What's new

1947 Gillette Super Speed - "no notch" / (with: "tabs" / "wings")

I just purchased a very physically sound looking (with one exception) 1947 - "no notch" / (with: "tabs" / "wings") Gillette Super Speed razor. Both of the TTO silo doors fully open and close, and it appears (just by looking at it, not by physically measuring the blade gap with a feeler gauge) that the blade gap is even and the same on both sides of the razor. However, one silo door opens slightly, but noticeably more than the other (one silo door fully opens normally, while the other opens slightly too much)!? What would cause this to happen, and is it a problem? If it is a problem, how can I fix this problem?

* - I have not used the razor yet, because I still need to clean and sanitize the razor.
** - I cannot currently send a picture of the razor, as I am currently away from home (the razor is not currently with me).

Thank you,

Steve

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
First of all, congrats! Those first year Super Speeds are sweet.

Second, it's not a problem. But ... I've fixed many with similar symptoms just to make them perfect. Easy fix but let's see the pics first.

Congrats on the new razor! Sounds like a beauty. As the internals wear over the years, you can get some "sloppiness" in the action when open. But if it closes up nice and tightly, and the doors are aligned properly when closed, that's all that really matters.

Steve; Congratulations on your 1947 Super Speed- I second Doug and the other's assessments. I have experienced the same problem on a 1947 as well in the past, and Captain Murphy corrected the alignment so that it worked perfectly. Pictures do tell the tale though, and the usual suspect is that the razor has been dropped at some point in its history. By all indications so far, based on what you have said- the blade silo door alignment can probably be corrected without difficulty. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

R

romsitsa

Check wether or not the end caps are straight, your symptom sounds like one side is bent inwards.

Adam

I discovered, and fixed the cause of the problem. One of the silo door attachment arms was very slightly (almost imperceptibly) bent inward. . . I straightened it out, and it is now operating flawlessly! Thanks for sharing your ideas as to what the cause of the problem might be!

I discovered, and fixed the cause of the problem. One of the silo door attachment arms was very slightly (almost imperceptibly) bent inward. . . I straightened it out, and it is now operating flawlessly! Thanks for sharing your ideas as to what the cause of the problem might be!
Glad you fixed it

Top Bottom