What's new

1932 Tech revisited.

So yesterday I decided to give the Canadian 1932 Tech razor another go. Just put a Red Personna in the razor, didn't use a brush, just canned shaving cream. I had to do three passes plus some touch up and I got a closer shave than with my Merkur HD. Mind you, I stretched my skin tight while I was doing ATG. Result, very good shave with no irritation. I think it shaved better than last because the blade probably suites the razor better than others and stretching the skin probably helped get a better shave. A couple of things that I like about the tech is: simple design, made very well and they are dirt cheap and plentiful. I run into lots of these razors in shops and flea markets. Saw a mint set a year ago with a soft folding case, but they wanted $45. I think it was one of those razors issued to G.I.'s during WWII. It didn't have a hard case, it was more of a canvas green cloth case.

I recently started using a tech because soapbox suggested it. I was looking for a razor for my head at the time. I find it gives just as good a shave as my progress.

I have shaved with mine that I just picked up for the past three days. I have been using a crystal blade in it. The shave is super comfortable and close but not as good as I have been getting with my previous three rotations (Merkur Classic, Black Tip and Fat Boy). All of which were with a Bic (I love that blade). Since I only have 2 Bic blades left I just put a Feather in and will see how it goes tomorrow.

Wait a second, 1932 Tech?
Gillette didn't come out with the Tech until the 40s when they switched the line up from opened combs to safety bar razors.:confused:

I have a tarnished, well used 40's fat handled Tech that I absolutely love. If I could choose a single razor to take with into the Great Beyond, my immediate choice would be this old friend.

Shaved again with the tech, awesome shave. I discovered that you can make the Tech more aggressive. When you insert the blade, I noticed that the blade will slide side to side a bit before you tighten it down by screwing the handle snug. Well if you slide the blade over to one side, it is closer to the edge of the blade guard rail, the other side less so. So one side is mild, the other is aggressive. The blade gap is the same on both sides, just that the blade edge is closer to one side of the blade guard compared to the other. So with the mild side, I use it to do a reduction pass, the other side I use WTG, ATG for a closer shave. So now that I can make the tech more agressive, it shave pretty well.

I say I prefer my '40's SuperSpeeds, but used a fat handled Tech with a red pack Personna this morning on three days growth, and it gave a two pass with touch up, a fine shave. What a razor, you couldn't ask for better. And I think I picked it up for $6 at an antique store.

Well shaved again with the Tech this morning, blade was a bit dull, but still good for one more shave and shave was great! I think once I get more used to shaving with the Tech and develop my technique better and try different blade/razor combos, I should get even better shaves. As before, I moved the blade over a bit to one side before tightening it down so I get different aggressiveness on each side. Anyway for some reason the tech seems to be working for me, they shave even closer than the Merkur HD! I notice this especially under the chin and neck area, it feels much smoother, especially when I run my fingers ATG. Also haven't cut or nicked myself. Mind you I do have to make an extra pass or two, but the resulting shave is very effective.

Also I like the two and three piece razors over the one piece. Why? Because the razors are very easy to take apart and clean. You just have a handle, top and bottom piece. Also every three piece razor I have has perfect blade gap alignment. The problem with the one piece is, harder to clean, you can't really take them apart, or if you can, not very easily, silo door hinges get bent, silo doors go out of alignment, guide rails get bent and there is some problem with blade gaps, especially with the Fatboy, slims and other adjustables. Basically if a one piece gets dropped, a lot of times something gets damaged or bent thet might be hard to fix.

I have a ball end Tech and this razor gives me an excellent irritation free shave time and time again. I think it's even better than the Merkur HD that I have.
I think I will try to find a fat handle Tech to replace my Merkur HD.

I have a ball end Tech and this razor gives me an excellent irritation free shave time and time again. I think it's even better than the Merkur HD that I have.
I think I will try to find a fat handle Tech to replace my Merkur HD.

I'm personally tore between my HD, a ball handle Tech and a fat handle tech! All of them deliver awesome shaves.

Haven't weighed them myself, but I'm fairly certain that the ball handle may actually weigh a bit more than the fat handle. (The fat handle is totally hollow.)

Not sure if that would make you change your mind. Grip is still great, nice knurling, just lighter.

And here is one dated with X-4 from 1952.
This Canadian has a thick handle and parallel slots in the blade quard.

Last edited:
My 1932 patent Tech Canadians are excellent razors. I typically use one with the triangular holes (supposedly more aggressive) for trying out new blades. I get a real good sense of the quality of the new blades from it. It is solid, easy to hold, and the angle of the blade in the guard is perfect for my beard.

A great razor. Viva le Tech Fattie!

i have a tarnished, well used 40's fat handled tech that i absolutely love. If i could choose a single razor to take with into the great beyond, my immediate choice would be this old friend.

+1. Archeologists will find my shiny Fat Tech buried next to me in my sarcophagus. Wrapped in fine linen.

Top Bottom