What's new

1940's Gillette New vs 1920's Gillette New

So I have a 1940's open comb Gillette New and it has quickly become my favourite razor. I am pretty sure it's this one:

proxy.php

But today on FB Marketplace place I saw someone selling a 1920's New (the kind where the comb piece is attached to the handle). I think it is this one:
proxy.php

I was just wondering if anyone has used both. And if so other than how they are put together would there be any big shaving difference between the two?

Hi, the top one is a "NEW" and the bottom is a New Improved. I have shaved with both and I prefer the NEW. Both are good shavers and there will probably be advocates for both. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I own a razor like the one in the top image and it's one of my absolute favorites. It's a Gillette NEW Long Comb and I believe they date from the 1920s, but I'm not a collector or an expert.

The New Improved was introduced in 1921 and the NEW in 1929.

They improved on the Old Type, introducing these new features
IMG_20220130_011444.jpg

Hence the name, New Improved Gillette razor.

The NEW was designed to be used with different blades, the New Gillette Blade

1930_Gillette_advert_for_the_Gillette_New_razor_and_blade,_The_U.F.A.,_1_April,_1930.jpg

Hope it all makes sense now.

Hi, the top one is a "NEW" and the bottom is a New Improved. I have shaved with both and I prefer the NEW. Both are good shavers and there will probably be advocates for both. I don't think you can go wrong either way.
Like I said the top model I already own. When you say you prefer the New would you say there is a lot of difference between it and the New Improved. Like I am interested in the design of these old razors and how they perform, but my wife already makes fun of me for having 3 razors and one face, so getting another one that was fairly similar would probably just lead to more of that.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Like I said the top model I already own. When you say you prefer the New would you say there is a lot of difference between it and the New Improved. Like I am interested in the design of these old razors and how they perform, but my wife already makes fun of me for having 3 razors and one face, so getting another one that was fairly similar would probably just lead to more of that.
The NEW LC is one of the best razors that Gillette ever made and for me it gives me a much smoother feeling on my face compared to the New improved model

I haven't tried the New Improved or the NEW De Luxe, so I can't comment on them, but i've used most of the NEW series and I like them a lot. The British RFB and FB seem slightly better compared to the NEW LC, but the difference isn't that huge while the NEW SC has a noticeable difference and is my least favorite of the bunch, but still a good shaver.

I don’t notice much difference between the two. The NEW is a bit smoother for me.

I don’t notice much difference between the two. The NEW is a bit smoother for me.
That's helpful thanks. So then my next question would be, if I was looking out for another vintage Gillette, what would be a model that would be a big change from the New (note that I already have a tech)?

That's helpful thanks. So then my next question would be, if I was looking out for another vintage Gillette, what would be a model that would be a big change from the New (note that I already have a tech)?
I would branch out from 3-piece, and possibly even USA models. Something like a flare tip rocket would be a nice addition without breaking the bank. You get great mild-medium shaves, smooth performance, a 1-piece TTO design and the English razors feel superb.

Outside of that an adjustable like a Slim or Fatboy would do well and be a versatile addition to your collection.

Top Bottom