What's new

1949 Gillette Executive - Mint Set

Nice one Glenn, the Executive is on my short favorite list. I know yours is collector grade, but I enjoy the shave, the way it feels in the hand.
They got a lot of things right with that one. Congrats.

Glenn, I'm not so sure you did that well. Honestly, you may have been taken advantage of. Your best bet is to ship it to me, so I can compare it to the best English razor. I can report back to you after an evaluation period.

Seriously, fantastic pick up. Definitely the best looking US razor.

Fantastic score at a very good price IMHO!

The NOS ones with shippers went for $700 - $1400 and your's would be the next level down so a a pretty fair price IMHO

Awesome find. I saw that one as well and almost pulled the trigger. The mirror flaw turned me off though. Looks like that is what they all look like so my bad. Congrats on a beautiful purchase. My consolation was a sweet and shiny 1910 abc gunmetal shell set w/ a gold shell razor. Still kind of jealous of the ostrich. Enjoy it.

Beautiful!

Thanks guys. I knew that I couldn't do anything about the mirror blemish so I just went with it because the rest of the kit was so cherry. I guess the glue from the factory was corrosive to the mirror's silver backing. Gillette's bad. Thanks again.

Nice one Glenn, the Executive is on my short favorite list. I know yours is collector grade, but I enjoy the shave, the way it feels in the hand.
They got a lot of things right with that one. Congrats.

Thanks Tom I'm going to enjoy it. I had the chance to get a user grade for a good price but it came at me too fast and was gone. I'll be on the look out. :001_smile

Glenn, I'm not so sure you did that well. Honestly, you may have been taken advantage of. Your best bet is to ship it to me, so I can compare it to the best English razor. I can report back to you after an evaluation period.

Seriously, fantastic pick up. Definitely the best looking US razor.

Jeff thanks for looking out for me and offering to take my lowly American made razor for an eval. Lol. Seriously I'm loving it. Thanks.

Fantastic score at a very good price IMHO!

The NOS ones with shippers went for $700 - $1400 and your's would be the next level down so a a pretty fair price IMHO

Thank you so much Mark. This was a key piece of information I was missing when I made my bid; so I had to do it semi in the blind. I was actually thinking of PMing you after the fact but didn't want to bother the master. :ouch1:

Last edited:
A great set and worth the investment. The mirror issue is a QA issue Gillette introduced by compromising on the quality of the glue used to affix the mirror. Some crafty owners have been able to repair this by replacing the mirror. The razor is quite effective and cleans up well. And it will be an excellent addition in your display. Congratulations!

A great set and worth the investment. The mirror issue is a QA issue Gillette introduced by compromising on the quality of the glue used to affix the mirror. Some crafty owners have been able to repair this by replacing the mirror. The razor is quite effective and cleans up well. And it will be an excellent addition in your display. Congratulations!

Thanks! I would get a beater set to practice the repair on first if I was to attempt to repair the mirror. But it doesn't really bother me so I'm going to leave it alone. Thanks again.

Thanks! I would get a beater set to practice the repair on first if I was to attempt to repair the mirror. But it doesn't really bother me so I'm going to leave it alone. Thanks again.

Would not be an Executive unless it had the glue ring, part it's DNA.:thumbup1:

Awesome Score! :thumbup1: My '49 Executive is the Pride of My collection. It's so Beautiful to look at and to Shave with. My Ex never understood the Fascination with a 65 y/o razor.

Very nice, congrats on getting it. That's the year I was born. :thumbup1: :w00t:

Nice. I don't mean to be a wet blanket but the set may be from 1950. Someone has said the foil wrapped blades mean the set came from 1950; cellophane wrapped means 1949. I'm not 100% on that but I heard it. But there was an open blade in the razor. It says "T3". That is 1948???

Awesome Score! :thumbup1: My '49 Executive is the Pride of My collection. It's so Beautiful to look at and to Shave with. My Ex never understood the Fascination with a 65 y/o razor.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom