What's new

195 / Fat Boy confusion

This really makes me wonder about the 195 / Fat Boy confusion. Is it possible that the regular Fat Boy was also sold under the 195 name?

It has long been speculated that the 195 was the true name of the Fat Boy. Some instruction booklets in FatBoys have the 195 logo on it. I think if you ask Tye the 195 he bought had the same instructions as from the Fat Boy. It should be noted that Fat Boy was in all probability not the name from Gillette. It would have been "The Gillette Adjustable" or "The Gillette 195 Adjustable" As they didn't make the slim and fat handled ones at the same time. It is only recently that those terms have been thrown arround.

The only cases that say 195 are the ones with the magnifier on the middle. All others are adjustable at the top and the razor has the knob at the top.

Very confusing and has actually made some sellers swear that they are selling a 195 and pumping the price up even though it is a regular Fat Boy.

Thanks for posting the box I hadn't seen that one yet.

rustyblade said:
That box nearly made me wet myself until I saw the regular ol' fatboy in the next picture. :)

You have no idea how hard the evil half of me pushed for posting that just as "Gillette 195 in box on ebay" without anything to suggest that it might not be what we know as a 195.... But I thought people might hunt me down and hack me apart with rusty antique gillette blades.

I wish it was a 195, not because I want to buy it, just that I love to watch a good auction. There would be half of B&B and SMF watching that one.

I too like a good auction. Hell, I think I got involved in the last two 195 auctions. Aren't we overdue for another?

I have to agree with James, There is more ''evidence'' that the fatboy is a permutation of a 195 than not- there was a good post awhile back on this also I will dig around and try to find it.

rustyblade said:
I wish it was a 195, not because I want to buy it, just that I love to watch a good auction. There would be half of B&B and SMF watching that one.

If it was a 195 in the box and new it would have been almost as good as the build up to the super bowl!

rustyblade said:

Probably the same half!

Randy

If you want to watch one heck of an auction, one is forthcoming. You'll have to find it yourself though (too many people get riled when you talk about an upcoming auction). However, judging by the number of visitors to the page that shadowtool is reporting, it isn't a big secret at this point.

I will say that you'd better bring your "A" game if you want to play. :smile:

Um, doesn't it seem a little stupid to have the adjustment on the bottom where it gets in the way of your hand? I take it they did not make these for very long at all which is what makes them desireable?

fatt_tony said:
So what does a real "195" look like? Anyone have any pics of one?

Here ya' go. Note that the adjustment dial is immediately above the TTO knob.

proxy.php

It isn't mine, btw. Maybe one day...

Edit: awww, you beat me to it!

Mike02 said:
Um, doesn't it seem a little stupid to have the adjustment on the bottom where it gets in the way of your hand? I take it they did not make these for very long at all which is what makes them desireable?
No.. It actually provides a nice grip..

guenron said:
No.. It actually provides a nice grip..

I found it isn't that comfortable to hold while shaving. It is a heavy, well balanced razor, but it has to be held by your fingertips on the end. You can't actually use the handle above the adjustment knob because it is too far up. The TTO mechanism doesn't have that final "quarter turn" to lock down the blade like the Fat Boy and long handle adjustables. Since it is based on the same platform as the toggle, I suppose it doesn't feature this. It just turns and stops, so there is a chance for it to annoyingly come loose while shaving.

rustyblade said:
I found it isn't that comfortable to hold while shaving. It is a heavy, well balanced razor, but it has to be held by your fingertips on the end. You can't actually use the handle above the adjustment knob because it is too far up. The TTO mechanism doesn't have that final "quarter turn" to lock down the blade like the Fat Boy and long handle adjustables. Since it is based on the same platform as the toggle, I suppose it doesn't feature this. It just turns and stops, so there is a chance for it to annoyingly come loose while shaving.
Have you ever had the TTO come loose? Actually I think the adjustment knob adds to the balance. Hmm... If you really find yours ill suited to the task, perhaps you wish to sell it?:wink2:

guenron said:
Have you ever had the TTO come loose? Actually I think the adjustment knob adds to the balance. Hmm... If you really find yours ill suited to the task, perhaps you wish to sell it?:wink2:

I've had it loosen a bit, but not come loose enough to affect the doors.

The 195 is most definitely a collector's item and a nice razor, but just not a practical shaver. I honestly think due to their incredibly small numbers it was a test run that failed probably due to it's design. I'm not saying it is a bad shaver, just not as easy to hold as a Fat Boy.

Just think back 50 years ago, if Merkur released an incredibly badly designed razor today that was hard to hold <COUGH>FUTUR<COUGH><COUGH>, who would buy it? We would probably pan it if there were a lot of other DE choices out there (like there was nearly 50 years ago). In 50 years it could be worth something, but in the case of the poor Futur, probably not.

Top Bottom