What's new

In addition to 1984 being a great birth by the great George Orwell it is also the year of my birth. With my increasing interest in razor usage and collection I was wondering what DE models gillette was making in 1984. Can anyone tell me what was being made at this time and comment on the quality of this era. All of my razor are from the 40s-60s and I was wondering how cheap gillette got later on in their production.

Lest not forget MCMLXXXIV(1984), the critically acclaimed sixth album by the real Van Halen. Van Halen without David Lee Roth is simply not Van Halen.

I think Gillette was pumping out Atras at that time, but I'm hardly an expert.

Lest not forget MCMLXXXIV(1984), the critically acclaimed sixth album by the real Van Halen. Van Halen without David Lee Roth is simply not Van Halen.

I think Gillette was pumping out Atras at that time, but I'm hardly an expert.

Ookla, you speak the truth.. Ahhh.. *scissor kicks*

This is very interesting thread, I thought Gillette made SS (plastic) of course till at least the 80s... I swear remember Gramps having one..

In '84 Gillette was still producing the Black handle Superspeed and the LBH Superadjustable, but in limited numbers. By that era, the cartridges had been widely adopted and there was a relatively limited market for DE safety razors.

Within a couple of years Gillette would cease production of both of these.

edit: In the later years, Gillette did make some changes to economize in production, most notable is the 'diamond' pattern knurling of the handle, introduced in '80. The base and underside of the blade bed on the Superadjustable transitioned to a black plastic/nylon from metal, in '79 I believe. Gillette did maintain their excellent quality though, until production ended.

HTH.

-- John Gehman

In '84 Gillette was still producing the Black handle Superspeed and the LBH Superadjustable, but in limited numbers. By that era, the cartridges had been widely adopted and there was a relatively limited market for DE safety razors.

Within a couple of years Gillette would cease production of both of these.

edit: In the later years, Gillette did make some changes to economize in production, most notable is the 'diamond' pattern knurling of the handle, introduced in '80. The base and underside of the blade bed on the Superadjustable transitioned to a black plastic/nylon from metal, in '79 I believe. Gillette did maintain their excellent quality though, until production ended.

HTH.

-- John Gehman

Good info John. Do you happen to know what the date code of a 1984 razor would be?

And how about... 1975? like, may of 1975 specifically?

:)

Not to thread-hijack, but this is a good idea for a thread and I don't want to just start my own when this one's sitting here nice and pretty.

So what's the selection for that year?

Hey guys thanks alot. I was thinking about asking for a birth year razor from my wife but I didn't know what was available.

1984????? ...Dang, my oldest boy was already two by then.....
I guess my kids are right when they call me older than dirt....:lol:

And how about... 1975? like, may of 1975 specifically?

:)

Not to thread-hijack, but this is a good idea for a thread and I don't want to just start my own when this one's sitting here nice and pretty.

So what's the selection for that year?

That would be a V2 superspeed or super adjustable. I'm looking for those myself (April '75). Someone was selling a V2 Superspeed on here last week. I prefer the Super adjustable - I just laid my hands on a V1 Super which should be there to greet me when I get home this evening.

Top Bottom