RAZOR NAME: Flare Tip Super Speed

COST: That Depends! $15 -$75

SPECS:
Handle Length- 3" (knurled Design)
Overall Length- 3 3/8" or there about
Material- Nickel Finished Brass
Country of Manufacture- USA

ABOUT-
In 1954, Elvis recorded his first song, a home purchase would cost you around $1970.00, and Gillette began manufacturing its Super Speed Series razor (1954 thru 1966). In this post Korean War era, double edge wet shaving was in full stride, as was our fear of the USSR taking over the world with atomic fallout.

From 1955 to 1960, Gillette also began offing the Super Speed Flare Tip in a "Red Tip" version for a more aggressive shave, or a "Blue Tip" version for a more mild shave. The latter was reported to be popular with the ladies.

THE GOOD, THE BAD, & THE UGLY:

GOOD-
I discovered this little rascal by chance one day while nosing around an antique store in Smallsville Texas. The price was $18.00. I decided to take a gamble on this old shave soap laden charmer with a weird mild greenish residue on the handle.
Not expecting great results, a soaking in a solution of Simple Green, with a quick nylon brush scrubbing began to show otherwise. Now in a bit of excited anticipation, and a second soaking & scrub gave way to results I hadn't anticipated. My new/used purchase was void of weird green stuff, had a nice shine, and was shave ready!

Under microscopic review, I could now read my purchase was stamped "A 2".
This indicated the razor was manufactured in 1955, in the second quarter of the year, coinciding with Chinese Year of the Goat for what that's worth.

I assumed it hadn't seen use in quite a few years, and I had no idea how it would perform. Depending on what happened next would determine its fate of becoming a shelved show piece, or earn a spot in the beloved razor rotation. The results were sweet nostalgia in razor form, with a buttery smooth shave! I was in awe at the ease of which this Super Speed sped, without irritation and nick-free.

Still to this day, I have not suffered as much as a simple scratch from this lamb of a razor. Something I cannot say about my other razors, which have caused an occasional wince, followed by the dab of a styptic pencil.

I can conclude that there were many things right in the world circa 1955, including the making of this razor, and perhaps Elvis, who I imagine was a heavy bearded kind of guy judging from his side burns. He too, may have been a fan of the Super Speed, perhaps even inspiring the words to Love Me Tender!

BAD-
1966 was the last production year for the Super Speeds, thus making it a tiny bit difficult to get your hands on one today. They can be found on the likes of Etsy, EBay, and other websites with out too much effort, but buying through pictures is always slightly risky.
If you're one who likes an aggressive shave, you may want to stay away from the basic Super Speed, limiting yourself to searching out a "Red Tip". This one definitely falls in the gentle category.

UGLY-
I find nothing ugly about the Super Speed beyond that of the condition I found mine in at the time of purchase. Quick clean up took care of that soapy old-timey grime, so I've got nothing more here.

Would I buy it again? Well, I kind of did! This first one went to my father-in-law to use. After a few weeks of separation I missed it so much, I found another one on Esty. It turned out to be a "Z 2", the Year of the Horse! Ride on my friends!
Great review. I was surprised to discover the Super Speed was so good, but really, how could it have been so popular for so long if it wasn't?

CFF158E0-9CF1-4205-B07C-6C2D0FDC710D.jpeg
My 54 Ss Flaretip. Purchased from a kind member on here along with its black handled cousin.
Off to shave with it right now. Will be my second shave with her

I apologize for bringing up an old thread, but I just stumbled across this in my research. I have just gotten into wet shaving and decided to try a vintage Gillette Super Speed out. I found one on eBay for $15 that seems to be in pretty decent shape. As best I can tell, it is a 1955 model, correct? The date code on the bottom is A1. Also, what is the Flaretip version mentioned above?Screenshot_20200201-020337_eBay.jpg

I apologize for bringing up an old thread, but I just stumbled across this in my research. I have just gotten into wet shaving and decided to try a vintage Gillette Super Speed out. I found one on eBay for $15 that seems to be in pretty decent shape. As best I can tell, it is a 1955 model, correct? The date code on the bottom is A1. Also, what is the Flaretip version mentioned above?View attachment 1058369

Yes, A1 would be the first quarter of 55. Nice find.

