What's new

1958 TV Special?

I recently bought a flare tip Super Speed from my birth quarter, 1958 D1, on ebay. Though nothing in the description said so, from my research it appears to be a variety known as the "TV special", as advertised on Gillette's "Cavalcade of Sports". Almost in perfect shape, but it hasn't been polished, which would really make it shine. I'll probably just leave it like it is. I assume this is a "good find", or at least I have no cause for complaint about the ebay seller, right? It was only $19.95, and it looks nice to me.
20180409_210602.jpg

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
That’s a beauty! Congrats on finding a birth year/quarter razor. I still don’t have an L1. Enjoy your shaves!

I recently bought a flare tip Super Speed from my birth quarter, 1958 D1, on ebay. Though nothing in the description said so, from my research it appears to be a variety known as the "TV special", as advertised on Gillette's "Cavalcade of Sports". Almost in perfect shape, but it hasn't been polished, which would really make it shine. I'll probably just leave it like it is. I assume this is a "good find", or at least I have no cause for complaint about the ebay seller, right? It was only $19.95, and it looks nice to me.
View attachment 874493

Congrats! Very nice TV Special. Yes, that is a good find.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I like the knurling on the TV Special flare tip, it's more like the Aristocrat.

Congrats.

That’s a beauty! Congrats on finding a birth year/quarter razor. I still don’t have an L1. Enjoy your shaves!
Well, they aren't too hard to find. Maybe you saw my thread about the L1 Tech traveler I bought at an antique shop because of the story behind it. And I am enjoying my shaves, I hope you are too.

Hannah's Dad

I did see that. I have enough Techs. I’m holding out for an L1 Superspeed. I’ll find one eventually.

Great catch. I'm torn between trying to get one of those or an earlier one with the less rattley TTO mechanism. It really stands out.

Great catch, the handle is so great looking. And for that price you got a superb shaver for a great price. I have the regular FT and the Blue Tip - and it’s cousin the Rocket TV Special - and they are all perfect shavers. Enjoy.

I just got one of those in the mail yesterday. Couldn't pass it up for $7.50. Cleaned and sanitized it, and will probably take it for a spin later this week. Yours looks to be in a little better shape than mine. Excellent find!

Great catch. I'm torn between trying to get one of those or an earlier one with the less rattley TTO mechanism. It really stands out.
I shaved with it this morning, very solid, no rattles, excellent, smooth shave. I can see why these were the standard, at least in the US, for so long. But maybe the older ones are even better, good luck finding the right one for you.

Hannah's Dad

I was thinking I had an L-1 for sale, but it's actually an L-2. I'll keep an eye out.
Well, as it turns out, I found one on etsy! Should be shaving with it by the weekend. Thanks for thinking of me, though!

Attachments

• 00E7A1A2-333A-4BE0-A4E6-5B982D7A949D.jpeg
    00E7A1A2-333A-4BE0-A4E6-5B982D7A949D.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 13
I just got one of those in the mail yesterday. Couldn't pass it up for $7.50. Cleaned and sanitized it, and will probably take it for a spin later this week. Yours looks to be in a little better shape than mine. Excellent find!
Yes, I paid a little more to get one that's (almost) like new and my exact birth quarter. Yours might look just as good with a little tlc, though. Either way, this is hardly the financial investment of collecting vintage sports cars. ;)

Great catch, the handle is so great looking. And for that price you got a superb shaver for a great price. I have the regular FT and the Blue Tip - and it’s cousin the Rocket TV Special - and they are all perfect shavers. Enjoy.

Nice. I've heard that the Rocket TV Special with the Rhodium handle is less common than the US version especially if you have the case.

Top Bottom