What's new

1953 Y1 Super Speed - w/ Steel Base Plate - questions

I've got a noob question. I just got back into using double edge razors, and I picked up a couple of '50s/'60s Gillettes on Ebay recently – the first was a used Y1 Super Speed, with an intact but scuffed case, which I won for $15 + shipping. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it likely had not been used very much, as there's no visible wear or dings, and the plating has only a little oxidation from age.

So after reading about the variants of Super Speeds here, and that some/most of the '51-'52 black tips had steel parts that might have still been used in later production, I decided to check out my 'new' razor with a magnet to see if it was all brass – and it turns out the base plate is magnetic. I assume that means it is made of nickle-plated, presumably carbon(?) steel.

So my questions are: 1) How much do I have to worry about rust forming on the steel part, and 2) is there anything specific I can do to prevent it?

I do partially open up the razor, rinse it, and shake out the water after use, then let it dry upright, in an attempt to remove most of the moisture trapped inside.

Any advice, or additional information would be appreciated!

Here's a snapshot after I cleaned up the case and razor, and mildly buffed out the scuffed lid with a little Plast-X. It also had one used and 4 new blue blades pushed around inside the holder, which are also dated Y1.
IMG_20190124_230330.jpg

These razors have stood the test of time of being used and abused. I would not worry about rust, but shaving lather and crud. I rinse mine in hot water after each shave, keep the doors open, and let air dry in a test tube holder until I return from work.

That looks like a nice 40's Super Speed. A magnet shouldn't stick to anything but the blade. Brass with a nice Nickel plating. Like @Twelvefret, I let my razors dry upright. I began with a test-tube rack, but later moved to a pipe rack.
Rinse, let dry, and use tomorrow. It's as simple as that.
76D3AFE3-7F5B-4F1A-9699-C4D262ECB77A.jpeg

Lol. I used them before I was PIF’d the Shaving Buddy App, which I absolutely love. I just never took the dice away.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
You shouldn't have any problems using it normally unless the plating is compromised. It will be a good idea to open it and let it dry quickly and not to leave it in a moist environment.

A magnet shouldn't stick to anything but the blade. Brass with a nice Nickel plating.

Not so fast there, actually there were plenty of steel base plate 40's style Super Speeds made during the X and Y dates ending in the second quarter of 1953 according to my collection.

You shouldn't have any problems using it normally unless the plating is compromised. It will be a good idea to open it and let it dry quickly and not to leave it in a moist environment.

Not so fast there, actually there were plenty of steel base plate 40's style Super Speeds made during the X and Y dates ending in the second quarter of 1953 according to my collection.
There is something trying to tug on my '47.

Yes, it most definitely has a steel base plate, as a magnet sticks to the base, but only the base, with no blade in the razor - and of course, Y1= Q1/'53.

So I take it the consensus is that these Super Speeds with steel parts aren't usually going to rust easily with normal use, but that I shouldn't push my luck, and should take care to dry it out each time. (?)

That's good information!! Will this apply to Milords too? What about other TTO's made during this time?

That's good information!! Will this apply to Milords too? What about other TTO's made during this time?

Skimming through that Super Speed history thread was where I got the idea to check mine for steel parts. :)

As I understand it from reading there, there was a strategic brass shortage in 1951-'52 because of Korean War demand for artillery shells, so Gillette subbed a variety of steel, aluminum, and plastic parts for its 'Black Tip' SS production - most commonly the handles were plated steel or aluminum, and the black tips plastic, but sometimes various head parts were plated steel also. That's how some remaining steel parts made it into 1953 production.

So to summarize the unknowns:
Nemo's comment anecdotally confirms that the steel base plates were apparently commonly used up through Y2 (Q2 '53), at least for Super Speeds. So as REV579 asks, is this true for any other models are well?

My main question remains: What sort of personal experience have other people had with these Gillettes with plated steel parts? I'm hoping they don't rust that easily, since I bought mine to actually use it.

Thanks to everyone for their help! Manufacturing history is often just fascinating.

Top Bottom