What's new

1st Restoration - I'm hooked

Hello all.

I've been wetshaving since Christmas and just recently started learning to use a straight. Love it and really thank this community immensely for my success.

Well, I'm a tinkerer and a hobbyist with everything I do so AD's had to follow. I also love making/restoring related items.

Found this great little brush for $1 at an antiques mall in Greeneville, TN while vacationg with my wife.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I was surprised with how good of a shape the handle was in.

The knot came out fairly easily. The only tricky part is that there is no shelf that the old knot sat on. It just sat right on top of the wood from the handle. Nothing a dremel tool couldn't fix (actually used dremel bits mounted in my drill press for more control).

proxy.php

proxy.php

The hole measured 21mm so I ordered a 22mm Best Badger knot from Whippeddog.com. Man is this thing soft. I did have to open up the hole a good bit to get it to fit but I'm very happy with it.

proxy.php

Here it is beside my other badger brush, a Crabtree & Evelyn Best Badger small (made by Edwin Jagger). I love this brush, of course that is compared to the VDH I started with.

proxy.php

I let the knot set up for 24 hours before I used it. Oh man, this thing is a sponge. I did my usual, let it soak in water while I was in the shower then shook it out gently and began to work some Real Shave Co cream. It was like soup. The brush held so much water I had to start over and actually squeeze some of the water out this time.

Got some great results (sorry, no picture it was on a rushed morning). The knot is considerably denser than the C&E BBB and has a lot more back bone. At the same time, the tips are softer. I love this brush!!!!!!

Here's a shot of the blooms for comparison. I need to get a shot from the top so you can see the density.

proxy.php

The brush is hanging up right now letting some polyeurathane (sp?) dry on the handle. Figured I should protect the wood some since I will definitely be using the brush a lot.

I've also got two EverReady handles that are almost ready for knots. I will certainly be getting them from Whippeddog.com again.

Anyway, I'm excited so I wanted to share this accomplishment.

Charlie

P

Pjotr

Looks really nice. Glad you didn't stain the handle as a lot would do. You can actually see where it's been used and marked. The patina as it were. I think it's polyurethane.

Looks really nice. Glad you didn't stain the handle as a lot would do. You can actually see where it's been used and marked. The patina as it were. I think it's polyurethane.

I was tempted to stain it but I really wanted to show the age of the brush. I'm working on a razor restoration right now and I do not want to make the razor look brand new. I want it to look 80-90 years old, just usable.

I do believe you are right on the spelling. Of course I could have opened Word and checked it but guess I was just being lazy. :blushing:

Charlie

Congratulations, Charlie...great job and a very nice brush! Looks like the restoration hook is set deep. Enjoy the ride!:thumbup1:

Very nice save!! It looks as though it were new and just out of the box.
Respectfully
~Richard

My wife and I are going a a short vacation, for her 50th high school reunion, and I plan on hitting a few antique stores, and know of one big antique mall to check out.

It is alway fun to use something you had a hand in finishing.

+1

My restores are some of my favorite brushes to use. It's just so cool to think that you took something that ran the full course of its natural life and revived it for another 30 - 40 years of service.

Really nice restoration. I saw some of the new paintbrush style brushes at Model Pharm in Albuquerque, but I like yours much better!

Top Bottom