What's new

1927 Rolls Razor Imperial No2 Advice

Hi there,

As we all know the bay is not a great place for the bargain razor hunter these days. Last week I decided to make a point of stopping by my local charity shops every now and again and asking if they have had DE's or straights donated. The idea is to start to build a relationahip with them and hopefully they will remember my face and also to phone me if a decent razor comes in. They are no longer alowed to have razors on open display (UK Law) but most shops do get them donated and from my discussions with them they just don't know what to do with them, they can't put them on display and usually end up binning them.

First strike happened today, although I have to admit it is only a half strike. They had a 1927 Vintage Rolls, it was missing the handle and the case is missing a retaining lug on the strop side, there is a blade in the holder and whilst the box is shot the documentation and registration card is there complete with an old 1920's stamp. At least the lady was realistic about its condition and in the spirit of building that relationship I took it for the sake of a couple of pounds, it is a cancer charity shop which I believe is a worthy cause so I would donate a couple of pounds to them anyway if they were out collecting with tins.

To be honest I do not collect Rolls but it did give me the chance to have a good chat with her and she now knows what I am looking for. She did say decent razors come in from time to time so I am hopeful for the future. Question is what should I do with this Rolls? I could possibly keep it and look out for a handle, which is unlikely to turn up on it's own but perhaps I may come across a more battered set with a handle and make a complete Rolls set.

In the spirit of helping a fellow forum member I am also thinking of sticking it in the for sale section at cost plus postage although they are heavy so posting to the US may be a bit expensive.

Some pics.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

If anyone is interested in this let me know and I will get a shipping quote and then put in the sell / trade section, I did not do this straight away because I because I am willing to give it away for no profit whatsoever if it helps complete someones collection.

Thanks for the tip, checked the sides and unfortunately no handle, I guess the strop plate not securing properly has allowed the handle to escape during its travels. I'll give her a call tomorrow and see if she has a handle that does not belong to anything where she found the razor.

I know that and I knew it when I purchased it, I thought of it really as a donation to a cancer charity shop but at the same time a potential future source for vintage DE's/ I really only posted it to see if anyone wanted it for nothing other than postage. I know sometomes the hone gets ruined and would be willing to post it to someone for spares.

About a year ago I went to a local antique shop and I'm sure the guy said he had a spare handle. I think it was for the Imp no 2. A fair chance he still has it. Give me a pm if you are interested and I could check it out.

Hi there,
They are no longer allowed to have razors on open display (UK Law).

Which of our increasingly barking UK laws is that? Is it the same one which allows 17-year-olds to buy forks and spoons but not table knives? I'm thinking that couldn't apply to a DE razor though? Which doesn't even have a blade in it? Boots still sells its DE razors--with blades-- from open shelves.

I wouldn't give up on finding a handle--you do sometimes see them in boxes of bits in junk shops and boot sales. People don't know what they are and think they must be some kind of sewing implement. Then again complete Rolls razors aren't too hard to come by as very few were brave enough to shave with them. We had one in our family for ages and never went further than playing with the strop.

About a year ago I went to a local antique shop and I'm sure the guy said he had a spare handle. I think it was for the Imp no 2. A fair chance he still has it. Give me a pm if you are interested and I could check it out.

What a kind offer thanks very much, please do not go out of your way but if you are in there and he has it for little money I would reimburse you just to complete the set. I meant to ring the shop and see if the handle was lying around wherever the Rolls was found in the shop backroom.

I will ring them tomorrow and update this thread to let you know if they find the handle or not.

Which of our increasingly barking UK laws is that? Is it the same one which allows 17-year-olds to buy forks and spoons but not table knives? I'm thinking that couldn't apply to a DE razor though? Which doesn't even have a blade in it? Boots still sells its DE razors--with blades-- from open shelves.

I wouldn't give up on finding a handle--you do sometimes see them in boxes of bits in junk shops and boot sales. People don't know what they are and think they must be some kind of sewing implement. Then again complete Rolls razors aren't too hard to come by as very few were brave enough to shave with them. We had one in our family for ages and never went further than playing with the strop.

Thinking about it now what she said was "We are not allowed to have any razors on display" I guess because the Rolls has a blade it falls into this category but I am sure they can have DE's on display. Probably this guideline is for straights and since the Rolls is sort of in the middle they did not display it. I assumed it was the barking mad UK laws but perhaps this is the charity shop guidelines rather than a "real" law, (charity shop was Cancer Research UK). You are right though; you can pick up DE blades from Tescos and Boots etc so it cannot apply to empty DE's.

I will hold onto it for now and you never know I may come across a handle. Looking on the bay they are not exactly rare items and don't seem to sell well so for now I have a nice paperweight. There is a blade in it and it is sharp so it was an item someone was using.

What a kind offer thanks very much, please do not go out of your way but if you are in there and he has it for little money I would reimburse you just to complete the set. I meant to ring the shop and see if the handle was lying around wherever the Rolls was found in the shop backroom.

I will ring them tomorrow and update this thread to let you know if they find the handle or not.

Thinking about it now what she said was "We are not allowed to have any razors on display" I guess because the Rolls has a blade it falls into this category but I am sure they can have DE's on display. Probably this guideline is for straights and since the Rolls is sort of in the middle they did not display it. I assumed it was the barking mad UK laws but perhaps this is the charity shop guidelines rather than a "real" law, (charity shop was Cancer Research UK). You are right though; you can pick up DE blades from Tescos and Boots etc so it cannot apply to empty DE's.

I will hold onto it for now and you never know I may come across a handle. Looking on the bay they are not exactly rare items and don't seem to sell well so for now I have a nice paperweight. There is a blade in it and it is sharp so it was an item someone was using.

I probably can help you out. I went on a rolls buying spree about two years ago and I am overdosed. Many of them are really "parts" only and if you need a handle, pm me and I will see what I have.

Sorry for the delay in rsponding, I caled the shop and the lady that dug it out (the manager) was off and no one seemed to know where she got it from I waited till she came back and she called me yesterday to say that they did not have the handle.

Thank you for the kind offer but giving it some time to dwell on it I believe it is too far gone. The catch on one of the lids is bust and even the handle for the sharpner is suffering from heavy plate losss, it is only good for parts as the strop and hone are good. Given this I am not going to waste the postage.

Will look around for someone who does use these and give it to them but thanks once again for your kind offer.

Martin.

Top Bottom