What's new

1st Aristocrat - No. 66?

I just won this on the Bay for EUR 100 shipped.
3D96C102-C723-42A9-AD86-2219070E2C5A.jpeg

So I hope it’s a rhodium plated No. 66? that will make a nice user.

I think Nortstonehill might be the most knowledgeable member on this site to help you determine what exactly you have. Those rhodium plated UK Aristocrats are beauties. Congratulations on your new razor!

Agree to what Dan said - the razor is a gorgeous 3rd generation Aristocrat. The #21 set should however formally contain a 2nd generation razor, according to mr-razor:

A6EA8F7C-FD2E-4FA4-BF4E-A34E32CF289F.png

Still - I have quite a few times seen #21 sets with 3rd gens so I could believe the jury is out on that one. I even acquired such a set myself actually.

But in this case (no pun intended) I am not 100% sure though that your case here is an Aristocrat case... It does look 95% identical except that the lid imprint does not say ‘Made in England’. All my Aristocrat cases have ‘Made in England’ on them, as does the #21 set pictured in mr-razor... This may instead be some kind of NEW case?

Nevertheless, the set is very nice and the razor is one of the best razors ever made. And at 100 EUR a very sound catch. Congrats!

R

romsitsa

Some No 21 cases lack the made in England imprint. Things get even stranger if you check the Australian brochure from 1949, no case is marked as made in England.
No 21-s mostly contain Gen 2, but there are the South American gold plated sets, all contain a Gen 3 in a No 21 style case.
On the other hand there is also a gold plated Gen 2 in No 19 case, so it's hard to say what really existed and what is a later addition.

Some No 21 cases lack the made in England imprint. Things get even stranger if you check the Australian brochure from 1949, no case is marked as made in England.
No 21-s mostly contain Gen 2, but there are the South American gold plated sets, all contain a Gen 3 in a No 21 style case.
On the other hand there is also a gold plated Gen 2 in No 19 case, so it's hard to say what really existed and what is a later addition.

Great new info to me on the lack of MiE imprint - thanks Adam!

I have to say that I have seen too many #21 cases with 3rd generation razors to think it is a coincidence. A bit like the Hybrid Techs in brown bakelites :001_rolle

And yes, I guess that 2nd gen in #19 case is something we all dream to find ... as I believe only 1 specimen has ever been spotted of these!

R

romsitsa

Great new info to me on the lack of MiE imprint - thanks Adam!

I have to say that I have seen too many #21 cases with 3rd generation razors to think it is a coincidence. A bit like the Hybrid Techs in brown bakelites :001_rolle

And yes, I guess that 2nd gen in #19 case is something we all dream to find ... as I believe only 1 specimen has ever been spotted of these!

I can be convinced Peter, but putting a high end razor into a low end case doesn't make any sense (from a business point of view) to me :)
My problem with No 21 cases with Gen 3 razors is that the core feature of the razor (blade dispenser) won't fit into the case.
So while not logical to me at all, it most likely was logical to someone at Gillette.

Top Bottom