What's new

1947 Gold Aristocrat: new adquisition

I wanted to share with you my new adquisition.
Aristocrat gold 1.jpeg
Aristocrat gold 2.jpeg
Aristocrat gold 1.jpeg
Aristocrat gold 2.jpeg
Gold Aristocrat 3.jpeg
Gold Aristocrat 4.jpeg
Gold Aristocrat 5.jpeg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Looks to be in wonderful condition. Could be a '46 ... do you have the case, too?

Congrats!

@barba do you have many vintage Gillette razors? That aristocrat looks pristine!... Best way to keep it that way is more razors in your collection ;)
My first vintage tto was a D1 Executive aka gold Fatboy. I got it for forty bucks on fleabay because it was a dark grainy photo with no bidders. I thought it was a regular Fatboy the pics were so dark. To my surprise it was a mint condition executive!
Point being it has been 10 years now, I still use it every week, and the end caps are brasing on the ends a bit. Fortunately I scored a NOS in the shipper executive that is solely to be admired and used on special occasion.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Yah, idk either.
I think it's funny so many modern razors use an OC... Gillette abandoned it for good reason, teeth bend and break when dropped or they're tapped out in the sink.
Many (I included) believe the OC was used early by Gillette as it looked familiar to a barbers straight with a comb guard.
After years of warranty replacements and repairs (baseplates repaired are stamped), they went to the solid guard for rigidity and to stretch the skin ahead of the blade.

Edit- OC's do look badA$$, and stainless is stronger than brass... perhaps that's why we're still seeing new ones.

Last edited:
@barba do you have many vintage Gillette razors? That aristocrat looks pristine!... Best way to keep it that way is more razors in your collection ;)
My first vintage tto was a D1 Executive aka gold Fatboy. I got it for forty bucks on fleabay because it was a dark grainy photo with no bidders. I thought it was a regular Fatboy the pics were so dark. To my surprise it was a mint condition executive!
Point being it has been 10 years now, I still use it every week, and the end caps are brasing on the ends a bit. Fortunately I scored a NOS in the shipper executive that is solely to be admired and used on special occasion.

YES, I've got many vintage Gillettes! I live in Argentina, and here very few people use de razors. Most people use cartridges. I found and became a big fun of traditional shaving about a year ago. And in that lapse I bought many vintage razors, most of them are Gillette, but some are Made in Argentina of other brands (like "Legión Extranjera", that belonged to my father in law). I can share some pics with you if you want.
My go-to razor is a Gillette slim. I didn't try the gold aristocrat yet, but soon I'll do!

Very nice! I have one notched and one unnotched. They both provide excellent shaves. I find the unnotched one to be a bit more efficient, could just be me.

Very nice! I have one notched and one unnotched. They both provide excellent shaves. I find the unnotched one to be a bit more efficient, could just be me.
Brother bdehne, I suggest your unnotched razor is a 1946-1947 Aristocrat and the notched one is a 1948-1950 Aristocrat. I have 'em both. And you're right, the former is slightly more efficient during the shave.

Top Bottom