What's new

1st DE Shave in Indy

Hello everyone! I've been lurking here less than a week, mainly looking to save money from what I was paying for the Fusion carts. After spending hours reading these forums on Monday, I discovered that there's a lot more to it than saving money.....it can actually be a much better experience. I had gone ahead and ordered an EJDE89L since it was on sale for a great price ($27 shipped). I had about 3 or 4 models on my list but I went with that just to try out. I also ordered a 100-ct package of the Personna Lab Blue blades.

I didn't actually intend on trying a wet shave for a few weeks until I was done with the Fusion carts, but this stuff started arriving and while I was browsing at a department store I saw a Van Der Hagen Shaving Set with the bowl, brush and soap. I decided to go ahead and get it even though I know I want to buy a better quality brush and soap. The anticipation was killing me and I really wanted to see if I could do it!

So tonight, I had my first wet shave. I prepped a little with a hot shower and one of the pre-shave samples that came with the DE89L. While in the shower, I soaked the brush in warm water. Once I got out I tried to work the brush into the soap and see if I could make a good lather in the bowl. I got some but nowhere near what it should be. I'll keep practicing that. I applied some on my right cheek but I never could get it to stay very thick like I've seen on some of the Youtube videos. I ended up abandoning the lather and used the can of Barbasol I had lying around.

I have to say that it wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. Of course had I not read all the tips on these forums, I probably would've cut my face up, but I made sure to try and get the angle right and not to apply pressure. I did a first pass with the grain, no problems at all. One thing I noticed right away was how the DE does not tug or pull like the multi-blade carts do. I rinsed and re-applied the cream, did a 2nd pass against the grain, still no nicks or weepers. I wasn't going to do the 3rd pass across the face as I'd read that newbies should probably get some experience first, but since I hadn't cut myself yet, I decided to give it a go. I did the 3rd pass and still didn't have a nick or a weeper anywhere. I rinsed off and applied the sample aftershave which stung a little (but in a good way).

Overall, I can honestly say that I now see what all the fuss is about. I don't think my face has felt this smooth in decades. It's wonderful! It did take quite a while as I went very slow (about 20 minutes total), but it was totally worth it. I'm not sure how much money I'm going to save in the long run because now I want to try all sorts of different soaps, brushes, blades, etc. I'm even curious about buying a vintage Gillette at some point.

Anyway, I'm glad to be a part of this community now. My quest to save some money led me to find a terrific new hobby.

Sounds exactly like my experience. I just want to refine my shave knowledge now so I can continually get better results.

Welcome to B&B; enjoy the forum and your shaves. You're off to a great start. Really, really load that brush with soap. I mean 45-60 seconds of swirling. Go to the bowl and whip it a while, but then spend some time really working that lather into your skin. That's what softens the whiskers and preps them for cutting. Great job thus far, though.

Congrats and welcome. While you're saving money just be careful not to spend too much as you start to venture into new products. It's a marathon and not a sprint!

Congrats on the first shave and welcome to the forum. I am only a few months in myself. There are a lot of helpful people on here very willing to share their knowledge and experience. This is a great forum.

Grats! sounds like you're off to a great start. Slick deal on that Edwin Jagger.
Thanks! Yeah the great price is what pushed that one to the top of the list. So far, I love it!

GencoOliveOilCompany said:
Really, really load that brush with soap. I mean 45-60 seconds of swirling. Go to the bowl and whip it a while, but then spend some time really working that lather into your skin. That's what softens the whiskers and preps them for cutting.
I'm working on it. I am going to order some higher quality soap, but in the meantime I am still trying to get the Van Der Hagen to work.

Tiernan 22 said:
Congrats and welcome. While you're saving money just be careful not to spend too much as you start to venture into new products. It's a marathon and not a sprint!
Thanks! I know that's the logical thing to do. Although it hasn't worked with my wife and Coach purses. :w00t:

Thanks to everyone for the welcome!

I am new to B&B but not to wet shaving. I enjoyed reading your post... your choice of the EJ89 was a very wise one... one of the smoothest razors on the market. Just keep trying with the soap and brush once you get the hang of it you will find it far superior the canned stuff. Actually the Van Der Hagen soap lathers and works quite well. The propellants in the canned foam tend to dry out your skin. Glad you enjoyed your first shave, I look forward to my daily shave, and certainly regard shaving as a great hobby.

Top Bottom