What's new

1934 Gillette Aristocrat Adjustable!

Ok, this is not some newly discovered historical unobtainum.

I’ve been on an Aristocrat kick the last 2-3 months. I can blame @bobmsp, who graciously loaned me a few English Aristocrats and a Popular a few months back.
5FFDA6E4-2E33-4FBC-A7C6-E774CCBA8C28.jpeg

I’ve since got a #15, and #19.
I’d always wanted to try a 1934 Aristocrat. After all, it’s the first Gillette TTO. And gorgeous. I’ve now got a couple very nice 1934’s. Somewhere along the line I ran across pictures of a museum piece. An absolutely perfect 1934, with all tags and shipper’s. I saved the following tag picture.

B85997C3-BE63-4705-AF70-057B696FA2ED.jpeg

On the face of it, loosening up a TTO just sounds dead wrong! Blasphemous! Dangerous! Recipe for disaster!

But there it is. An official Gillette recommendation to do exactly that.
Now I do like the shave from a 1934, but I generally like razors that are moderately aggressive. In other words, a bit more aggressive than the stock 1934.
417E7039-4231-407C-A79B-C33ECBFC7FA2.jpeg

In true Badger and Blade Crash Test Dummy fashion, I had to give it a try.

Amazing. It actually works! Now there’s a couple things to keep in mind. The knob will loosen as you shave.

My first try, I probably opened it a 1/2 turn. Within a minute or so, it went from “gee, that’s close to a New Deluxe”, to “Oh my! A Cuban shavette is less aggressive!”
(Cuban shavette: Take an Old Type, toss the baseplate. Put blade between handle and cap. Shave VERY carefully)
By the time I got to my neck, doors were about 1/4 Open. Over the top.

I’ve actually continued to play with this for a few more shaves. Works best with handle snugged closed, then backed open about 1/4 turn. About 4 times during a shave, I stop, snug the handle, then open it 1/4 turn. A little fiddley, but it works.
So yes Virginia, there is a 1934 Aristocrat adjustable!:a17:

And FYI, the Old Type is also an adjustable.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I wonder if the Sheraton/Senator would work the same way? I am not sure I have the balls to try it.

I wonder if the Sheraton/Senator would work the same way? I am not sure I have the balls to try it.
No idea. I have thought to give it a try with an English Rocket, as the TTO mechanism feels like it’s full of hydraulic fluid. Would think possibly less movement in the knob.

I’m not absolutely sure, but the 1934 might be a one off mechanism. From what I’ve read, they were inspected to a fair the well, and guaranteed for life. They really wanted it to succeed. The 1936 is different.

Should have included that there was no blade chatter. Was kind of expecting some.

Nice thread, Mark!

I was given that advice (adjusting the Aristocrat) when I said I found it 'mild'. The thing is I find the method a bit 'unprecise' so the result is... I rarely use that beauty... Sad, I know...

My thought is that this adjustable thing is just left over from the old Single Rings days. The Single Ring talks about loosening and tightening the handle to adjust. As you discovered this doesn't work well with the TTO and Gillette dropped promoting it. You should be able to do this with any TTO (but I won't).

I think if @bobmsp gave you the Aristocrat sickness, he has to give you one. It's in the rules somewhere, I think.
Well, you are a Steward, ergo a keeper of the rules and norms.:a17:
Seriously, I was fortunate to have the opportunity to try those. Can’t ask much more than that.
There is only one sure fire treatment for Aristocrat sickness. More Aristocrats!
EC0480BB-54F2-45D2-AAAB-4448FCACBFD7.jpeg

Ok you've got enough Aristocrats now let's move on to what's next on your lust list...and I think I know what that is. LOL Nice collection my friend!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Without knowing any better I started using that technique with a Schick Krona in 1972 when it wasn't cutting close enough. Been doing it on and off with TTO razors since. I'm actually shocked you folks hadn't tried it until now.

Without knowing any better I started using that technique with a Schick Krona in 1972 when it wasn't cutting close enough. Been doing it on and off with TTO razors since. I'm actually shocked you folks hadn't tried it until now.
Any insight you could share? Does it work better/worse with certain razors?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

It worked with the Brit Rocket I had, but backed off not quite a 1/4 turn made the blade chatter over my swirls. It works with my 1940 Regent, but the same issue occurs over my swirls. Its less noticeable with my D2 SS because it has less exposure.

If you watch the blade edge closely while you loosen the tension from tight to loose, you can watch the blade angle change. The problem is finding and keeping that sweet spot. Once loose, like Hoka says, they can become too loose quickly.

Its a bit surprising how much the blade does bend in my Regent. Much more so than the Rocket and SS, but the Regent has more exposure.

I think the older the design the more options you have when trying this. The older heads are of a different design and seem to offer a little more exposure, so you have more room to play with it.

When I used my Brit Rocket like that, again as Hoka mentions, the TTO mechanism tends to stay in place easier. I found it would only become looser by letting my little finger touch the knob as I altered my grip. My Regent is much the same. It operates like the Brit Rocket in feel and the tension on the last 1/4 turn or so when closing is obvious. Not at all like my SS that once the tension of the knob is released, I can shake the doors open.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I do have a #15 but it has never been used and I plan to keep it that way. Maybe I will have to hunt for an old user grade Brit.

Top Bottom