What's new

1951 Winchester Model 70 30-06 standard grade (and a hunt story w/ pics)

Hey fellas,

I thought I'd share a few photos of my favorite hunting rifle, a 1951 Winchester Model 70 30-06 standard grade. It was bedded by a real pro and has a recoil pad, so its more of a shooter grade rifle than a collector. The thing is, the action is SLICK and the rifle shoots everything well. It's the most non-finicky rifle I've had. And it DRILLS with Barnes 150 gr TTSX. I have it scoped with a Zeiss HD5 3.5-15x42, RapidZ 600 reticle.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I took it on a hunt in WY a few years back.

We arrived just after a big snowstorm, and heard another storm was due to hit later on in the week. We had antelope and deer tags, and hoped a few days of warm weather would melt the snow off.

proxy.php

proxy.php

A buddy and I knocked down 4 antelope does (2 each) on a BLM oilfield the first day out. We saw them at 300 yards, took 2 and the herd, confused at where the shots came from, ran right towards us. We took another 2 at 150 yards.

proxy.php

proxy.php

55 degree weather started to melt that snow off. Mud was everywhere.

proxy.php

proxy.php

We decided to change tactics and hunt private land at a lower elevation, along a riverbank. It was lush and teeming with wildlife... antelope, whitetails and mule deer.

proxy.php

See the antelope along the fence-line...?

proxy.php

My friend shot a real nice buck at 300 yards at twilight, near a marshy area. Hell of a shot!!

proxy.php

The next day I hunted the same marshy area, and got a nice (smaller) whitetail at 295 yards with a Tikka T3 Lite .243 Win using 95 grain Fusions. There were 6 does nearby that scattered, then settled down. I took a mule deer doe at 185 years, and field dressed both just in time for a cold brew and beautiful sunset.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Eric

Last edited:
Pre 64 Model 70 in 30-06 is what all others are judged against.

They just don't make them like that anymore.

Nice pics of your hunt too.

Thanks for posting.

The next day I went pronghorn hunting with a BRNO 602 375 H&H. Definitely overkill, but I wanted to hunt the rifle. The result is kind of gruesome, but if you guys want to see a photo let me know.

Eric

Pre 64 Model 70 in 30-06 is what all others are judged against.

They just don't make them like that anymore.

Nice pics of your hunt too.

Thanks for posting.
Thanks Turtle, I agree. It's the quintessential hunting rifle. The "Rifleman's Rifle" if you will. :thumbup:

Thanks Turtle, I agree. It's the quintessential hunting rifle. The "Rifleman's Rifle" if you will. :thumbup:

They are sweet.

I have a Griffin and Howe custom Winchester model 70 (pre 64). It is not one that gets out much as the places I hunt are all heavy wooded and brushy so I mostly take a drilling or cape gun. Only once have I taken a shot longer than 50 yards (yea I could hit em with a rock most times). The closest shot was under 50 feet. I had no choice as two were walking right at me and if I let them get closer they might have spooked and run me over. It was the only time I've heard deer talking to each other (both were grunting and muttering as they walked together). They were that close. Took them both with the shot gun barrels of the drilling. I didn't want to but I had little choice as I was on the path they were taking and I have little trust in wild animals up close. Typically I only take 2 deer. One early in the season the second late in the season. The rest I just enjoy watching. I learned that if I take two early in the season the wife says "well you have your two so you don't need to go any more".... So magically I can't seem to get that second one until late in the season :001_smile

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have my Dad's post (just barely) '64 Model 70 in .270 Winchester. Don't have near the quality of optics on it that you have but still a nice rifle.

That looks like some excellent hunts you went on.

It looks a lot like mine, a 1963 model featherweight with a 4x Leupold of the same era in a Weaver pivot mount. It's probably my most accurate centerfire.

They are sweet.

