What's new

1959 Fatboy - What a difference a click makes

I've been using my 1959 Fatboy for years, mostly on setting 8, which is almost the top of the aggressiveness scale. Over the past six months I had noticed that I was getting a lot of irritation while shaving, with any blade I used. So finally I decided to click it back one, to setting 7.

Eureka! A perfectly comfortable, BBS shave. I guess I forgot what the advantage was of an adjustable razor. You don't have to stay with just one setting.

I also have a 59 Fatboy (my birth year) and have been playing with the adjustment. Trying to find the sweet spot to cut efficiently while minimizing irritation. For me, it's between setting 4 or 5 for a daily shave, versus higher if I have multiple days growth.

I use a Slim mostly on setting 4, but also move it around depending how I feel. Love that adjustability of those old awesome Gillettes!

I revisited my Gillette fatboy and slim. I found the perma sharp blade at setting 5 was perfect BBS for me.

I've been using my 1959 Fatboy for years, mostly on setting 8, which is almost the top of the aggressiveness scale. Over the past six months I had noticed that I was getting a lot of irritation while shaving, with any blade I used. So finally I decided to click it back one, to setting 7.

Eureka! A perfectly comfortable, BBS shave. I guess I forgot what the advantage was of an adjustable razor. You don't have to stay with just one setting.
And neither does one have to shave on the highest setting. Adjustability is customizing the razor to one's unique face and whiskers, not about shaving "wide open" at the maximum setting as many are inclined to do.

I'm just here for more clicks. :) I usually keep all my "clickable" razors set on 3-5. One venture to 9 was all I needed to tell me I don't like 9.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I also moved down to a 7 earlier this year for some forgotten reason - that setting seems to work pretty well, perhaps not quite as close but smoother.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like 7 most of the time and click it to 8 for pickups some times. I have a E4 Fatboy and like using it.
Here is some information that came from a salesman for Gillette I believe for those Gillette slim and Fatboy owner Fans.
(Click picture to enlarge)
Fatboy chart for exposurre (2).jpg
Still003 Gillette slim set at 9 on dial=.007 to .008 inches.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Lately I have been at 8 for the first 2 passes, then to 4 for ATG on the upper lip and neck. BBS and irritation free.

A little bit late to this thread, but I just happened to come across it.
I have a newly acquired E2 1959 FatBoy, and just enjoyed my first shave with this beauty.
First pass WTG and second pass XTG --- both on level 7. A finishing third ATG pass on level 5.
A very similar feel to my A2 1955 Birth Year Super Speed Red Tip. Ahhhhh ! Life is good !
Both razors with my favorite blade ----- the Gillette Nacet.
An incredibly smooth delightful BBS result with absolutely no irritation or weepers. Sublime shaving indeed !

C8530C6D-4E4D-4E4E-9973-81C6573D1834.jpeg

I like 7 most of the time and click it to 8 for pickups some times. I have a E4 Fatboy and like using it.
Here is some information that came from a salesman for Gillette I believe for those Gillette slim and Fatboy owner Fans.
(Click picture to enlarge)
View attachment 1375662 View attachment 1375663
Have some great shaves!
I am late as well. @Ron R, am I correct in thinking that at a lower setting, the blade tray is closer to the top and this makes the angle indicated by the line in your diagram shallower, as well as having less exposure?

Great chart and diagram!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I am late as well. @Ron R, am I correct in thinking that at a lower setting, the blade tray is closer to the top and this makes the angle indicated by the line in your diagram shallower, as well as having less exposure?

Great chart and diagram!
Yes I believe you have figured it out, less gap creates less blade exposure(blade feel) and would change the angle of best approach when shaving. I have never measured the angle because every one has different techniques. I would think the engineers at Gillette figured by pencil and paper and then just did some real testing with employees to confirm their findings. Gillette still tests new products with employees in their inhouse test facilities .
Gillette testing new models.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom