What's new

1943 Gillette razor -- availability?

My Dad was born in 1943, so I thought it would be cool to find and purchase a razor from that year, 1943 Date Code "N" Tech, from here:

http://www.geocities.com/safetyrazors/gil_ser2.htm

However, and my Dad warned me about this, I can't seem to find them anywhere. He told me when I mentioned it that Gillette was only making razors for the military during those years, and he didn't think many made it out to the general public.

Sure enough, on that geocities page, under 1943 it lists:

"War production only Limited civilian prod'n"

So how do you guys like my odds of:

a) finding a 1943 Gillette Tech razor that someone has
b) convincing that someone to sell it at all, or if it is for sale, to sell it a fair market value
c) if I achieve "b" above, what is "fair market value?"

Anyone know? Is this the kind if thing that only hardcore collectors would have access to? Anyone have a Dad/Uncle/Grandpa/relative who was in the war in 1943, and happens to have his old Gov't-issued razor still around? :wink:

Thanks in advance for any information or help you can provide.

Jason,

Date codes were suspended from use between 1931 - 1950; as such, there will be no markings on the Tech to indicate that it was produced in 1943. I would assume from the year, that you'd be looking for a razor with the following specs:

1. A thick handle

2. Triangular slots in the guard plate

3. No corner notches in the guard plate

4. A single, long centre bar on underside of top plate (instead of 2 smaller bars)

5. Possibly missing the Gillette Trademark design on the top of razor

As Tech's are 3-piece razors and their parts interchangable, it may be difficult to find one that matches all the above specs -- but don't let that deter you. Tech's are a common razor. I'm sure you'll find one that meets most of these specs which, IMO would be close enough! :001_smile

Cheers!

You may considering getting your dad a razor manufactured in the year he first started shaving. You may even find the exact model razor that he first stared shaing with. I'm certain this razor would be appreciated and your dad would relate to it as much if not more than one from the year he was born. You would also able to verify the year of manufacture if it was a Gillette and chances are it was a Gillette which would be fairly easy to obtain. I still have the original Gillette razor that I started shaving with and one day will pass on to my son.

I've already asked him if he kept around any of his old Gillette/etc. DE razors, but alas he did not. The 1943 razor is for me. He's already told me (while I was relating to him my new-found hobby) that he doesn't miss the days of DE razors, he's fine with an electric for the rare times he does shave. He's 63, retired, and doesn't shave very often anymore. :biggrin:

I just thought it would be cool to add a 1943 razor to my personal collection, sort of as a tribute to him. I'm sure he'd appreciate it if I found one from 1943 for him, or even one from the first year he started shaving (about 1956? 1958?) but I don't think he really wants to go back to "those days."

He's already said to me, "You use the same blade for multiple days?" and, "You make more than a single pass?" I guess back in those days, guys used a blade once, threw it out and used a fresh one everyday.

My, how times have changed. :smile:

Top Bottom