that edge varies from brisk to mellow. I also have certain razors that love coticules and others that don’t, as a result I enjoy the shave off those more. Looking forward to hearing more about your coticule progress.

A coticule edge can be a varying entity. I think that the razor itself and its grind can also be a factor. I just reworked a Boker that needed attention. My LaVeinette put a decent edge on it. Afterwards... A few minutes on the Zulu Grey tuned everything up to a cleaner frequency. Part of the experimental adventure...what makes it interesting.
C932D475-2D40-4AA6-A6A1-FEEE58A47FB4.jpeg

Last edited:
@AndHeB The coticule is a la petite blanche, or so it was sold. I honed a CVH MK4 and 7/8 Bismarck. I am not familiar with some terminology so here goes. I only used the coti, no tape with a milky stone, dont know what it is. Once bevel was set is started diluting the slurry until clear water and then finished of no pressure under running water. I stropped on heavy suede and the fast cowhide leather.

Stone in question
5EE2992B-91D2-41F8-9A93-E56EF9BA19E7.jpeg

Looks like a nice stone to me. They say that La Petite Blanche are typically on the faster end of the spectrum so I suspect that finishing on pure or running water as you’ve done would be the way to go, though admittedly I’ve never used one. Thanks for sharing!

I love coticule edges but they are typically not as sharp the other popular honing methods, though I haven’t encountered a more comfortable edge.

Keep experimenting with it. It’s very possible you’re not getting everything out of it that it has to offer. It took me months of putting down and picking back up before I had my “eureka”
Shave.

i don’t think we can post links to other forums but if you google
-coticule Belgium- you should be able to find the afore mentioned Barts
fanboy site for coticules.

Try stropping and finishing again under water after what you are currently doing. Often you can improve the edge that way.

Also you should check your slurry stone. I often carry two with my LPB - one for bevel work and one for pre finishing. One is an exact match stone, the other is faster.

In terms of the results it depends on the layer and the technique.

My best coticule edges are up there with paste. I only get this with two or three odd modern stones which behave quite differently to other coticules. I have found hybrids with a yellow vein in the coticule layer to be my best stones. I suspects it is more to do with them matching my honing technique than them being a "better" layer.

Just my personal experience, YMMV:

La Petite Blanche - sets a good bevel and finishes on the low end of sharpness for me. A good shave though. Best all rounder that I've found. It's my desert island stone. I have repaired chips and maintained a razor soup to nuts with mine.

La Nouvelle Veine - very very smooth edge, not sharp at all, but somehow cuts well with good technique. Gentlest on the skin.
La Grosse Juane - kind of buttery, muted best after other stones. Low to medium
La Veinette - don't see what all the fuss is about - maybe I've never had a good one. I usually follow with something else. Meh sharpness.
Fine vintage stones - very sharp with oil. On paper the best edges but don't feel very coti like. Very fine sharpness
La Verte - don't like this on its own, but refreshes to a very high level. Very easy to use as a refresher. Nice after a JNAT. Medium high sharpness
La Grise - I can push La Grise to a higher sharpness than any other stone. These are generally my favourites.
Les latneuse - just can't get these to do much. Have one that polishes well after other stones, but, *yawn*, so boring... I guess it adds sharpness

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
La Veinette - don't see what all the fuss is about - maybe I've never had a good one. I usually follow with something else. Meh sharpness.

The new La Veinettes from Regne are very different from the ones mined at Ol Preu. I've had a half dozen of each, and the newer ones have been consistently softer, slower, and have a bit of grainy feedback. La Veinettes from the ~2010 era are much harder, much faster, and a lot finer, and of course, as rare as hens teeth.

@Seveneighth I did strop and continue honing under running water after the 1st shave yesterday and the edge improved a good bit. I am sure there is more to come and If I had to stop here I would be content, but of course I will not...

I was somewhat skeptical about coti edges as many call them not sharp enough, but its already right up there with very keen alternatives.

my first coticule shaves were terrible. I searched the forum s fir advice and my results improved. It was only until Bart came along I got the hang of the coticule with descent shaves.

bart honed honed my razor for me using a coticule. The method was dilucot.

the shave was outstanding, and that’s when I chased that level and I succeeded using a la grosse Jaune from the old mine back in 2009 and the smoothness of the shave was unique.

The new La Veinettes from Regne are very different from the ones mined at Ol Preu. I've had a half dozen of each, and the newer ones have been consistently softer, slower, and have a bit of grainy feedback. La Veinettes from the ~2010 era are much harder, much faster, and a lot finer, and of course, as rare as hens teeth.
I suspect it"s more about me than the stone. However I would love to test our some of the Ol Preu stones to find out.

I agree with the above post the older mine produced much nicer coticule appearance wise and quality I really lost interest in the resent coticule there not the same . I have had lots over the years and they have changed .
I have just one LV and it’s older stock and it’s awesome coticule.

La Veinettes have always varied a good bit in texture. Based on my experience, they tended to MOSTLY be somewhat soft (not muddy, but not notably hard either). I always considered the texture of a LV like a somewhat harder, somewhat coarser Thuri feel under the razor... with a bit more of velvet or clingy draw to the stone. The hard ones were pretty rare (I sold a 10" hard LV for $500 and as soon as I sold it I knew I let it go WAY too cheap). I wouldn't be surprised if they've gone a bit downhill though as they struggle to meet demand. Even the soft ones used to be sufficiently fine, and just going off pictures I've seen of recently mined LV's... they kind of looked a bit suspect to me.

But LV's were never an ultra-fine coti from what I remember. They are dumb-easy to use, that's what their appeal was. The especially hard and fine examples are the exception, not the rule.

Of course hard vs soft is all relative. I find LV's in general "soft" because I tend to only keep/use VERY HARD coticules, so my LV's are definitely on the very soft end of my collection. Compared to my synth/reform coticules, yeah they're pretty hard.

Top Bottom