What's new

1930 Gillette Big Boy???

09DAB7B1-70CB-4C29-8103-D588229756E4.jpeg
Received this razor this morning from my awesome mother in law! Apparently belonged to my wife’s grandfather. I think it’s a 1930 Chrome Big Boy because of the serial 61724 (no “D”).

It was still loaded with a H4 blue blade (I think 1962 based on the other markings vice the earlier H). This is likely the last time it was used.

Am I correct? Very cool gift. Going to gently clean although the razor looks virtually new except for some light scuffing on top of the head.

Thanks all!! She is an amazing lady.

Romsita, thanks for the info on the blade. The 1960s date didn’t make a lot of sense with family history, 1930s is consistent.

Amazingly, that razor may have sat in a box loaded with that blade for 80 years before my MIL found it last month.

Merry Christmas everyone! I’ll report how it shaves!!

I love hearing these stories. That’s a great heirloom you’ve got there...enjoy it, take good care of it and pass it along to the next generation!

What a valuable gift. My grandfathers razor whas trown away because of lack of interest by anyone back in the day.
Even if you don't like the shave make sure you keep it.

View attachment 938001 Received this razor this morning from my awesome mother in law! Apparently belonged to my wife’s grandfather. I think it’s a 1930 Chrome Big Boy because of the serial 61724 (no “D”).

It was still loaded with a H4 blue blade (I think 1962 based on the other markings vice the earlier H). This is likely the last time it was used.

Am I correct? Very cool gift. Going to gently clean although the razor looks virtually new except for some light scuffing on top of the head.

Very cool that it's from your family. A great start for the new year plus looks to be in great shape.

Splendid NEW Big Boy Deluxe! I've not seen one in chromium though. That's got to be very rare. I have one in gold plating and a beautiful brass case. Makes me want to give mine a go around tomorrow! Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom