What's new

1940s Regent Tech

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
1940: clear tray, large ring at center bar, Made in USA
1941: PAT.NOS.ON PACKAGE, large ring at center bar, Made in USA
1946: PAT.NOS.ON PACKAGE, large ring at center bar, endcaps, Made in U.S.A.

It's a 1941 Aristocrat. No endcaps. Easy visual test.
Thanks, Dave. It’s good to get confirmation from time to time.:001_smile

Thanks, Dave. It’s good to get confirmation from time to time.:001_smile
I know, when I found my '41, I couldn't figure out if it was a Regent or A'crat. It was in an A'crat case, but without the endcaps, I was confused. There wasn't any evidence of solder or lost endcaps, but there was text in the tray, moving it from 1940 to 1941.
Achim's A'crat Tree is clear, concise, and is supported by both history and the common ethos of that time: The Protestant-Work-Ethic. A quick, crude, and dirty explanation is success=favor, so people worked hard, provided quality, and offered innovation to show they were, in Calvin's theological perspective, "Chosen", "Elect", "Set Apart", etc. As a result, people took pride in their work, product, and effort. But to go deeper is a thread in it's own right.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I know, when I found my '41, I couldn't figure out if it was a Regent or A'crat. It was in an A'crat case, but without the endcaps, I was confused. There wasn't any evidence of solder or lost endcaps, but there was text in the tray, moving it from 1940 to 1941.
Achim's A'crat Tree is clear, concise, and is supported by both history and the common ethos of that time: The Protestant-Work-Ethic. A quick, crude, and dirty explanation is success=favor, so people worked hard, provided quality, and offered innovation to show they were, in Calvin's theological perspective, "Chosen", "Elect", "Set Apart", etc. As a result, people took pride in their work, product, and effort. But to go deeper is a thread in it's own right.
upload_2018-10-18_9-54-43.gif

Here is the proof about end caps and base plates concerning 40 Regent Techs and 41 Aristocrats

first is what I would consider a legit 40 Regent Tech this picture is of @Esox razor. If he is up to it and can put up a picture of the base plate and center bar would be appreciated to show the lack of Pat nos on Package marking. Handle style is correct and we know they didn't revise the handle style till at least 47 at the earliest. What makes this a good razor to use as baseline is it hasn't been finished in anyway at all. Those tabs are the original what is left of them gold wash. That should be enough to prove that it legitimately didn't have end caps. If everything razor 1941 and up had end caps then this is a Regent Tech. If they didn't it still is since we know the 1930s TTO razors didn't have end caps either.
regentech1.jpg

Now here is the proof this razor came with end caps and either is a 41 Aristocrat or 40 Regent Tech with end caps.
First here is a 41 that is missing the end caps we know this because coloration of the tabs.
Notice the lack of Pat Nos on Package on base plate.
41 aristocrat.jpg

Here is for sure the same razor with the end caps now. This one belongs to B&B member @triplepass. You can clearly see the Aristocrat handle through the safety bars.
Notice the lack of Pat Nos on Package on the handle
41end caps.jpg

Better and more pictures here showing the endcaps and other angles of this razor.
Ranger Tech, Milord, or Regent Tech? Need help Identifying this razor please

Either the Regent Tech came with or without end caps or there is no way to distinguish visually a 40 for 41 here without a case when they do legitimately have end caps. This is my whole argument about Regent Techs being over priced because of the case. Is that case worth the premium? The razor itself is the same sans end caps in one case or not in the other. Refinished razors there is no way to tell especially when they are missing end caps before being refinished. Anyone can slap a 41 Aristocrat in a Regent Tech case and there is no way to know if it has been redone. In the other case there is no way to know either even if they weren't refinished. @Esox is the only Regent Tech razor I can confidently say is legit and would pay more for because the provenance can be proved and this is how.

YAWN ........ Gillette TTO razors from 1934 to 1945 do NOT have endcaps. 1946 on have endcaps. Posting your opinion as fact will not change the proven history of Gillette. Garbage in yields garbage out. Repeating a falsehood doesn't change the facts that it is a falsehood.

IF you believe that a uncased 1940 Regent is exactly the same razor as a uncased 1941 Aristocrat, you might have a point and be correct. BUT, in the COLLECTOR world, the case can be the determining factor when all things are equal. That is the importance of cases to Collectors of which you are clearly not.

You are going to keep trying to "prove" your point/theory and post pics from the web and now trying the same with a pic of a known members razor. It doesn't fly. IMO you lost all credibility when you attacked Mr-Razor's web site. I have seen your posts on the other shaving web sites and it appears you have been given the same reception for the most part - crickets...... I believe you have a strong suspicion that the sellers on Ebay are all crooks, trying to sell you razors that are not what they claim they are. Not all and I would say very very few attempt to do that. It cost more to re-plate a razor than they would every get. Collectors don't want re-plated razors, so that theory of yours is DOA. Another theory of yours was the fake Fatboys, combining a Fatboy with a Toggle??? Be real, it's not going to happen and you can't show even 1 example of it.

You have claimed way to much without any hard facts other than your pics which for the most part have not proven anything. Please stop now, I think B&B has indulged your fantasies long enough. I don't want to put you on ignore as I do believe that someday you may post something important and I wouldn't want to miss it.

Of course if you are a case collector and in the case of a set collector then original pieces unfinished is what is important. A razor collector goes by razors first then the case and or other pieces in the set.

Thanks for the pictures. Set or case collectors are arguing names of razors, look at British Aristocrats what was the solution to separate the set names from razor types by gens. The other point I wanted to bring up is the fact set collecting here is caveat emptor big time. Case collectors they know the case is legit unless dealing with reproductions like the WWI khaki sets for example.

If you own a set you are going to argue the both with and without end caps to justify a premium in sale price for a razor that in an Aristocrat case would be significantly less. The buyer is going to argue the opposite to get a lower price. Neither can prove which is right except in the case of a razor like yours. Now put a refinished razor in a Regent Tech case all bets are off. Aristocrat case shouldn't move the price except end caps or not once refinished maybe to recoup the plating cost which as a buyer I can gauge if that is the reason for the premium.

Last edited:
These steps are, what I know:

1940: clear tray, large ring at center bar, Made in USA
1941: PAT.NOS.ON PACKAGE, large ring at center bar, Made in USA
1946: PAT.NOS.ON PACKAGE, large ring at center bar, endcaps, Made in U.S.A.
1947: PAT.NOS.ON PACKAGE, large ring at center bar, endcaps, crease in baseplate, Made in U.S.A.
1948: PAT.NOS.ON PACKAGE, large ring at center bar, endcaps, crease in baseplate, notches, Made in U.S.A.
1949: PAT.NOS.ON PACKAGE, large ring at center bar, endcaps, crease in baseplate, notches, Made in U.S.A.
early 1950: PAT.NOS.ON PACKAGE, smal ring at center bar, endcaps, crease in baseplate, notches, Made in U.S.A.
late 1950: PAT.NOS.ON PKG, smal ring at center bar, endcaps, crease in baseplate, notches, test date code "V3", Made in U.S.A.
1951: PAT.NOS.ON PKG, smal ring at center bar, endcaps, crease in baseplate, notches, date code, Made in U.S.A.
@mr-razor you're clearly making a distinction between the 46 and 47 crats by way of "crease in baseplate" or lack thereof.
Can you, or anyone by chance post a pic of the two?...I'm not following.
This is very interesting to me as I've often seen people post 46/47 crat like they're the same. If there's a distinction, it would be nice if people would comment as one or the other.

On another note, I'm also not following what's meant by "creased" or "curved" center bars. I've got a 46/47 (at least what I've thought it was for a few years) and would like to know which it actually is if possible.

TIA!

Here is mine; no case but expertly plated by Chris Spencer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    990.4 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    968.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
@mr-razor you're clearly making a distinction between the 46 and 47 crats by way of "crease in baseplate" or lack thereof.
Can you, or anyone by chance post a pic of the two?...I'm not following.
This is very interesting to me as I've often seen people post 46/47 crat like they're the same. If there's a distinction, it would be nice if people would comment as one or the other.

On another note, I'm also not following what's meant by "creased" or "curved" center bars. I've got a 46/47 (at least what I've thought it was for a few years) and would like to know which it actually is if possible.

TIA!

20220117_092406.jpg

Top Bottom