What's new

1950 super speed

picked one up from ebay for 18 $ shipping +2.5 shipping,

man ,,,i got the most incredible shave,, i used a GSB that had 2 shaves on it. I used old spice shaving cream, the 1950 ss just glides ,,,this beats my r89, fat tech, 64 slim and 66 ss, by a long shot,,, gonna buy another one.

Shhhhh.... Now the secret's out again...

Get a 48-50 Aristocrat, same head with a bigger, heavier handle.

Congrats, no date code TTO'S are the best!

Rabidus has held the secret long enough- in fact, I shaved with my 1947 transitional Super Speed last night. My X4 1940's Style Super Speed has a steel handle and head
Gillette 1952 X4 1940's Style Super Speed Steel Handle and Head  .JPG
from left-over Korean War period stock, and has a similar heft as my Red Tip Super Speed, but without the handle thickness of course. Enjoy your razor Genuinestyle! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
How do you know it's a 1950? I would love to know how to dates 1948, 49 and 50 Superspeeds. I have a bunch with no date code.

On another note, just got my first 1947 Super Speed and can't wait to get it cleaned up and shave with it.

How do you know it's a 1950? I would love to know how to dates 1948, 49 and 50 Superspeeds. I have a bunch with no date code.

On another note, just got my first 1947 Super Speed and can't wait to get it cleaned up and shave with it.
I believe the way handle is crimped to the baseplate determines the year. In 1950 the crimp changed. 48 and 49, the crimp is flat and wide. In 50, the crimp changed.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I believe the way handle is crimped to the baseplate determines the year. In 1950 the crimp changed. 48 and 49, the crimp is flat and wide. In 50, the crimp changed.

Anyone have any photos or documentation on this? As Ive said, I have a bunch of NDC SS and would love to date them a little more accurately. Thanks.

The 2 I just recently acquired are a little newer. I used the silver handle and I like it so far. Can't wait to try the black handle

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right. Those are SuperSpeed Flare tips. They replaced the 40's style SS (the all chrome first, then the black handled one.)

Gillette 1947 Super Speed Razor Blade Bed Detail.JPG Gillette 1947 Super Speed Razor Box Contents Complete.JPG Gillette Early 1947 Super Speed with Ranger Tech Blade Tray and Non-Stepped Guide bar.JPG Speed Pak Blade Dispenser Catalin, Graphics Detail and Finger Sliding Window.JPG Gillette 1947 Super Speed Box Graphics Inside Lid Details Close View.JPG Gillette 1947 Super Speed Razor Advert.jpg Brad; You had requested in a post above how to tell the difference between the no date coded early 1940's style Super Speed razors from 1947-1949. The 1947 is the transitional razor from the 1941 and 1946 Post War Ranger Tech and uses the more rounded blade bed of the Ranger Tech, as it slopes down gradually from the base of the bed to the safety guide bar on either side of the head. Gillette used a flat rivet to attach the head to the handle, which would transition to a rolled or peened edge rivet at the very last of the 1949 production, which is altogether present throughout 1950 and the preceding flat rivet being discontinued. For instance, my 1949 was one of the latter of that year's Super Speeds and features a rolled, rather than flat rivet head at the opening where the center TTO rod meets the safety load bar. The bottom of the guard plate is stamped MADE IN U.S.A and has a Gillette diamond logo featured as well. A large and a small strike stamp were present in 1947. Mine has large strike stampings from the die. The center blade bed cavity has a stamping that reads PAT NOS. ON PACKAGE. A stepped ferrule may be present as a carry-over from the previous Ranger Tech design. Although Gillette had recently introduced their revolutionary Speed Pak dispenser, the center blade loading bar would not feature notches on either end which made removing the razor blade from the dispenser and loading it onto the blade bed a hand-free operation. Instead, the center load bar on each end is tee-shaped to positively center the razor blade on the blade bed. Overall, the build quality of the razor is not the same as the later 1948 and 1949 Super Speeds, and was being actively addressed then by Joseph Juran's team of quality control experts hired by Gillette to correct the problems that had overcome the razor blade and razor assembly lines, costing the company dearly in defective razor blades and in the rejection of large numbers of razor parts. More to follow. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Brad; I would like continue my discussion on how to tell the difference in the no date coded 1940's style Super Speed razors. This installment will focus on the 1948 and 1949 Super Speeds, and how they may differ from the early 1950 version of this razor up to the appearance of the V3 date code in the third production quarter of 1953. In 1948, the center blade loading bar obtained a notch on each end of the bar. This was specifically designed for safely loading a Gillette Blue Blade from their newly introduced Speed Pak razor blade dispenser which appeared with the introduction of the Super Speed line in 1947. By using the notched end of the center loading bar to secure the corresponding center razor blade opening on a razor blade that was partially exposed from the end of the Speed Pak dispenser that the arrow printed on the top razor blade indicates- one could quickly load his Super Speed razor with precision and safety not apparent when using the earlier 1947 model. This is the primary difference between the 1947 and 1948 Super Speeds. However, the blade bed also obtained the abrupt sloping downward edge design that would follow as an element for all of the early Super Speeds. The bottom of the guard plate is stamped MADE IN U.S.A. and has a Gillette diamond logo as did the 1947 model. These were made using a small strike die stamp, and this smaller stamping would follow for the remaining years of early Super Speed production. The center blade bed cavity also has a stamping that reads PAT NOS. ON PACKAGE. This stamping would remain through the 1949 model year, and in 1950, it would be shortened to PAT NOS. ON PKG. I had mentioned in the earlier posting that from 1947 to near the end of production in 1949, that the rivet would be flat that attached the head to the handle. However, a rolled rivet did appear on the last razors made in 1949, as PAT NOS. ON PACKAGE still appears on the center blade bed cavity. The rolled rivet would continue into 1950, but the stamping would appear as PAT NOS. ON PKG. until the V3 date code. Therefore, razors produced until the tail of production in 1949 are indistinguishable from the earlier 1948 Super Speeds- both had a flat head attachment rivet and the stamping PAT NOS. ON PACKAGE. 1948 Super Speeds would be cased in a foil embossed display box, and lid graphics would illustrate the use of the loading bar notch. A red styrene case with a clear lid would appear in 1949, but the dispenser holder at the rear of the case would be shallow for the tan 10 blade, Blue Blade dispenser that was sold with the razor. In 1950, the outside of the case would be notched to correspond with the red wire display rack from which the Super Speed was sold. The dispenser holder would be taller to accommodate the new and thicker 20 blade, Blue Blade dispenser with a used blade bank on the underside. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Gillette 1948 Super Speed Razor Lid Graphics Interior Instructions.JPG
Gillette 1947 and 1948 Super Speed Razor Display Boxes Lid Top View.JPG
Gillette Two Page 1948 Super Speed Advertisement.jpg
Gillette 1949 Super Speed Razor Left, Gillette 1950 V-3 Super Speed Razor Right Blade Tray Views.JPG
Gillette 1949 Display Case badger and Blade.jpg
Gillette 1949 Super Speed Razor with Styrene Case and Ten Blade Speed Pak Dispenser Open View.JPG
Gillette 1950 V3 Super Speed Razor and Case .JPG

Top Bottom