What's new

1975 Black Beauty

If your'e interested. Here's a video on repainting numbers by the master himself. Capt. Murphy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxYsriOxjNA

Everyone has there own technique. Whatever works best for you.
Good luck.

Excellent Video, I only WISH I had the skills that Capt. Murphy has with tearing them down and restoring them. I did get it taken care of though as I do not have the tools to tear it down I am just restoring the outer cosmetics. The inside moves well enough to be confident that everything inside was taken care of by the CLR and the tiny drop of mineral oil I added to the adjustment dial and the TTO mechanism.

Here is the results for the numbers, I am very happy with how they came out with just a micro brush and some acrylic black gloss indoor/outdoor paint.

$75Gillete001.jpg
$75Gillete002.jpg
$75Gillete003.jpg
$75Gillete004.jpg
$75Gillete005.jpg

I think they came out pretty good Hopefully the masses concur:001_smile
Cheers;
Nate

Good job. Those numbers POP now!

Thank you very much, I am actually shocked that my hands were steady enough to do it without getting any at all into the knurling on the dial below the numbers. I really like the paint and it will get it's first test tonight when I shave to see if it can handle the shave soap and the wet environment of shaving.

Excellent Video, I only WISH I had the skills that Capt. Murphy has with tearing them down and restoring them. I did get it taken care of though as I do not have the tools to tear it down I am just restoring the outer cosmetics. The inside moves well enough to be confident that everything inside was taken care of by the CLR and the tiny drop of mineral oil I added to the adjustment dial and the TTO mechanism.

Here is the results for the numbers, I am very happy with how they came out with just a micro brush and some acrylic black gloss indoor/outdoor paint.

View attachment 581162
View attachment 581163
View attachment 581164
View attachment 581165
View attachment 581166

I think they came out pretty good Hopefully the masses concur:001_smile
Cheers;
Nate

Very nice!!! I'm gonna add some color with mine. Either blue or red lol. If I don't like it I can just run it through my ultrasonic and take the paint off lol

Very nice!!! I'm gonna add some color with mine. Either blue or red lol. If I don't like it I can just run it through my ultrasonic and take the paint off lol

I just had a great shave tonight with my short SA and Gillette silver blue with Palmolive stick!!

That sounds like an awesome idea, I just wish I had the skill to crack this bugger open and totally restore the internal mechanics. That is Capr Murphy's area of expertise though. One day I may have the guts to do it, but definitely not anytime soon until after I watch and learn from the Jedi Master of adjustable razor restoration Capt. Murphy :thumbup:

I am really looking forward to my shave tonight, then if the numbers hold up through the rinse cycle after my shave I will definitely be throwing a coat on the handle as well tomorrow after work so it has time to dry for a couple days. I will probably mask it tomorrow and then repaint and allow to dry then throw another coat on it. Once all the painting is done I am going to do a detailed polish of the head and really try and restore this thing to mint condition.

Whew, Finally got a day off so I could finish this Beauty off. Here is the final results of my Efforts on the 1975 Black Beauty. Completely cleaned, polished the shiny stuff and gave her a fresh coat of paint for the numbers and the handle.

$1975SuperAdjustable001.jpg$1975SuperAdjustable002.jpg$1975SuperAdjustable003.jpg$1975SuperAdjustable004.jpg$1975SuperAdjustable005.jpg

Hello Nate, your going to love that SA. What I did with my Short Handle Super Adjustable, was once it was soaked and disinfected, was oil it with a little Rem Oil. That's a firearms lubricant. I've heard of others use Mineral Oil such as 3 in 1 Oil. Or also light machine oil. I of the faction that uses oil on all my Adjustables. However there is a downside. If you apply more than a small drop or two, it can get on the numbers, and the paint there will come off. I would also like to point out that I don't have any SA's that have a plastic adjusting plate. But I've used the Rem Oil on both my SA, and my Slims. I even use it on most of my TTO's. I have had zero issues with it. Good luck my friend, and no matter what have fun with them, and enjoy the shaves!

Top Bottom