I have a Griffin and Howe custom Winchester model 70 (pre 64). It is not one that gets out much as the places I hunt are all heavy wooded and brushy so I mostly take a drilling or cape gun. Only once have I taken a shot longer than 50 yards (yea I could hit em with a rock most times). The closest shot was under 50 feet. I had no choice as two were walking right at me and if I let them get closer they might have spooked and run me over. It was the only time I've heard deer talking to each other (both were grunting and muttering as they walked together). They were that close. Took them both with the shot gun barrels of the drilling. I didn't want to but I had little choice as I was on the path they were taking and I have little trust in wild animals up close. Typically I only take 2 deer. One early in the season the second late in the season. The rest I just enjoy watching. I learned that if I take two early in the season the wife says "well you have your two so you don't need to go any more".... So magically I can't seem to get that second one until late in the season :001_smile

VERY crafty with the second deer! Good thinking!! LoL :thumbup:

I've only hunted out west (and in Africa), so anything close to 100 yards is a godsend. More typically, it's 200-400.

I'd love to see some pics of your Griffin and Howe custom Win M70. What caliber is it?

Eric

I'd love to see some pics of your Griffin and Howe custom Win M70. What caliber is it?

We should start a "Show me your Winchesters" thread. :thumbup1:

It is 30-06

I'll see if I can get a few pics of it. Large cheek piece and a hand pummel along with the typical G&H checkering you need a magnifying glass to see :001_smile No engraving and no gold.

Thanks, James!

Turtle, it sounds like a real classy rifle! I love the old G&Hs.

Eric

I'm drawn to old guns and classic cartridges in the same way I prefer old safety razors to what I'm sure are perfectly nice new-made ones. Old rifles and shotguns have a history and a story to tell, and they can still get it done just fine. As Toby Keith says, "I'm as good once as I ever was." Moreover, Winchester is to guns what Gillette is to razors. I came late to the wet-shaving party, and likewise didn't get around to deer hunting until middle age. I took my first deer with a Winchester Model 86 Takedown Lightweight (built in 1921) in .45-70 (introduced in 1873), and my second deer with my father's Winchester Model 70 Featherweight (1955) in .30-06 (1906). The deer were quite dead and very tasty.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
This thread got me thinking about the classic days of gunwriting ... next thing, two of Jack O'Connor books are on their way. :thumbup1:

Yet another rabbit hole.

Hm, wish they'd reprint Skeeter Skelton's books. They are $,$$$ when found.

AA

I'm drawn to old guns and classic cartridges in the same way I prefer old safety razors to what I'm sure are perfectly nice new-made ones. Old rifles and shotguns have a history and a story to tell, and they can still get it done just fine. As Toby Keith says, "I'm as good once as I ever was." Moreover, Winchester is to guns what Gillette is to razors. I came late to the wet-shaving party, and likewise didn't get around to deer hunting until middle age. I took my first deer with a Winchester Model 86 Takedown Lightweight (built in 1921) in .45-70 (introduced in 1873), and my second deer with my father's Winchester Model 70 Featherweight (1955) in .30-06 (1906). The deer were quite dead and very tasty.
Very well put. Are you also into classic cars like I am? :thumbup1:

I took my first big game animal with a 1955 Winchester M70 Super Grade National Match in 30-06. That rifle had great wood.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
This thread got me thinking about the classic days of gunwriting ... next thing, two of Jack O'Connor books are on their way. :thumbup1:

Yet another rabbit hole.

Hm, wish they'd reprint Skeeter Skelton's books. They are $,$$$ when found.

AA

Let's not forget Ruark, Capstick, Boddington, etc.

Never read any of Skeeter's books, but his Hipshots columns were a must read.

We should start a "Show me your Winchesters" thread. :thumbup1:

Dad's Model 70 in .270 Winchester circa 1972, along with his old beat up, workhorse of a Remington Model 721 in .30-06 manufactured in September, 1951 with a Weaver 4X scope.

Attachments

• $IMG_0007.jpg
    $IMG_0007.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 41
Top Bottom