What's new

1956 Serial Toggle Nickel Plated

Hi CAP! Thanks for agreeing to work on my serial toggle for me. As far as you working on all different models of adjustable I think you are missing this one.

View attachment 544791

I have one of this type that I may send to you. :001_smile
Aye, thanks Glenn and you are welcome! :lol: you mean there is ANOTHER prototype out there?:facep: This one is completely different too! Exterior indicator spring, a bottom dial style adjuster knob but on the top of the razor and it looks like the same basic construction of your NDC 1-5. Very interesting...

I was up until about 0400 this morning studying these:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422742065.127776.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422742081.412976.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422742089.301115.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422742097.838533.jpg
And reading this:

I appreciate your dedication to your craft. That is why I can send you rare razors with out hesitation. I know only the best care will be taken. Sorry you had to do all the homework. I don't want to make your head explode but doing all this just makes your legend grow. You are the man!

Glen, another congrats is in order, so CONGRATULATIONS! Great find, Cap will give it his Fountain of Youth treatment and it will look spiffy for sure!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Capt, I didn't realize all the prototypes had their drawings public.

Those are patent drawings. All issued U.S. patents are published. These days, just about all patent applications also are published. You can find them around the internet, but the main source is the USPTO website.

Those are patent drawings. All issued U.S. patents are published. These days, just about all patent applications also are published. You can find them around the internet, but the main source is the USPTO website.
I hadn't realized that even prototypes were patented.

I appreciate your dedication to your craft. That is why I can send you rare razors with out hesitation. I know only the best care will be taken. Sorry you had to do all the homework. I don't want to make your head explode but doing all this just makes your legend grow. You are the man!

Well thank you for the great deal of trust, Glenn. If I face something that I cannot accomplish or do not feel comfortable doing, I simply will not do it, especially with a serialized prototype of this value:wink:

The homework is very enjoyable for me, I like to read it over and over and study the drawings until my eyeballs hurt so I know what I'm getting myself into! For the most part, the bulk of the complexities with this design seem to reside in the middle section. I believe this one has the three toggle actions, correct? Open position, rinse position, and closed position?

Well thank you for the great deal of trust, Glenn. If I face something that I cannot accomplish or do not feel comfortable doing, I simply will not do it, especially with a serialized prototype of this value:wink:

The homework is very enjoyable for me, I like to read it over and over and study the drawings until my eyeballs hurt so I know what I'm getting myself into! For the most part, the bulk of the complexities with this design seem to reside in the middle section. I believe this one has the three toggle actions, correct? Open position, rinse position, and closed position?

On the serial toggle: Lever to one side is open. Lever pointed down closed (of course). Lever to opposite side is rinse.
On the normal toggle: Lever to either side half way is rinse, down is closed, lever full way either side is open.

Hope that makes sense. :blush:

On the serial toggle: Lever to one side is open. Lever pointed down closed (of course). Lever to opposite side is rinse.
On the normal toggle: Lever to either side half way is rinse, down is closed, lever full way either side is open.

Hope that makes sense. :blush:
The slots in the toggle lever are not of equal length. As seen in figure No.8 of the patent drawings, this allows more movement with open doors in one direction (fig. 3) and less movement of the toggle lever in the other with the door pressure released from the blade, but still holding the blade loosely for a thorough rinse (fig. 2).

Last edited:
There should be a red dot on the toggle lever. It was worn off when I got the razor. CAP can remedy if it can be restored.
I think he's talking about the red tip razor that was in the lot with the toggle. In all the toggle excitement did you forget that it came with other razors?

I think he's talking about the red tip razor that was in the lot with the toggle. In all the toggle excitement did you forget that it came with other razors?

Those other razors are still unwrapped and in the original shipping box. I already have a cherry red tip and fatboy so I don't really have a need for these others in the lot. I was thinking of relisting them on ebay. But I'm in no rush to get rid of them.

Those other razors are still unwrapped and in the original shipping box. I already have a cherry red tip and fatboy so I don't really have a need for these others in the lot. I was thinking of relisting them on ebay. But I'm in no rush to get rid of them.
Good idea. At least try and make some of your money back eh.

Good idea. At least try and make some of your money back eh.

The big catch is the toggle of course. I'm just focusing my good luck mojo into it; hoping everything works to plan without any hiccups. Can it be repaired? Is it really a "from-the-factory" nickel plated serial toggle? I'm on the edge of my seat. Lol.

Great Thread again on Toggles. I see the Serial toggle will be in great hands with the captain. Great blueprint drawings of the serial toggle. I looked them over in detail and compared them to the more common d-1 and f-4 toggle. This serial toggle has more going on from what i can see and have been told the tolerances and operation is way different than later toggles. Cool to see the drawings though. As far as it being Nickle or gold. I saw one like this and in a similar shape many years back and even though the surface looked like it was aged and corroded Nickle but when he moved the toggle lever as far as it could go in one direction, it showed spots of worn gold above the lever on part # 94. I know when the captain takes it apart he will be able to tell pretty quick. Who knows but this will get interesting and great to watch the dis assembly.

Top Bottom