What's new

1963 Gillette Slim adjutable from eBay.... what I need to check?

Hello everyone.

New member here - it is amazing place that so much information about shavings.
I have been using the safety razor about 5~6 years ( I have been using the Merkur 34C HD, Rockwell 6c, Merkur futur. The daily razor is Rockwell 6C with plate 3 or 4)

I read lots of good things about Gillette slim adjustable and I pulled the trigger finally - Just win the 1963 Gillette slim adjustable from the eBay.

What I need to check when I receive it?
I plan to use hot water with dawn, brush it using the toothbrush for cleaning and Lysol spray for sanitization.

Any other tips or recommendation would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Clean it
Close the cap, is it smooth are the gaps even and level
See if the adjustment works and if it stays level
if thing do not smooth then thorough clean and dry and maybe some mineral oil in the shaft.
if it looks ok shave it

And I have a bend one which i still need to fix and it looked good on the bay. Smarter is it to get one via a bb member or someone you trust.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Lots of good tips - the easiest problem to fix is the commonly bent safety bar - if everything else seems to work give it an overnight in dawn + hottest water to loosen up any crud that has collected inside. Trust you'll enjoy shaving with a razor over a half century old!

Thank you for all the good tips. I received the slim and the condition is pretty good.
The safety bar looks straight and blade gap looks even on both side. Also 1/4 turn locking works fine.

I ended up following dawn with hot water cleaning path.

For the shaving, YES! it gives me smooth and nice shaving. I am amazed that such an old shaver can be this good!
This is what it looks like after the clean up - Looks pretty good.

slim.jpg

A good general cleaning with hot water and Dawn dish soap. A mild toothbrush will help get in some of the crevices and remove any crusty bits. I would avoid Lysol. A quick dip, spray or wipe with rubbing alcohol will be fine. Make sure the mechanics work, open, close, adjustable ring turns freely, and a good seal when you close on a blade. No need to struggle to get that 1/4 final turn with the tightening mechanism. Tighten until its snug. Don't force it further. If you can get the final 1/4 turn easily then that is fine. After you get it nice and clean let it dry really well and then add a couple of drops mineral oil in the center mechanism and doors.

I shaved with a Slim Adjustable for several years before discovering that additional 1/4 twist to tighten the handle a little more. The shave is now even more comfortable.

Top Bottom