What's new

1947-48 Gillette Super Speed TTO (question on date codes)

Need a little help from more experienced B&B members. I am looking for a 1940s Super Speed. I've found one, but there is no date code on the back. When I go to Razor Emporium and check out their date codes (here) and they list date codes for the late 40s for TTO and Tech. However, the B&B link I received says NDC (here).

So I'm a bit confused...or most likely, I'm misreading the Razor Emporium page. Or both!

Any insights will be helpful in furthering my learning as I start to build my collection.

Thanks.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
The 40’s style superspeeds had no date codes until the 50’s. So if you found one sans date code, it’s either an early version (with no notch on center bar) or a later version (with a notched center bar). They’re all wonderful shavers, but some prefer the no notched version. If you love history, you’ll want to find a pre-war Ranger Tech. It was the father of the 40’s style superspeeds, and ceased production in the wake of Pearl Harbor. If you post a picture, that will help with an ID.

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Gillette used date codes on blades, maybe that's what the non-B&B site refers to ... and me, I don't ever click on Razor Emporium. As above, no codes until some V test codes on razors in 1950. There are some subtle differences in NDC Super Speeds that can narrow it down somewhat.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
IMG_4990.JPG

If it looks like this, you've got yourself a 1947.

IMG_4991.JPG

If it looks like this, it's a 48-49. To my knowledge, there is no way to distinguish those two years just by looking at the razor.

(Note: this pic is actually a '55 Red Tip, but the notched center bar looks more or less the same as the 48-49 SSs.)

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
View attachment 885686
If it looks like this, it's a 48-49. To my knowledge, there is no way to distinguish those two years just by looking at the razor.

(Note: this pic is actually a '55 Red Tip, but the notched center bar looks more or less the same as the 48-49 SSs.)

On a '48-'49, as I reckon, the word PACKAGE is spelled out, then around 1950 it changed to PKG, like your photo, just as you said, "more or less". There's the crimping change, too, wish I could remember all the nuances like I used to.

This is so helpful. As a newbie and starting off my collecting of razors, this insight and the story/history behind razors as well as the interaction with history, really helps close (or start to close) loops for me.

As I learned about "Red, Blue and Black Tips", I had no idea these were also Super Speeds. Then the re-post above by Keen Dog about Tony, and the other insights from nemo and tankerjohn have really helped. The quality of the info at B&B and the people is what sets this site apart from all others.

Keep it coming if anything else to add...and hopefully someday I can add more back to future threads.

AsylumGuido's Super Speed ID thread seems to be an informative one and not so long winded in my opinion. Super Speed Identification
Hi. Is a 1954 Z3 or Z4 Super Speed more valuable than most Super Speeds? Based on one of the pictures talking about the re-release of the Super Speed (non-Flare) in 1954 with a limited edition "last hurrah" as commented on by AsylumGuido. If I find one in good condition, under $40, should I buy? Just curious as I dug into that older post.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Hi. Is a 1954 Z3 or Z4 Super Speed more valuable than most Super Speeds?

Not really, unless you have the correct TV Special plastic case but even then it's only a marginal difference in worth. More of a finishing of remaining inventory than a re-release of a model.

Got it. Thought it might be something like that.

Would $30 be reasonable, or too high, for a very clean, mechanically sound Z-3 Super Speed? Seems like it should be lower but again, I’m new to collecting.

As a newbie to razor collecting, I see many listings where the price is higher for a razor plus case. Seems odd to pay more for a case but i guess if its pristine, with all materials and its a display razor, I can see a small amount higher. But some listings I see want premiums for cases. I guess it depends on the collector and what its used for.

Thanks again.

Got it. Thought it might be something like that.

Would $30 be reasonable, or too high, for a very clean, mechanically sound Z-3 Super Speed? Seems like it should be lower but again, I’m new to collecting.

As a newbie to razor collecting, I see many listings where the price is higher for a razor plus case. Seems odd to pay more for a case but i guess if its pristine, with all materials and its a display razor, I can see a small amount higher. But some listings I see want premiums for cases. I guess it depends on the collector and what its used for.

Thanks again.

Like you, I am just getting into the history of these razors for a few months. My first Super Speed turns out to be late 1950 because it says PKG rather than Package. I looked through hundreds of auctions and found a no notch version from 1947. I paid less than $7 for each. You just need to be patient and diligent in searching. Also be creative in your search terms. Don't search on "1947 no notch super speed". Rather search on "older Gillette safety razor" or "vintage Gillette silver razor". The hunt is fun and when you get what you are looking for, the razor means more to you.

I just recently got a 1954 "flair tip" that I thought was from 1979 because of the date code Z2. As you know Gillette used the alphabet for year codes. 1954 was Z just as 1979 was Z also. This is why the red tips made from 1955-59 were A, B, C, D, and E. Opposite the letters are numbers which Gillette used for quarter codes so that a A2 would represent second quarter 1955.

So, for me, if I have a 1947 Super Speed, the one without the notch, I am experiencing the same razor as the more expensive Aristocrat. Depending on your interest and where you want to go, if razor are a way for you to experience the past, it is not necessary to have the most expensive tools. The more you learn from the expertise of the members here, the better you can accomplish you goals.

Top Bottom