As best I can tell, it is a 1955 model, correct? The date code on the bottom is A1. Also, what is the Flaretip version mentioned above?

Greasegizzard--
Your '55 is a (Super Speed) Flare Tip.
1954 Z1 and earlier Super Speeds (and Z3 & Z4 TV Specials) had a straight handle, rather than the flare you see at the tip of your handle.
SuperSpeed.jpeg

IMG-20200128-WA0002.jpg

A-1
C-2 blue
P black

Interestingly the black one shaves the best (for me). I also have Red tips and they are OK...for me not different than the black.
Finally have some England made razors and those do not shave better than the US, they are smoother to turn and open.
I got these 3 in a Lot, and they were the best in it...and not the reason I bought them. They were filthy.... even with a rusted blade in 2....
Cheers

Thank y'all for the replies. I was fairly certain it was a 55 from my research but I saw the A started again in 1980 and wasn't sure what those looked like. For $15 I didn't figure I could go wrong. As long as it works at least.

I'm excited to get it in and cleaned up and try it out. I need to get some blades ordered, too. I didn't do any research when I decided to try all this out and just picked up a razor at Wal-Mart. lol Feather and Astra seem to be the popular ones.
Yes, A1 would be the first quarter of 55. Nice find.
Greasegizzard--
Your '55 is a (Super Speed) Flare Tip.
1954 Z1 and earlier Super Speeds (and Z3 & Z4 TV Specials) had a straight handle, rather than the flare you see at the tip of your handle.
View attachment 1058474
Actually, the 1954 Z1 quarter had Gillette pumping out both flare tips and 40's style Super Speeds in the new red box.

Congrats on the vintage and welcome to B&B @greasegizzard !

Actually, the 1954 Z1 quarter had Gillette pumping out both flare tips and 40's style Super Speeds in the new red box.

Thanks for the clarification, nemo; I learned something new today.
I recently gave my brother a birth quarter Z1 40's style. Now, I need to be on the look-out for a Z1 Flare Tip for him.
:a29:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Here is a question for the experts. This is my flare tip which I would describe as an English Flare Tip Rocket. Is that the correct description and is there any way to accurately date this razor? It is a medium shaver and the TTO mechanism is superbly smooth and solid feeling. Thanks.

20200202_103602.jpg20200202_103620.jpg20200202_103502.jpg

Hey I thought I’d resurrect this thread because in my razor storage box I realized one of my Super Speeds is a 1955 model. I’ve never used it if I can recall correctly but it’s in good shape. I will clean it up a little and give it try.... The date code letter is A so I figure it’s from ‘55. I hope it shaves okay!

I have Super Speeds from 47 - 81. I have always liked them. I find the ones from the 80s are not built as well and don't feel as smooth. I have a 54 flair tip that I really like. I also have a flair tip rocket. The rocket definitely feels smoother opening and closing. I find the rocket shaves much like the 54 US flair tip. I also have some Weishi 9306 razors. Build quality is not at the same level but for a cheap clone they work well for me and make great travel razors.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Did Gillette really ramp up production in '55? I think I've seen more '55 Flare Tips than any other year. The first Super Speed I ever bought was a '55. That was replaced by an heirloom razor I got for my birthday, also a '55 (it belonged to my grandfather, who gave it to my grandmother when he got a new razor). My Blue Tip is also a '55. I've always been just a little disappointed that my Red Tip is a '56.

Yeah I’ve also got a ‘57 Red Tip.
It’s a fine razor, nice and with a little aggression to it. Good for a 3 day stubble.!!

Top Bottom