What's new

1st DE shave: Timeless .95 OC

Finally acquired my very first DE razor, a SS Timeless .95 OC base + smooth cap, on a Timeless Titanium handle (all polished). My first shave was a week ago today (Saturday) and I've shaved with it each day since. First day's shave, on 4 days growth, was with much trepidation, and after WTG, XTH and ATG, I bailed to my cartridge for the cleanup (wasn't much, but I was frankly scared by that point). Had a few weepers on my neck, but all in all, a DFS success in my books. As for the details, no brush yet, just hand applied Cremo Sandalwood creme, and a King C. Gillette blade from my local Walgreens (I'll need to order a sample pack of blades to sort that part out).

Day 2 was, shall we say, a learning experience, but not catastrophic. Just not as good as day 1, and I was left a bit more tender.

Day 3 was a small step in the right direction, which was encouraging. Still learning the angles for the Timeless.

Day 4 was much better - just oh so close to being BBS (just shy in a few under the jaw spots). This day I showered first, and it paid off.

Day 5, humility time. Tried to rush (short on time) and it was, shall we say, SAS and no more.

Day 6 was not as good as 4, but better than any other to date.

Day 7 (today), took my time (Saturday) and achieved what to me seems to qualify as BBS, but my neck is more tender than I like. But, all in all, I'm encouraged and actually looking forward to shaving each day. I'll probably try a week skipping alternate days to see how I fare that way - the Timeless shaves close enough to get away with it (I think). Now I need to find a brush and some proper soap.

Pics of my Timeless:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Beauty razor! I am shaving the same .95OC this week but in titanium.

Though the blade gap translates to around a 7 on a Gillette adjustable - and I can shave a 9 on that razor - I still have to go lightly with the Timeless.

I use the .68OC plate more (about 3.5 on that Gillette) and it's more forgiving of my bad habits (pressure).

You've jumped right in! Should like that a lot in time. Congrats.

AA

Congrats and welcome to this beautiful hobby. I get better shaves when I shave every 2 days but because I enjoy it a lot, I shave every day most of the time. Let us know how it works for you.

Welcome to the hobby. DE shaving combines grooming and a hobby. After 2 years of DE shaving and 11 razors (vintage and modern) in my bathroom, I have moved beyond a journeyman and I am aspiring to the master level of shaving. A good shaving result requires a constant tweaking of seemingly small things (razor, blade, pre-shave prep, right amount of shaving cream, angle, pressure, etc.). I now am getting consistently great results without nicks and it's a lot of fun. It helps that I have a coarse beard and skin that isn't sensitive. I keep saying that I'm not buying any more vintage or modern razors, but who knows?

Welcome to B&B and the wet shaving hobby! My one piece of advice is to watch out for the rabbit holes, they can be deeeeep. But then that can be part of the fun too!
Indeed, if you track my history in a number of other forums (knives, guns, chainsaws, cars, etc) you'd see I can verify that. :welcoming:

I love my Timeless. Polished stainless, scalloped cap and both bases. Began with the milder base for several months and have now adopted the .95 as my daily driver. Go slow and very light pressure. You might want to try a more oblique angle on your neck to reduce irritation.

Welcome, beautiful razor. It might be a little on the aggressive side so less forgiving of technique. Shaving every other day for awhile might be a good, it'll let your face recover a bit. A nice slice soap will go a long way toward a pleasant shave. Best of luck and enjoy the journey!

Day 7 (today), took my time (Saturday) and achieved what to me seems to qualify as BBS, but my neck is more tender than I like. But, all in all, I'm encouraged and actually looking forward to shaving each day.
If you are going to improve on technique don't rush the shaves. As you have discovered, you need to concentrate to build a good technique.
There is good advice in the Shave Wiki, including choosing a brush; {top left of page}, ShaveWiki | Badger & Blade

Wow. When you decide to start, you go all in! Can't imagine spending that much money on a razor if I wasn't already sure that I enjoyed shaving that way.

Fantastic choice on your first DE razor! My SS .68 says hello. As for soap and brush, get yourself a $10 tub of Proraso Green and a $25 Semogue 610 boar brush to start, then start selling plasma to fund the endless stream of new supplies you'll be trying. Congrats!

It took me a few razors until I found my Timeless. I’ve now sold all other DE’s. Fantastic start. Stick with it. They don’t get much better than this.

I love my Timeless. Polished stainless, scalloped cap and both bases. Began with the milder base for several months and have now adopted the .95 as my daily driver. Go slow and very light pressure. You might want to try a more oblique angle on your neck to reduce irritation.
Much appreciated, will try it.

Fantastic choice on your first DE razor! My SS .68 says hello. As for soap and brush, get yourself a $10 tub of Proraso Green and a $25 Semogue 610 boar brush to start, then start selling plasma to fund the endless stream of new supplies you'll be trying. Congrats!
Literally did LOL at that one.

Monday's shave, the 8th shave after taking Sunday off, was a little disappointing. My face went great, but my neck ended up irritated. Today (Tuesday) went much better, and was with a different prep. After a warm (not hot) shower, I used Shave Secret oil alone, and went very slowly with near zero pressure beyond simple contact. DFS+ bordering on BBS, which I could have achieved but wanted to make sure I didn't irritate my neck again. Learning...

Top Bottom